Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lua Lua - Broken Ankle

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Very very sad news if that is right. But surely a broken ankle would take 3-4 months at least, not 10 weeks. Unless it's a chipped bone - so not a broken ankle really.

Such a shame - love watching this boy and he will be missed. As much for the psychological effect on the oppo as his impact on the pitch.
Depends on which bone is fractured.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Sorry but Bennett is not like Lua Lua in any way. KLL terrifies opposing players with blistering pace and complete unpredictability. I think Bennett is a great player but he couldn't beat an egg 1-on-1. If Gus teaches him to take one touch and then whip the ball in (like Valencia does for Rooney) then he might go some way close to matching KLL's impact. Big Loss indeed if he is banjo'd.

Bennett is very very quick. Its been said he is the quickest at the club over a hundred but Lua Lua does do it over 5-10m.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Absolutely shit news,he is the one player who can unlock a team that comes and sits behind the ball.f***ing northern cloggers.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
A sad loss indeed. He's not going to be easy to replace. I am no expert, but someone else of such sudden blistering pace will not be plentiful in number. That doesn't reek of disaster though. If we get back to winning ways, playing neatly from the back and dumbfounding oppositions with slyness and smoothness, we have enough in us to go on another run. Keep the confidence. And have faith in Gus getting what he can in January if needed.

Seagulls4life

Jul 30, 2010
Brighton
Not gunna believe this until its official but if you're right then its a huge blow to himself and the club, but now we need to adapt to playing without him and move on. But if its not true then i'm sure he'll be back soon

Yoda

English & European
I was thinking the same thing. He would have been taken for an xray immediately and then taken to Newcastle rather than travel back with our team. If the injury was so bad, then I think we would have heard something officially by now? I wonder if the club have contacted Newcastle and waited until the swelling has gone down, to do a scan rather than an xray? That doesn't preclude a break but surely a break would have been detected sooner rather than later. Or am I clutching at straws?

Thinking the same sort of thing as well. If it was a suspected fracture, he would have rushed to A&E for an x-ray by ambulance. The fact people have said they SAW him leave on cruches would seem to imply different.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Sh1t news, but I think Baz is a player who can step up to the mark - this could give him the opportunity for an extended run in the side. The little I've seen of him, he looks good, and even his brief cameo yesterday included some great foot-work. Bridcutt's sending off will also give Sparrow the chance to get back into the side - and he is a very useful player.

Very sporting of Hartlepool yesterday when Lua Lua went down injured not to put the ball out of play but continue down the field and score their 3rd goal :angry:

Very bad news if the injury is confirmed by the club.

On your point about the Hartlepool players not stopping when Lua Lua went down, I don't blame them for doing so. It has happened to us numerous times this season when opposition players have gone down 'injured' and then made a miraculous recovery! How were the Hartlepool players to know it was a genuine injury?
Until the laws of the game are amended to make any player having treatment not be able to return to the field of play for five minutes from when the game was stopped, this charade will continue.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Sad, but not the end of our season, we will miss him at home until he is replaced though.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
That's a top 2 finish f***ed. Strikers pick themselves,full backs pick themselves and now midfield.I knew all along you can't go through a season with no depth.
We have nothing on the bench to change games either.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
That's a top 2 finish f***ed. Strikers pick themselves,full backs pick themselves and now midfield.I knew all along you can't go through a season with no depth.
We have nothing on the bench to change games either.

FFS the negativity here is unbelievable!! We are 6 points clear of 2nd and 8 points clear of 3rd. Knowing Poyet and his contacts I wouldn't be surprised to see a young prem winger in soon IF the rumours about Lua Lua are true. Also Baz may surprise us all if he gets an extended run.

Keep the faith.
:albion1:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Very bad news if the injury is confirmed by the club.

On your point about the Hartlepool players not stopping when Lua Lua went down, I don't blame them for doing so. It has happened to us numerous times this season when opposition players have gone down 'injured' and then made a miraculous recovery! How were the Hartlepool players to know it was a genuine injury?
Until the laws of the game are amended to make any player having treatment not be able to return to the field of play for five minutes from when the game was stopped, this charade will continue.

2 weeks ago a Peterborough player went down injured in the 2nd half and the ball was kicked out of play. When play resumed instead of playing the ball back to us from the throw in they kept possession , another amendment is needed for this too because at the moment its only an sportsmanlike understanding and not mandatory.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We have won plenty of games without him so we will win plenty more

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Don't blame Hartlepool, blame the ref. I haven't seen the incident but if the SCR commentators are to be believed the challenge on Lua Lua which lead to his injury was clearly a foul - right in front of the ref too. But he waved play on and Hartlepool scored their third. Not quite sure how a challenge that breaks someone's ankle is deemed to be OK.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
We have won plenty of games without him so we will win plenty more

Exactly , my only concern is that now other clubs know that they can beat us by kicking lumps out of us on the pitch.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Box of Frogs

Completely agree with your comments about the type of bone fracture (a point I made in my previous post)

Hopefully Gus can call in the odd favour or two from his contacts. Whilst I again agree with the Elliott Bennett comments it only takes an injury or suspension to him therefore denying us of his services which I believe could leave us a little exposed.

Having played at County 1 level I remember a team-mate playing through extreme pain to find out a couple of days later that he had a chipped bone in his ankle. He thought at the time it was a severe sprain before the diagnosis but was back playing within 6 weeks. Could possibly suggest that if KLL was walking on crutches it may not be as bad as we fear.

Lets take the positives from this though, we were never going to win every game ala Charlton/Peterborough, though its a minor set-back, look where we are, where have come from......things could be much much worse

I believe in Gus, lets refuel the bus and move on from here.
:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here