Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
This will be massive for the Tories if they actually end up helping the poorest and most venerable people through this, they could end up getting more support.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Went to the dentist today in central Brighton...was quiet in town, and to make matters worse, Virgin internet was down!

All those poor sods trying to WFH who can’t get on the internet.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
My 68 year old mum just called. “Can I have details of your savings account so I can transfer 5k to pay for a funeral if I die?”

It is weird that this felt like a normal chat.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Sounds like the schools advice is very much about to change

Indeed, the school where Mrs Hut works shuts from tomorrow till 20th April

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Surely the reason Asia are so good at dealing with these situations is the control governments in many countries there have over its occupants? There’s been videos of what the Chinese government did early in the outbreak in China and realistically there is no way our government or most governments are going to go to those extremes. Obviously the brute force/threats has worked to stop the curve but hard to see the same happening in the West.

For example here or the US, guidance was put out and that same night people were pictured packing out night clubs and beaches.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Coronavirus / Covid-19

Surely the reason Asia are so good at dealing with these situations is the control governments in many countries there have over its occupants?

The chap on the R4 this morning who had predicted this and the 2008 crash (Nassim Nicholas Taleb) was talking about a lecture he gave in Singapore in 2013 at an academic conference about outbreak modelling. To paraphrase his reasoning for the fact that they can test 25k and have controlled infection rates and we haven’t:

1: They are massively ahead of us in terms of modelling these outbreaks and preparing contingency plans. Our models were likened to financial modelling pre 2008 crash.
2: They had a plan and were prepared.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
The chap on the R4 this morning who had predicted this and the 2008 crash (Nassim Nicholas Taleb) was talking about a lecture he gave in Singapore in 2013 at an academic conference about outbreak modelling. To paraphrase his reasoning for the fact that they can test 25k and have controlled infection rates and we haven’t:

1: They are massively ahead of us in terms of modelling these outbreaks and preparing contingency plans. Our models were likened to financial modelling pre 2008 crash.
2: They had a plan and were prepared.

I suppose if they let all those shit infested bacterial rampant markets operate then having some sort of plan is reasonable. Pity they can't figure out a way not to need a plan

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Certainly looks as though we are heading the same way as Italy, surely there has to be more drastic measures and as soon as possible. EB35BCF2-D7C4-4EFF-A93A-DCC7A98F6FD9.jpeg38429F29-2D6D-40AD-B56B-5836A5631E5F.jpeg

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Sorry but where were these billions of pounds for the NHS before the virus?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9283191 said:
Apologies if covered elsewhere but does anyone know what time Boris' daily news conference is on today?
Usually 5pm

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The BBC have stripped down their Market Data page for stock markets, they no longer show the points movement just a percentage of how far down they are on the day.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The BBC have stripped down their Market Data page for stock markets, they no longer show the points movement just a percentage of how far down they are on the day.

Some serious talk going on about whether it would make sense to close the markets for a period apparently..................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here