Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lua Lua

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
That chest down and set-up was sublime actually. Had people coo-ing in B block

It had me and the people around me giggling like little girls! So good to watch.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
....Bloom and Chapman should hop in the helicopter, take Kazenga and fly him over Falmer, and refuse to land till he agrees to sign for us, whatever the cost, Bloom can afford it.

Would be better if they took Houghton and hung him by his feet over The Angel of the North until he agreed to sell - or at least loan him for the rest of the season.

How about the brilliant piece of skill of skill where he set up Murray, after chesting the ball down and flicking it over the defenders head? It wasn't his best game last night but he was superb in the last 20 minutes, he's the most exiting player we've had in years. He's always going to create chances for himself when he drops his shoulder and goes past the defender and he could have had a couple last night.

when he drops his shoulder he falls over:facepalm:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Obviously I'd rather we managed to keep a talent like Lua Lua but I just don't see it being the end of the world if we don't. In fact, if anything we'll probably a few bigger clubs looking to loan out their youngsters. Chelsea have got some quality kids coming through, and if Newcastle do recall Lua Lua, I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two of them down here to work under Gus instead.
Agreed. After all he didn't do anything at Peterborough except warm the bench and the team did alright without him. Obviously I want him to stay but it won't be the end of the world, or even the end of our season, if Poyet can't extend his loan after Janauary.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Agreed. After all he didn't do anything at Peterborough except warm the bench and the team did alright without him. Obviously I want him to stay but it won't be the end of the world, or even the end of our season, if Poyet can't extend his loan after Janauary.

Perhaps that's because Peterborough expected him to play and had a system ready to cope with him. When he appeared on the bench it gave Poyet a massive tactical advantage and also filled Posh with fear not knowing how to cope with him when he did come on.

Just having a player as dangerous as Lua Lua in the match squad makes us more dangerous. Regardless of wether he plays or not. Teams need to think about how they will prepare for him. If they don't prepare or don't prepare enough, there is a very good chance he'll punish them.

Don't underestimate how much of an asset he is to us.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Perhaps that's because Peterborough expected him to play and had a system ready to cope with him. When he appeared on the bench it gave Poyet a massive tactical advantage and also filled Posh with fear not knowing how to cope with him when he did come on.

Just having a player as dangerous as Lua Lua in the match squad makes us more dangerous. Regardless of wether he plays or not. Teams need to think about how they will prepare for him. If they don't prepare or don't prepare enough, there is a very good chance he'll punish them.

Perfectly correct. My reasoning for why we won't miss Lua Lua as much as one might think is the one that Tooting has also highlighted - because Brighton under Gus is the kind of place you want your talented youngsters to learn your trade on loan. If Lua Lua goes, you have to hope that another talented youngster from Chelsea or Arsenal steps into his shoes.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Oh I don't disagree, he's an incredible asset to have and I would never deny that. I just wanted to point out that we're not a one-man team and that we CAN win without lua lua actually being on the pitch. (A lot of the work against Charlton had been done before he came on as well)

Also as has been pointed out perhaps now under Poyet we're seen as a club that can help develop skilful players. It always seemed to me that loan signings from bigger clubs would often start off 'good' and then become 'crap' as our infamous coaching methods took their toll. That's all changed and maybe in future we'll see some Arsenal or Chelsea youngsters who'll be just as good. After all even Chelsea youth rejects (Bridcutt) are good ...

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
so... did anyone see him burst past five players last night, and countless other occasions making exeter shit themselves?

agree that his final balls weren't quite there on tuesday, but has anyone noticed the tactical uses of kaz (aside from the psychological...) ?

curiously, we don't seem to play the ball ahead of him to sprint to, very often. seems strange... FAR more often he comes to the ball for the pass, and then 90% of the time takes it past the two players that have been assigned to him.

seems to me this may be deliberate. have him receive it deeper, draw two+ players (at one point there were FIVE surrounding him (not the time i mentioned previously, this time was in the first half) ... it reminded me of that classic photo of maradona vs six belgium players! ...league one style, heh. anyway, this draws players away from infield, giving the rest of our excellent team space to crush all in their path like some kind of behemoth of pure flair.

i hope opposition managers don't read endless content on fan boards or i may have just spilled secrets of gus' genius... sorry gus.

lua lua is class, i hope we can get him. but for all this, 3-0 away peterborough, 4-0 away charlton. sweet. we have a great team, not just a one man team.

Note: i love that gus uses him sparingly. to me this sends a clear message to newcastle and other potential loan providers - 'i don't burn out young players'. gives us every chance of being the sensible choice for lua lua to continue with us all season, learning his trade without overuse.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If Lua Lua goes, you have to hope that another talented youngster from Chelsea or Arsenal steps into his shoes.

If Lua Lua goes in January, I'd rather Jamie Smith started getting a bit more of a look-in. I think he's been unfortunate to lose his place in the side, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of him this season.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
curiously, we don't seem to play the ball ahead of him to sprint to, very often. seems strange... FAR more often he comes to the ball for the pass, and then 90% of the time takes it past the two players that have been assigned to him.

I think thats just down to our style of play. We're constantly ball-to-feet, with players dropping back short to receive the ball. The days of balls over the top, or launching it down the channels for someone to sprint after (and maybe scrapping for a throw-in) are long gone.

Last edited:

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
I think thats just down to our style of play. We constantly ball-to-feet, with players dropping back short to receive the ball. The days of balls over the top, or launching it down the channels for someone to sprint after (and maybe scrapping for a throw-in) are long gone.

excellent point... though i do like to think of poyet as a machiavelian genius so... i'm going to carry on saying it is all micro managed to perfection.

god i love the way albion are playing these days :albion1:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here