Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lowest point in English goalkeeping

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Glad someone else has admitted that he hadn't heard of Fielding.

I know that I'm not really up on all the players in the league these days but I've always heard of the players in the England squad. Until now, that is.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Frankie Fielding is highly rated, done well at youth levels, Derbys first choice keeper after buying him in the summer (successful period on loan last part of last season), Blackburn Youth Academy product. Only 23, so rather start bringing them through, like Hart, than keep using Green/Foster

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Its a massive worry. If we lost Joe Hart to who would we turn?
When i was growing up we had Shilton, Woods, Seaman, Flowers, Martyn. All class goalkeepers who would walk into most Premier League teams, Well maybe not the Palace bastard Martyn.
Spain have a wealth of goalkeeping talent to the point Barcelona's Victor Valdes has no more than a handfull of caps & Germany has six/seven international quality g/ks.
Is it another problem we can blame on the failings at grassroots level or the Premier League?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We'll get to know Fielding a bit this season, but I knew who he was. I think people are overlooking the fact that both Robinson and Foster would have been in the squad, but for being so far behind Hart it wasn't worth their time. We have a top class #1, the rest are squad fillers. If Hart gets inured, Don Fabio will have a little word with Robinson or Foster (preferrably Robinson) and he will return.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
:
Frankie Fielding is highly rated, done well at youth levels, Derbys first choice keeper after buying him in the summer (successful period on loan last part of last season), Blackburn Youth Academy product. Only 23, so rather start bringing them through, like Hart, than keep using Green/Foster

:facepalm:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We'll get to know Fielding a bit this season, but I knew who he was. I think people are overlooking the fact that both Robinson and Foster would have been in the squad, but for being so far behind Hart it wasn't worth their time. We have a top class #1, the rest are squad fillers. If Hart gets inured, Don Fabio will have a little word with Robinson or Foster (preferrably Robinson) and he will return.

Misses Robinson

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This thread is comical.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
From having an embarrassment of riches to simply being an embarrassment.

We used to be falling over the number of quality centre backs we had too. Nowadays as age catches up with them, and injuries prevent others from ever getting near the squad, we're looking thin there too. Terry is not the player he once was, Lescott isn't half as good as he thinks he is and Smalling and Jones are very young and unproven. Matthew Upson, who we took to the World Cup last year, doesn't even have a club anymore.

I appreciate we need to look to the future, obviously, but there seems to be nothing in between the old shit and the fresh youngsters.

And don't get me started on the front line. Aside from Rooney we are looking distinctly half arsed. When was the last time Defoe scored a goal? And precisely what has Andy Carroll done to deserve a call up, apart from being "worth" £35million?

Total shit. No faith in this England team whatsoever

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The decline started since the retirement of Shilton. He's never been replaced.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
On the plus side, Upson plays for Stoke now. He scored in the Europa League. I agree though, we're not as good as people seem to think. Much as I like Cahill and Jagielka, neither of them are a Sol Campbell type. We're a long way short of Spain, even Germany. Number 4 in the world? Sod off!

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
This tread has the be the biggest load of shit ive ever read on here! Frankie Fielding is considered one of the best young English goalkeeping talents. He played the majority of England U21's game in the Euros.

If you think its a sad day whn Rob Green is replaced by a genuine young talent then you know shit all about football. Rob Green is a very ordinary Premiership goalkeeper who will never be first choice, he has proved he cant handle the pressure of international football (see world cup). Why would u not give someone else the chance who has all the qualities and credentials to become a future no. 1.

All this bollox about foreigners ruining the state of our goalkeepers. Are your serious??? If English goalkeepers had the quality required to play in the prem and hold down number 1 spots in their teams then they would. But alot of them arent good enough, stay with the big clubs until theyre 23/24 all the time going on loan to various lower league clubs and then theyre sold to the Championship or lower. Hence why the majority of Prem teams have foreigners in between the sticks. FFS one of our brightest talents in recent years Ben Foster decided to retire to prolong his club career. I mean seriously!!!! Hes a goalkeeper for f*** sake, how much strain is there on his body that the standard 10 or so games each year will ruin him!! JOKE

Furthermore that idiot is now playing in the championship. Is that down to the influx of foreign goalkeepers???

Fact is United went out and spent 20 odd million on a new young goalkeeper. Would they have preferred to buy English, probably, but was there any talent around worth that money or with the potential NO. Is that because too many foreign goalkeepers NO. Foreign goalkeeper have been brought in because they are better than the young English ones who are in the game. Simple as that!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This tread has the be the biggest load of shit ive ever read on here! Frankie Fielding is considered one of the best young English goalkeeping talents. He played the majority of England U21's game in the Euros.

If you think its a sad day whn Rob Green is replaced by a genuine young talent then you know shit all about football.

Fact is United went out and spent 20 odd million on a new young goalkeeper. Would they have preferred to buy English, probably, but was there any talent around worth that money or with the potential NO.

Great contradiction there.

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
Great contradiction there.

WHY?

There is an obvious lack of talented English goalkeepers but is this down to the influx of foreign goalkeepers, No!

And if there are people who think Green should be picked ahead of Frankie Fielding then im sorry but you dont watch football

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here