Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Low season ticket turnout for Wycombe replay

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I think it's WAY over-priced myself. The 18 quid we forked out for the first game must've put a lot of supporters off (judging by the piss-poor turnout) & I'm seriously considering giving the replay a miss tbh. Not impressed. :glare:

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Before we all storm the club offices and ask for Ken Brown's head on a stick - might have missed this already judging by the reaction of some of you on here - you might like to know that for cup replays or cup games in general both teams have to agree a pricing structure. I might hasten to add that Wycombe could well have proved stubborn in this instance thinking that we would get a decent crowd anyway and they want their fair share, which for cup games is still a 50/50 split.

I seem to remember a similar problem a few seasons ago with ironically our potential next opponents in the 2nd round should we win the replay.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Before we all storm the club offices and ask for Ken Brown's head on a stick - might have missed this already judging by the reaction of some of you on here - you might like to know that for cup replays or cup games in general both teams have to agree a pricing structure. I might hasten to add that Wycombe could well have proved stubborn in this instance thinking that we would get a decent crowd anyway and they want their fair share, which for cup games is still a 50/50 split.

I seem to remember a similar problem a few seasons ago with ironically our potential next opponents in the 2nd round should we win the replay.

Reasonable points until you see that family stand are paying £21.50 and Wycombe fans moved to the East Stand are paying £18

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Reasonable points until you see that family stand are paying £21.50 and Wycombe fans moved to the East Stand are paying £18

In my view that is taking the piss out of your customers big time.

If we win the club had better have a bloody good think about the pricing for round 2.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Seeing as you sound so respectful. If a STH had the same attitude, which a lot of them do, having paid hundreds of pounds for their season ticket, now being asked to pay OVER the average price of their tickets to watch a round one replay against Wycombe on a weekday, would you call them 'tight fisted fucks'?

:bla:

Iam a st holder & have bought a wycombe ticket

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

if this is the case the club should tell us

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
if this is the case the club should tell us

Maybe they should, maybe they shouldn't - if you don't want to go because its too expensive, then fine don't and by all means vent your spleen on here.

I for one think that the days of overt transparency betwixt club and fans are coming to an end. The special relationship we once shared due to the common plight has been slowly receeding for some time.

Once safely ensconced in Falmer we will surely have to make to do with reverting to a more traditional relationship of becoming whinging patrons like at any other club.

The club have burned their bridges with me financially with the continued over pricing at Withers, the introduction of away scheme paid membership and to some extent the loss of that special relationship of honest and open dialogue.

Of course I'm still an avid fan psycologically but as far as my wallet is concerned it will stay shut vice like until we as "ordinary" fans are hopefully treated with a fairer yard stick once at Falmer.

The club has some way to go to repair that connection in my eyes, with only time to tell.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
On an estimated gate of 4,000 if there was 2000 paying £22.50 = 45,000
2000 paying £12.50 = 25,000
total 70,000

At a reduced rate rate to make the same money 3500 paying £15 = 52500
3500 paying £5 = 17500

So if we reduced the prices as suggested would we garuantee getting 7,000 attend I doubt it but I am sure that we will have more than 4,000 hence the need to charge the higher prices.

These are only rough figures compiled to justify the price being charged but they do give a fair example of why we should charge the higher price.

Last edited:

I'm going and I don't care how much I pay,We will witness a feast of Latin American flair,You will be able to hear the Samba beat as You walk along London road toward the ground,A true Fiesta of brilliance.
Much better than the crap Rissole Salad was dishing up.
KNIGHT OUT.

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
I (along with 3 other sth) won't be buying a ticket for the Wycombe match

The main reasons are - as sth we used to get a cup match ticket free and now don't , the tickets are overpriced anyway but very overpriced on what sth are being asked to pay and also not everyone can afford to say oh its only £22.00 - £22.00 at the moment may not be very much money to some but it is to others

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Er....Debs... You do realise that it is Bloom (probably) setting the prices. You know, the man that has been bailing out Dick (LIAR!).

Only kidding.

In all seriousness, the club do not have the carte blanche to set prices. They have been very good in the past with cheap tickets for most cup games. I would imagine that Wycombe have been eyeing up the fact that we may have a new manager in that space of time and they would be unwilling to set a decent price.

Besides that, welcome to the world of the fan that buys tickets to most/all games, but does not have a season ticket.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
fooking brilliant a game a footy at withers without all the moaning fuckers in attendence ,should be ace, well done to the club for a stroke of genius forward thinking. the matchday thread should be a hoot

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
On an estimated gate of 4,000 if there was 2000 paying £22.50 = 45,000
2000 paying £12.50 = 25,000
total 70,000

At a reduced rate rate to make the same money 3500 paying £15 = 52500
3500 paying £5 = 17500

So if we reduced the prices as suggested would we garuantee getting 7,000 attend I doubt it but I am sure that we will have more than 4,000 hence the need to charge the higher prices.

These are only rough figures compiled to justify the price being charged but they do give a fair example of why we should charge the higher price.
Someone ALWAYS comes up with a calculation like that to 'prove' that cutting the price doesn't actually benefit the club and it is ALWAYS total bollocks - it is a classic proof of the "Lies, damned lies and statistics" saying. Yes, ok, the total gate receipts for that individual match may not increase, indeed they might even go down, but so what? There is a bigger picture at stake and other factors have to be considered.

Firstly the Goodwill. Read the posts on here from disgruntled STHs never mind the part-time fans; not reducing the price has damaged customer relations and has taken some of the gloss of the Poyet appointment.

Secondly outreach. New fans will be tempted to attend and lapsed fans will be tempted back. If it's a good game they might return for the next home match - and pay full price.

Thirdly anciliary sales. Reduced prices could well mean increased programme sales, plus some of the new or lapsed fans planning a return could well pop into the club shop and buy a new scarf or whatever.

Fourthly atmosphere. A full(ish) Withdean is a MUCH more enjoyable place to be for everybody and can add to the 'outreach' potential of making the experience more enjoyable for new or lapsed fans. I can't believe anybody could look around a less-than-half-full Withdean and think "Well there's only three thousand here and it's a morgue as usual, but at least they've all paid full price so I'm happy."

So to sum up, doing a rough calcluation does NOT show the total potential revenue gained or lost. And if the shortfall worries you think of it as 'advertising'.

EDIT: I do understand that in this particular instance the prices have to agree with Wycombe, but the principle still applies.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'll be going, because fortunately I can afford to. But I fully expect a lot of season ticket holders won't.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
fooking brilliant a game a footy at withers without all the moaning fuckers in attendence ,should be ace, well done to the club for a stroke of genius forward thinking. the matchday thread should be a hoot

It's always the same old people moaning about ticket prices/travel voucher, if you dont like it dont go. If you would go but you cant really afford to it's a different story, we've all been in that position at one time or another.

It's always the same old people moaning about ticket prices/travel voucher, if you dont like it dont go. If you would go but you cant really afford to it's a different story, we've all been in that position at one time or another.

Er no actually. I am not in the habit of complaining about prices but in this instance I will make an exception.

They have overcharged and have IMHO made a big PR error.

If (and I don't think so) it was the visitors who affected the prices then say so. If it was the lure of the to be announced Manager then I think it could back fire.

The fact there has been so little feedback from the club to so many complaints tells a story.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
It's not actually any of your business how the club arrived at the price or wether the opposition influenced that decision. Just because the club USED to explain every little decision to appeas the moaners it doesn't mean they have to or should do.Lots of clubs dont reduce admission. In short either pay up or shut up , you and your ilk are boring me & have been since the west ham game.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
It's not actually any of your business how the club arrived at the price or wether the opposition influenced that decision. Just because the club USED to explain every little decision to appeas the moaners it doesn't mean they have to or should do.Lots of clubs dont reduce admission. In short either pay up or shut up , you and your ilk are boring me & have been since the west ham game.

Pretty much spot on. The club are under no obligation to explain their pricing policy - all some of us on here have tried to do is suggest potential reasons behind the prices.

Put up or shut up. SIMPLES.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here