Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Looking for job

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
i want to do bar work or retail or any manual work and i am good with computers and £ 6 to 7 pound per hour here are some more of my skills

• Able to resolve difficult situations in a calm, methodical way, explain technical issues clearly and interact with different types of customers effectively.
• Recognize the importance of Heath and Safety in the workplace, following rules and regulations at work, following practical instructions.

i have my level one in football coaching and my NVQ in Sport, Recreation and Allied Occupations and GCSE (short course) information technology

Firstly, good luck - I know it's shit out there at the moment. I assuming, given your writing style on your other posts, that these two bullet points have been copied from either your CV or a job description. If it's from your CV then you need to get someone to look over it for typos - you should spell words the English way. Make sure your CV is in your words - don't cobble it together by cut and pasting job descriptions and other documents. Then it will flow better and be easier to read and give you a better chance of finding a job.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
• Able to resolve difficult situations in a calm, methodical way, explain technical issues clearly and interact with different types of customers effectively.
• Recognize the importance of Heath and Safety in the workplace, following rules and regulations at work, following practical instructions.

Firstly, I wish you all the best in your job hunt. Being out of work is not a good place to be, so I hope you find something.

That said, I work in retail management and so I see a lot of CVs and applications as part of my job. I would therefore be pretty certain (given a basic comparison between what I've quoted and your normal posts on here) that you've just cut and pasted that from somewhere else and so I'd have no way of knowing whether it actually applies to you or if it's just something you've put there to fill a gap. Whether that is the case or not, vague statements like that tell a prospective employer nothing about you as a person, they're just empty jargon that anyone could find a reason to stick on an application. You need to make your CV less generic and more personal if you want to stand out, given that every job is likely, in the current climate, to have a hell of a lot of applicants.

Also, as others have said, if you're looking for retail or bar work then you need to tailor your CV in that direction. Do you have any experience in, or relevant to, those sectors? For example, if you worked at a leisure centre then that presumably involved customer service in a face to face and possibly a telephone capacity, yet you've not mentioned that at all here? Talk about what you want and you're more likely to get it. :)

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
i went to a special needs school so I feel I am not like most of you on here and i also have Adhd but i am not as bad as i was when i was younger

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
i feel i am rubbish

Far from it - you clearly want to work. I'd suggest going to a Job Centre Plus - they have free courses on CV creation and job interview techniques. Failing that do a walk around of the agencies in central Brighton and get yourself known to them. Many will help you with your CV.

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
Firstly, I wish you all the best in your job hunt. Being out of work is not a good place to be, so I hope you find something.

That said, I work in retail management and so I see a lot of CVs and applications as part of my job. I would therefore be pretty certain (given a basic comparison between what I've quoted and your normal posts on here) that you've just cut and pasted that from somewhere else and so I'd have no way of knowing whether it actually applies to you or if it's just something you've put there to fill a gap. Whether that is the case or not, vague statements like that tell a prospective employer nothing about you as a person, they're just empty jargon that anyone could find a reason to stick on an application. You need to make your CV less generic and more personal if you want to stand out, given that every job is likely, in the current climate, to have a hell of a lot of applicants.

Also, as others have said, if you're looking for retail or bar work then you need to tailor your CV in that direction. Do you have any experience in, or relevant to, those sectors? For example, if you worked at a leisure centre then that presumably involved customer service in a face to face and possibly a telephone capacity, yet you've not mentioned that at all here? Talk about what you want and you're more likely to get it. :)

Maybe he could send it over for you to have a look at?

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh

Maybe he could send it over for you to have a look at?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
i feel i am rubbish
You're not, mate. Being successful in life is all about playing to your strengths and we all have strengths, including you.

You're not, you just need some help letting people know what you're good at and what you've got to offer. I'm sure there are some 'how to present yourself' skills courses around. Can anyone on here point you in the right direction?
:thumbsup:

When people offer good advice, you should be prepared to consider it. If someone on here does PM you with assistance, grab it with both hands. People who help themselves in this way command a lot of respect, irrespective of their actual abilities.

You're not, you just need some help letting people know what you're good at and what you've got to offer. I'm sure there are some 'how to present yourself' skills courses around. Can anyone on here point you in the right direction?

This

Far from it - you clearly want to work. I'd suggest going to a Job Centre Plus - they have free courses on CV creation and job interview techniques. Failing that do a walk around of the agencies in central Brighton and get yourself known to them. Many will help you with your CV.

This

You're not, mate. Being successful in life is all about playing to your strengths and we all have strengths, including you.

:thumbsup:

When people offer good advice, you should be prepared to consider it. If someone on here does PM you with assistance, grab it with both hands. People who help themselves in this way command a lot of respect, irrespective of their actual abilities.

And This.

I am rubbish at manual stuff, practical things like DIY and anything to do with figures.

I do not work in any of the above fields because I know where my strengths are, it took a while to work out but I have a good job and been in the same one for 20 years.

Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Lush

Mods' Pet
i was just wondering if anyone on here could have a look at my CV and change it for me

I'm sure they would, but I really would recommend that you pop into the place at the clock tower, or somewhere like that too. They will be kind, helpful and have good advice. It will also be good practice at talking to people about who you are and what experience you have.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
I know a couple of teachers up at Heronsdale mate and they would be impressed to see you showing a bit of initiative by coming on here and making the effort. Good luck!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here