Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
One of the problems of reacting to this is actually how slowly it moves. It takes weeks for people to get into real medical trouble once they have the disease.

The 24/7 news world is used to reporting on sudden events or rapidly changing situations. This is not either of them, it's a slow moving event that requires time (about 8 weeks from the Chinese experience) not doing any moving around to solve. There's still a chance that it won't get as bad in the UK as it has in Italy, but there are also reasonable odds that it will, so it makes sense to be prepared for that.

I really don't see the need for politicising the reaction to things. I bet the UK government and the English medical authorities are working in tandem with the Scottish government and their medical authorities without discussing the politics of their respective governments political positions.

Exactly, but sadly, as we both know, the political fanatics will take no notice and do their utmost to discredit politicians, whilst of course feigning sympathy with the victims.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
viruses are entirely normal, they existed before god made us

The last one like this was the Spanish flu, in 1918. That is over 100 years ago, hardly a normal life issue for anyone alive today now is it?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Exactly.
I’ll be going into work whatever occurs , no choice. And I’m quite glad of that too. I don’t like taking time off sick.

Will you be going in if you have the virus but with just mild symptoms?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Will you be going in if you have the virus but with just mild symptoms?

I’ll be following my work guidelines as well as advice for essential workers. Solid plans are in place, I’m not concerned.
Obviously if any of us have the virus we stay away but we won’t be isolating unless tested positive.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
[/B]

Exactly, but sadly, as we both know, the political fanatics will take no notice and do their utmost to discredit politicians, whilst of course feigning sympathy with the victims.

Life and death is the ultimate outcome of politics. Should Boris get us through this relatively unscathed his stock will be high. Should the NHS fair comparatively worse than the rest of Europe questions must be asked and answered of the party that’s been in charge for 10 years.

We elect our politicians to keep us safe. To pretend otherwise is patronising nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The timelines for cases in Spain and Italy are very similar. Spain are currently a week behind. Both countries took one week to go from less than hundred to nearly 1600+. It's amazing how slow the Spanish government has been to act. Schools closing in Madrid an a couple of other areas but nothing elsewhere. The kids in Andalucía have had no information from their schools and, incredibly, schools, even semi-private ones, are still failing to provide soap in the toilets.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So much more than just xeek kissing, population and population density that players a role in trying to figure out how much it will or wont spread and how/why it differs from country to country.

So much things that play a part: do the population of country x mainly use cards or do they handle dirty ATM:s and dirty cash? What are their public transport habits. How many go by bus? Do elderly/sick easily lose their drivers licence? What the interior design of the busses/trams/trains? What materials do they use? And all the cultural stuff, not just greetings - whats the difference in distance between people queing or riding an elevator together in i.e. Italy compared to UK? And you have differences in working spaces, food treatment...

There's hundreds of thousands of factors to take into consideration. Some of these probably tell "this is why Italy levels wont reach the UK" while others probably tell "holy shit the UK is a ticking time bomb".

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
http://news.mit.edu/2020/artificial-intelligence-identifies-new-antibiotic-0220

Whilst antibiotic resistance is a very real problem that should (and is - check out the link) being tackled, there's no reason to stop trying to prevent the deaths that will be occurring in the next few months because of something that might (will?) happen by 2050.

Whataboutery at its finest!

Where did I say nothing should be done about the here and now? Just pointing out there's a far bigger problem on the horizon which is getting much less media attention.

Also, **** off.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
So much more than just xeek kissing, population and population density that players a role in trying to figure out how much it will or wont spread and how/why it differs from country to country.

So much things that play a part: do the population of country x mainly use cards or do they handle dirty ATM:s and dirty cash? What are their public transport habits. How many go by bus? Do elderly/sick easily lose their drivers licence? What the interior design of the busses/trams/trains? What materials do they use? And all the cultural stuff, not just greetings - whats the difference in distance between people queing or riding an elevator together in i.e. Italy compared to UK? And you have differences in working spaces, food treatment...

There's hundreds of thousands of factors to take into consideration. Some of these probably tell "this is why Italy levels wont reach the UK" while others probably tell "holy shit the UK is a ticking time bomb".

what astounds me is the huge emphasis on washing your hands, yet to fully complete the removal of bacteria is efficient and hygienic hand drying. There is not a single word about avoiding using hand dryers, yet many studies prove how they can blow bacteria droplets from your hands into the air 3 metres behind you ..

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
what astounds me is the huge emphasis on washing your hands, yet to fully complete the removal of bacteria is efficient and hygienic hand drying. There is not a single word about avoiding using hand dryers, yet many studies prove how they can blow bacteria droplets from your hands into the air 3 metres behind you ..

I just dry my hands on the clothing of the first person I see when I leave the bogs, shaking any excess droplets into their face as bantz. That should help halt the spread and lighten the mood. Win win.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
The timelines for cases in Spain and Italy are very similar. Spain are currently a week behind. Both countries took one week to go from less than hundred to nearly 1600+. It's amazing how slow the Spanish government has been to act. Schools closing in Madrid an a couple of other areas but nothing elsewhere. The kids in Andalucía have had no information from their schools and, incredibly, schools, even semi-private ones, are still failing to provide soap in the toilets.

So, badly affected countries so far:

China - source with terrible hygiene and disgusting wet markets. I can’t speak for the mainlanders but Taiwan Chinese have very basic public toilets and a spitting problem.

Italy - tactile, family based culture (which, ironically, I’ve always admired) but kids who go to bars and clubs and oldies who go to communion and then all head back to the same house and greet each other with kisses.

Spain - no soap in toilets.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Life and death is the ultimate outcome of politics. Should Boris get us through this relatively unscathed his stock will be high. Should the NHS fair comparatively worse than the rest of Europe questions must be asked and answered of the party that’s been in charge for 10 years.

We elect our politicians to keep us safe. To pretend otherwise is patronising nonsense.

You forget other things such as sick pay and universal credit, the country doesn't have a welfare state fit for purpose now and if it's a chance of self isolate and no money or work and get your wages most will have no choice but to carry on working

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
I just dry my hands on the clothing of the first person I see when I leave the bogs, shaking any excess droplets into their face as bantz. That should help halt the spread and lighten the mood. Win win.

ah yes the old daisy chain bacteria spread.
Geezer in front of you has a dump, half heartedly rinses hands under cold water with no soap, the rather than wait to dry, unhygienically, so wipes his hands on the back of his sweater or trousers.

Feacal matter , pass it round

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
The last one like this was the Spanish flu, in 1918. That is over 100 years ago, hardly a normal life issue for anyone alive today now is it?

covid 19 almost certainly won't kill 50 to 100 milion people like 1918/19, but it is still a normal life issue for anyone alive today

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
But if I read that correctly we are doing much better than France without putting in any measures ourselves?

See this is the thing, we have and are putting in significant early measures?

- the self isolation advice came very early for anyone travelling from places with an outbreak and anyone with any symptoms was told to immediately self isolate
- we started tracing any cases immediately and again self isolating people who had come into contact with those infected.
- the campaign over the importance of hygiene and how to minimise the risk.

Yes they are not as dramatic as closing schools etc but it’s wrong to say we haven’t taken measures.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
covid 19 almost certainly won't kill 50 to 100 milion people like 1918/19, but it is still a normal life issue for anyone alive today

Even if the virus in itself maybe wont kill 50-100 million (far too early to say btw), it could still - with some bad luck and bad decision making - kill the same numbers (or more) indirectly since the world is a lot more connected today and a problem somewhere is also a problem elsewhere.

Just take food supply. I dont know the numbers for rest of Europe but could imagine a lot of countries having a similar: in the 1980s Sweden were 85% self sustaining on food, today about 50% of what we eat is imported. In the 1980s most of the Swedes had savings, now we have debts. Sweden and surely a lot of other Western countries depend on the world functioning reasonably well and this virus is a major threat to the type of stability most people take for granted.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I read somewhere that this was a myth started by paper towel manufacturers.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
See this is the thing, we have and are putting in significant early measures?

- the self isolation advice came very early for anyone travelling from places with an outbreak and anyone with any symptoms was told to immediately self isolate
- we started tracing any cases immediately and again self isolating people who had come into contact with those infected.
- the campaign over the importance of hygiene and how to minimise the risk.

Yes they are not as dramatic as closing schools etc but it’s wrong to say we haven’t taken measures.

Good points. Maybe we’ve taken the correct measures and balanced safety with personal freedom.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here