Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lua Lua

Revilop

All aboard the Gus bus!
Jul 13, 2010
Worthing, West Sussex
You can garuntee at some point in a game, he will slip over, have a wild shot, make the right back look stupid and loose the ball on countless occasions! Bit hit and miss for me! However when he is on fire, he's brilliant! Bit poor tonight though!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't really see how you can describe someone as f**king excellent when on so many occasions tonight he couldn't cross (except for a couple), or shoot - two fundamentals of the game. The bloke has talent to burn, but if he does one thing tonight he should go and watch some Gareth Bale videos, and watch where he puts the ball after beating his man all ends up. Put some consistent end product on that boy and he'd be a world-beater.

Good work, boys. I think we are getting the message across ...

"He's not yet the finished article. He needs at least another eighteen months getting the experience that he will need if he is to become a useful Premier League player".

:thumbsup:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
To be fair if the kid could cross every time he'd be too good for Newcastle let alone us!!!

That's been my view on him since we've had him. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and the excitement he brings to our game, but if he could get his final ball sorted, he wouldn't be here, he'd be terrorising Premiership defences.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Took my whole family to the game tonight including my missus who's not clueless when it comes to footy. She's never seen the Albion win (that's how confident I am in Gus and the lads at the moment!) and her verdict was "if that Lua Lua could cross he'd be playing for Real Madrid... He's unpredictably brilliant.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Second half last night he was unstoppable and true entertainment - but the game was already sewn up and his final ball is apalling.

As with so many of the squad, you get the impression that under Gus they will get better - the rest of league 1 must be dreading their return match with us.

Gus is the only one at the moment who is irreplaceable

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
I certainly don't agree that he was our worst player last night. OK he wasn't his best, but he showed some very good speed on a number of occasions getting balls that others wouldn't have, and he's a trier. As Yorkie who was just behind me pointed out at one point, one minute he was attacking, then he was back and defending.
Worst player in my mind was Calderon. Almost everything he touched turned to nothing for the last 30 mins.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Would be quite happy if he was being scouted last night because it was no where near his best game. Some of his crosses were woeful, only really started to get going in about the last 10-15 minutes. Was quite surprised wasn't taken off but suppose as he can't play Sat it didn't hurt

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
He had drive,passion,speed without looking up most of the time and only one foot last night. He can be very greedy at times and will shot for goal when a team mate is in a better position and that sometimes pays off for the lad, but can work against the team, and im sure Gus can see this in him, and time will make him the finished article and thats why he is here to learn, not unfortunatley to stay...... but what do i know. :shrug:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that he is an exciting and unpredicable player to watch. Tonight he came into his own when their man went off leaving them with 10 players, this gave us and him more space to exploit.

If I was Newcastle manager I would want to send him out on loan to a championship club in January or if he was still under contract leave him here for this season and then next season in the Championship before making any decision about selling or keeping him.

At times he would be a bit of a luxury if we were having to dig in and defend a lot but as we are not he looks very good.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
A Newcastle supporting friend of mine says that Houghton has sent Newcastle staff to watch every game he's played for us so far. My friend is of the opinion that Newcastle have no intention of selling him, they recognise him as potentially being significantly better that his brother, and not a player they are going to let go.

:tantrum::tantrum:

Not really what we want to hear. Bloom and Chapman should hop in the helicopter, take Kazenga and fly him over Falmer, and refuse to land till he agrees to sign for us, whatever the cost, Bloom can afford it.
(I recognise there is a small flaw in this idea, but hopefully KLL will see Falmer and the surrounding area for the beauty it is and decide to sign before the fuel runs out)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A Newcastle supporting friend of mine says that Houghton has sent Newcastle staff to watch every game he's played for us so far. My friend is of the opinion that Newcastle have no intention of selling him, they recognise him as potentially being significantly better that his brother, and not a player they are going to let go.

:tantrum::tantrum:

Not really what we want to hear. Bloom and Chapman should hop in the helicopter, take Kazenga and fly him over Falmer, and refuse to land till he agrees to sign for us, whatever the cost, Bloom can afford it.
(I recognise there is a small flaw in this idea, but hopefully KLL will see Falmer and the surrounding area for the beauty it is and decide to sign before the fuel runs out)
Obviously I'd rather we managed to keep a talent like Lua Lua but I just don't see it being the end of the world if we don't. In fact, if anything we'll probably a few bigger clubs looking to loan out their youngsters. Chelsea have got some quality kids coming through, and if Newcastle do recall Lua Lua, I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two of them down here to work under Gus instead.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I thought he was abysmal tonight. I'm taking nothing away from him, he's a phenomenal player in waiting. He's obviously very hit and miss, but that's not a problem because even just one hit a match makes him a vital player. But tonight I thought was the first time in an Albion shirt where literally nothing he did came off. Not that that's a problem, he's more than entitled to an off night when he's so unplayable 90% of the time, but I can't see how anyone claims he was good on this 90 minutes.

You are spot on there, I don't get how anyone can say he was brilliant tonight

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I absolutely guarantee that not just HOW we are doing this season, but the WAY we are trying to play, makes it far more likely Premier League clubs will think it's a good idea to let their best young players come here on loan under Gus's watchful eye.

Watford have gained a reputation for being a 'safe haven' with both Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger, and it has transformed their fortunes. In a lot of ways they should be in League One, but the quality loans over the past couple of years have helped them over-achieve. And I know for a fact that these clubs look at the whole package - how the players are looked after, encouraged to play proper football, learn about life as well as football, anything that will stand them in good stead for the future.

Gus could now make a very impressive pitch along these lines in January, if we needed reinforcements for the final push.

Oh, and incidentally I thought KLL's display the other night showed two things very clearly - why he is at a Premier League club in the first place, and also why he isn't in their team.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
i dont think he managed one quality cross against a poor exeter side

How about the brilliant piece of skill of skill where he set up Murray, after chesting the ball down and flicking it over the defenders head? It wasn't his best game last night but he was superb in the last 20 minutes, he's the most exiting player we've had in years. He's always going to create chances for himself when he drops his shoulder and goes past the defender and he could have had a couple last night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here