Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lowest point in English goalkeeping

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
WHY?
/QUOTE]

Why is it a contradiction? Because in one paragraph you say that Fielding is a "fantastic young English goalkeeper" with "genuine talent" and a few paragraphs later say Man U would like to buy English but couldn't there wasn't "any talent around". He's either a talented young keeper or he's not.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Put simply, he is not. He is no better than Joe Lewis (no world beater) or even Alex Smithies. He is an average young goalkeeper who was sold by Blackburn because he won't ever be as good as Paul Robinson. The fact is, the best young England goalkeeper is playing in the Championship for a very ordinary Derby team. Maybe I am being harsh or misjudging his ability, but I don't think so.

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
WHY?
/QUOTE]

Why is it a contradiction? Because in one paragraph you say that Fielding is a "fantastic young English goalkeeper" with "genuine talent" and a few paragraphs later say Man U would like to buy English but couldn't there wasn't "any talent around". He's either a talented young keeper or he's not.

Yes I said he is considered one of the best English Goalkeeping talents around, which he is. The point I was making was that he will be a far better goalkeeper than Green hence why it is a sensible choice to put him in the England squad. He has plenty of international experience and has played for his country at big tournaments

Not once did i say there was a wealth of English goalkeeping talent because in that position we are thread bare. But do i think this is down to the influx in foreigners. No i dont.

And re: about the united thing, yes he's talented but talented and United spending 20m of a future no.1 telented are completely different things. Theres not many keepers of the age and quality of De Gea around and certainly not anyone English.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes I said he is considered one of the best English Goalkeeping talents around, which he is. The point I was making was that he will be a far better goalkeeper than Green hence why it is a sensible choice to put him in the England squad. He has plenty of international experience and has played for his country at big tournaments

Not once did i say there was a wealth of English goalkeeping talent because in that position we are thread bare. But do i think this is down to the influx in foreigners. No i dont.

And re: about the united thing, yes he's talented but talented and United spending 20m of a future no.1 telented are completely different things. Theres not many keepers of the age and quality of De Gea around and certainly not anyone English.

So what you're saying is that he is some talent to get into the England team but not enough to go to a big club. Would average be a fair description?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
No one has ever truly replaced Frank Swift as England goalie.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It's the whole 'English players playing for top clubs' thing again though, isn't it? The reason why the English national team isn't very good at football isn't because we 'lack passion', 'fail to turn up at big tournaments', 'are a bunch of over-paid prima donnas' or 'because Lampard and Gerrard can't play in the same team' - it's simply because the best English players aren't as good at football as the best Brazilian/German/Italian/Dutch/Argentine/Spanish/French/Portugese. This includes our goalkeepers.

Our ambitions are unrealistic and - as fans - our expectations do not marry with the quality of players we have at our disposal. Not one member of the current England team would get in the Spanish first eleven, for example. They have a choice of Casillas/Valdes/Reina. Joe Hart would not even make the Spanish squad, much as I rate him at 'our level'.

As England fans we should be content with our station, competing with the likes of Denmark/Greece/Czech Republic/Croatia - and not even worry about what the big guns are doing.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
This Fielding chap has played 17 games at Championship level and has been selected for England? No wonder people are concerned. Do what I do, do not bother with supporting England. Mind you, Scott Loach seems to have been overlooked on this occasion

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
So what you're saying is that he is some talent to get into the England team but not enough to go to a big club. Would average be a fair description?

I think average would be a fair shout from what ive seen, with the potential to be a pretty decent Prem keeper in a few years. Im just saying that to put him ahead of Green is certainly the most sensible thing to do as i think Green is shyte.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This Fielding chap has played 17 games at Championship level and has been selected for England? No wonder people are concerned. Do what I do, do not bother with supporting England. Mind you, Scott Loach seems to have been overlooked on this occasion

Who the f**k is Scott Loach?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It's the whole 'English players playing for top clubs' thing again though, isn't it? The reason why the English national team isn't very good at football isn't because we 'lack passion', 'fail to turn up at big tournaments', 'are a bunch of over-paid prima donnas' or 'because Lampard and Gerrard can't play in the same team' - it's simply because the best English players aren't as good at football as the best Brazilian/German/Italian/Dutch/Argentine/Spanish/French/Portugese. This includes our goalkeepers.

Our ambitions are unrealistic and - as fans - our expectations do not marry with the quality of players we have at our disposal. Not one member of the current England team would get in the Spanish first eleven, for example. They have a choice of Casillas/Valdes/Reina. Joe Hart would not even make the Spanish squad, much as I rate him at 'our level'.

As England fans we should be content with our station, competing with the likes of Denmark/Greece/Czech Republic/Croatia - and not even worry about what the big guns are doing.

There's an element of truth in that, but I don't totally agree.

There are some fine English individuals coming through, but they, and the failed generation before them, have been brought up on 'English' football, which is an inferior, superseded form of the game. As has been proved, it doesn't matter how good your players are, if the system you are playing doesn't suit your style OR it's being counter-acted by a better system, you're not going to get anywhere.

Small example, look at what Gus is doing, with (in the early days certainly) many players he inherited and had only played an 'English' way. They changed their style and outlook completely - and look at where we are now.

For me, it's more a coaching issue than a skill issue, though the latter is, of course, important.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I'd rather have Ken Loach.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Is it a purely British thing that we used to produce the best goalkeepers in the world or do people from other countries think the same about us?

When it mattered, our top English goalkeepers have often made key mistakes, even during the so-called golden years e.g. Bonetti against West Germany in 1970, against Poland in 1974 when shilton let an easy save under his body, against Argentina in 1986 when Shilton let midget Maradona outjump him, and Shilton's failure to walk backwards during the freekick against West Germany in 1990.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
But where would this Noel Fielding chap rank?

:lol: Yes, our Noel.

As someone who watches a lot of Spanish football, if we said that of the 20 La Liga sides, they have 15 Spanish 'keepers, he'd be 16th in line. That is of course discounting some quality youngsters from the Spanish second tier - I imagine Barcelona B and Castilla have some very promising players who are essentially unproven - like Fielding.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Watford keeper, was called up for a squad last year. But do you know who David Stockdale is??

Just Googled him. Ipswich 'keeper who has already conceded about a hundred goals this season. Please do not tell me he has also been called up?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here