Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

London Olympics and Parlympics

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Its big thing in London but is anyone else enthused .......................

Personally, I couldn't care less

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I live in Manchester and am really looking forward to it being here. Not managed to get tickets for anything but still plan to go and watch some cycling and triathlon on the public roads.

Billy Whizzkid

Aug 24, 2011
I guess it boils down to how passionate you are about sport in general. Football will always be top of my list but I do enjoy the shared unity that comes with any great sporting event, be it the rugby world cup (not a fan of rugby at all in general though), the Ashes, etc.

The banter in the office and down the pub when these events are on makes such a refreshing change from the usual day to day routine.

The Olympic Games are a HUGE event and personally I consider myself fortunate that they are on in my country during my lifetime. Bring it ON!!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its of interest in so much as im still pissed off that i paid council tax towards it with nothing in return. local residents got no advantage in the tickets, neither did families of the competitors, so whats the f***ing point of it for promoting sport in this country? added to this the massive disruption to London transport, which has lead to ludicrous calls for normal commuters to avoid the tube as they expect it to be overcrowded. building projects will be shuting down as they cant get access or transport materials in and out, so what happens to thousands of construction workers? parts of the city will be shut off by the sacred olympic lanes, dedicated to allowing the pampered officials to go from their west end hotels to the stadium (cant have them staying in Stratford, can we..).

other than that, i dont give a shit.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I'm looking forward to it, bagged myself tickets to see a morning non-medal athletics session at the Olympic Stadium. I'll never have the chance (probably) too see the Olympics again, so I wanted to make the most of it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Can't wait. But then I got tickets. If I hadn't got tickets, I'd probably try not to give a shit but in reality I would be very interested in the sport yet seething at the fact that it hadn't been very inclusive and quite bitter at the way LOCOG will no doubt try to hard sell a load of paralympic tix that I couldn't be less interested in.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
I work on an event experience involving Olympians across the whole of the UK, in my experience there is eff all interest except for the centre of London.

Shame really, these athletes are representing UK and NI, and would appreciate the support from their locals.

Same in Bristol, same in Brighton!

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
Tried to get tickets to the archery in the Olympics was not successful. But have applied for para archery

Amexican

May 21, 2011
Tried hard to get tickets ...got nothing.... so thought I would go to some non-ticket events,but now hear that the road cycling is going to be very restricted due to environmental impact and sailing will be fenced off...so losing interest fast. Now it looks like the Paralympics or nothing!

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
i cant think of any event that is enthralling to watch?

throwing things? running round a track? 500 different rowing events? 2000 swimming events? fencing? Judo?

pah, all about money and advertising, nothing really there for the real sportsfan.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
Id say watching a blind man hit a gold ring completely unaided is pretty impressive to watch.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
If they couldn't be bothered to think up a ticketing system that didn't involve applying for £20,000 worth of tickets to see a handball semi final, I can't be bothered with it anymore.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Not bothered, but will be good to at least experience England hosting the Olympics in my lifetime.
Shame I'll never get to see England host a World Cup though, with the ones after 2022 inevitably going to China, India, Russia then China again.

Living in London I have had to have the bloody olympics rammed down my throat at every opportunity by the media and my local council (Greenwich). This, alligned with the fact that I have had to pay extra on my council tax for the past 5 years to help pay for it, and the ridiculous travel restrictions that are going to be placed on ordinary Londoners trying to go about their day, has slowly eroded any enthusiasm I had for the event.

Mrs Potter was keen to go the the equestrian events (nice and local at Greenwich Park) but the whole ticketing farce (allied to the fact that I was not going to be forced to get myself a Visa card to buy tickets when I have a perfectly good Mastercard), has put her on the "anti" side as well.

We plan to get out of London for the duration. For those going, have a great time, but count me out!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
but still plan to go and watch some cycling on the public roads.
Good luck with that.
The only decent place to watch the cycling is from Box Hill and guess what...

You'll need a ticket! :angry:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I have never been interested in the Olympics and will not be paying any attention whatsoever to this one.

There are only two "benefits" for London: crazy high costs and traffic chaos.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here