Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Blazing Apostle

Jul 30, 2011
Food management - now I am just a simple soul and I presume there must have been some very clever people who have run disaster models based on human behavior studies.
So why was it not envisaged that advising the populace to self isolate at the same time as starting to close normal society down, would cause an immediate run on the supermarkets as people naturally want to look after their loved ones in an uncertain future
Therefore why was simple rationing not introduced weeks ago - ie one pack of loo roll each per shopper - which would have greatly reduced any sense of panic as naturally as soon as you start seeing empty shelves it becomes self fulfilling in kicking off more panic.
Looking at the state of the supermarkets already...we going to have real problems soon unless there is a govt led properly managed rationing process immediately....leaving the populace to self manage in the current climate just ain't going to work

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Food management - now I am just a simple soul and I presume there must have been some very clever people who have run disaster models based on human behavior studies.
So why was it not envisaged that advising the populace to self isolate at the same time as starting to close normal society down, would cause an immediate run on the supermarkets as people naturally want to look after their loved ones in an uncertain future
Therefore why was simple rationing not introduced weeks ago - ie one pack of loo roll each per shopper - which would have greatly reduced any sense of panic as naturally as soon as you start seeing empty shelves it becomes self fulfilling in kicking off more panic.
Looking at the state of the supermarkets already...we going to have real problems soon unless there is a govt led properly managed rationing process immediately....leaving the populace to self manage in the current climate just ain't going to work

It's already being addressed. At the moment the supermarkets are managing it. Goods will be restricted, extra click and collect slots opened up and "elderly only" hours added. The message from the supermarket big cheeses is there is no supply issue, only a greedy barsteward issue.

However, I agree, legally enforced rationing would be the next step if the supermarkets' own methods also fail.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51941987

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I believe there is plenty of food in the supply chain, but it has just been wiped out at the shelves.

There should be no no-deal-Brexit-like cutting off of supply.

So plenty of restocking can be done, and those with full garages of pasta and tins won't need anymore for a while, anyway.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Is that why he was cracking jokes to business leaders about ventilators and 'operation last gasp'?

Personally, I think it is perfectly appropriate to scrutinize the PM in such a time. Leaders MUST be challenged (and good ones stand up to this test), especially at times like these.

Edit - surely you can still question Johnson's (and the governments) approach to this even if you're a Tory voter without being labeled as a Labour supporter scoring cheap points?

Here's a bit more context, which emphasises the need for scrutiny:

Provisions per 100.000 people (from today's Times)

Critical care beds: European average 11.5; UK 6.6

Hospital beds: European average 394.44; UK 227.79

Doctors: European average 92.86; UK68.41

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I believe there is plenty of food in the supply chain, but it has just been wiped out at the shelves.

There should be no no-deal-Brexit-like cutting off of supply.

So plenty of restocking can be done, and those with full garages of pasta and tins won't need anymore for a while, anyway.

How much of the food items bulk purchased will go to waste. Quite a bit I would imagine

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I would like to think the situation will gradually resolve it self as people get used to the situation, also it's not like you can keep stocking up on loo roll indefinitely.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Here's a bit more context, which emphasises the need for scrutiny:

Provisions per 100.000 people (from today's Times)

Critical care beds: European average 11.5; UK 6.6

Hospital beds: European average 394.44; UK 227.79

Doctors: European average 92.86; UK68.41

It's definitely an issue but some of this will result from the distribution of the population, etc. E.g. you will need more doctors and beds in France (under normal circumstances) because the population is more spread out. Do we know if these figures include private beds/doctors?

We also have a much greater military capability than most other European countries - do these figures include military medics who can be called upon in times like these?

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Only one £375 ouch then !

I assume it's a 'do you currently have it' test, not a 'have you had it and are now immune' test.

No, although it seems there's a firm in northern Ireland that's supplying an antibody test to countries in Europe and around the world (just not the NHS):

And there is another benefit of the antibody tests, he says: “You can do that in healthy people and see whether two weeks ago, three weeks ago, months ago, they actually had the infection.”

From: https://www.wired.co.uk/article/coronavirus-testing-uk

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Obviously a minor issue at this point given the lives at risk and being lost but surely if this were to go on for say 3 months regardless of any government input they can’t save every business, the state of the high street in Brighton is already horrific let alone after this.

Went for a walk around Preston park earlier, it almost feels like Christmas outside it’s very bizzare

The lack of traffic and people about is one positive :)

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Obviously a minor issue at this point given the lives at risk and being lost but surely if this were to go on for say 3 months regardless of any government input they can’t save every business, the state of the high street in Brighton is already horrific let alone after this.

Went for a walk around Preston park earlier, it almost feels like Christmas outside it’s very bizzare

Why is it a minor issue? The recession that's going to follow the initial crisis will shorten and blight many times more lives than the virus itself.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
No, although it seems there's a firm in northern Ireland that's supplying an antibody test to countries in Europe and around the world (just not the NHS):

And there is another benefit of the antibody tests, he says: “You can do that in healthy people and see whether two weeks ago, three weeks ago, months ago, they actually had the infection.”

From: https://www.wired.co.uk/article/coronavirus-testing-uk

Although, that said, this from the Guardian suggests otherwise:

What tests are being done?

At the moment, the NHS has only a test that can detect the virus in a nasal swab through laboratory analysis, which takes 24 hours at best. That tells us whether somebody’s illness is Covid-19. What the NHS wants is a test that can detect antibodies in the blood of people who have recovered from Covid-19, which would mean they were likely to be immune. No country is currently confirmed to have this test.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
It's definitely an issue but some of this will result from the distribution of the population, etc. E.g. you will need more doctors and beds in France (under normal circumstances) because the population is more spread out. Do we know if these figures include private beds/doctors?

We also have a much greater military capability than most other European countries - do these figures include military medics who can be called upon in times like these?

I'm afraid the data is as presented. Of course there's all sorts of national issues that might complicate things and you've identified 2 possible ones. I'll thrown in another one: do other countries have as many people as we do occupying hospital beds because of problems in their social care systems?
We are also just about the only European country to keep schools and restaurants open. (The Times again.)

I think the data is just for drawing your own conclusions. Mine are to question whether we are entering 'a war' with well equipped and resourced troops, the right strategy and the right leader. I think the answer to the first question is 'no', the second question is 'perhaps' and the third one is a matter of opinion. But he's the one we've got and I hope he rises to the occasion.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mr Trump is apparently making a big announcement at 4pm UK time.

Perhaps the miracle cure has been found!
"I don't have the virus, so there's nothing to worry about"

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
‘Very likely’ diagnosis in my girlfriends small office. That’s us screwed then !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here