Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

London Olympics and Parlympics

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
i cant think of any event that is enthralling to watch?

throwing things? running round a track? 500 different rowing events? 2000 swimming events? fencing? Judo?

pah, all about money and advertising, nothing really there for the real sportsfan.

I think that sums it up perfectly. And then a couple of weeks later people doing all the same things in wheelchairs. Wow!

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
NO, the Olympics today are just a huge media love in and a chance for stupid governments to waste billions, on showing off how wealthy (or they think) the country is by handing massive building contracts to their mates (probably with a nice kick back too). It always loses huge sums of money for the host country and any sportsman in a 'professional' sport (as they nearly all are) would be looking at the yearly 'World Championships' in that sport or tournaments like Wimbledon, Tour de France etc to find the real best, I doubt if Nadal or Cavendish (as he has stated regard the olympics as the pinnacle) just a nice trinket for the mantlepiece.
As for the bullshit about encouraging sport, any increase seen has more to do with the day to day professional sports being successful and the public at last catching on that sitting on your arse watching TV is not particularly healthy.
Their is no reason why current venues for all the sports could not just have be updated and maybe spread across the country to where the best venues are rather, than build all these 'white elephants' in London, I can't even see many West ham fans rubbing their hands at the thought of moving to the stadium.
If their is such a huge amount of money available for sport I would rather it went into building sports facilities across the country, rather than making mult-millionaires of people like Coe and his mates.
I love sport but find The Olympics obscene.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
NO, the Olympics today are just a huge media love in and a chance for stupid governments to waste billions, on showing off how wealthy (or they think) the country is by handing massive building contracts to their mates (probably with a nice kick back too). It always loses huge sums of money for the host country and any sportsman in a 'professional' sport (as they nearly all are) would be looking at the yearly 'World Championships' in that sport or tournaments like Wimbledon, Tour de France etc to find the real best, I doubt if Nadal or Cavendish (as he has stated regard the olympics as the pinnacle) just a nice trinket for the mantlepiece.
As for the bullshit about encouraging sport, any increase seen has more to do with the day to day professional sports being successful and the public at last catching on that sitting on your arse watching TV is not particularly healthy.
Their is no reason why current venues for all the sports could not just have be updated and maybe spread across the country to where the best venues are rather, than build all these 'white elephants' in London, I can't even see many West ham fans rubbing their hands at the thought of moving to the stadium.
If their is such a huge amount of money available for sport I would rather it went into building sports facilities across the country, rather than making mult-millionaires of people like Coe and his mates.
I love sport but find The Olympics obscene.

Amen to that. Well said.

Maybe the Olympics should be permanently held in Athens in their "home" country. Athens has the facilities many of which have remained unused since the Olympics there, and the country could sure use a boost to their economy. It would signal the end of the existing circus surrounding the Olympic Games process.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Its big thing in London but is anyone else enthused .......................

Personally, I couldn't care less
Then go away somewhere then,.... polls suggest otherwise when you look for a nationwide view......

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
The Olympic Games are a HUGE event and personally I consider myself fortunate that they are on in my country during my lifetime. Bring it ON!!!
This exactly,..... I cant wait,... and all the infrastructure new and refurbished, has solid business plans in place for after it is all finished..... our sporting culture will support all of it going forward.... look at the Olympic Park area,.... restored and converted from mostly derilict, polluted land, to sporting, leisure and more importantly, residential areas.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
and maybe spread across the country to where the best venues are .
A little research would have helped you here..... firstly the Olympics is and always has been allocated to a City,... BUT, in Londons case, the venues are London, Weymouth, Cardiff, Birmingham, Manchester, Newcastle, Glasgow, Eton Dorney ( Slough), Hadleigh Farm ( Southend), Lee Valley ( Cheshunt)................... is that spread around enough for you?

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I was in Athens during the 2004 Olympics, and the atmosphere around the city was amazing! We attended a basketball match between Greece v USA. The loud boos for the USA was drowned out by the time we saw replays on TV. The several tennis semis and finals were fantastic, starting at 2pm and finishing at 4.30am. The football match between Italy and Argentina sent me to sleep in the heat, as would any match which didn't involve Brighton. We also went to the Paralympics later in the year, and I was amazed to find it far more enthralling and entertaining than the standard Olympics but was saddened at how few people bothered to turn up and watch. Some of their feats would be hard to achieve by able-bodied people. I was also living in Germany during the 1972 Olympics, when there was wall-to-wall coverage on TV. My Dad sold programmes at the 1948 London Olympics and he loved it, even though he hated all sport. In Athens, I knew many ordinary people who volunteered to help direct ticket-holders to where they wanted to go, answer questions, etc, and they all had a great time. Is the 2012 doing much the same? Be a volunteer, if it's not too late. You'll have a wonderful time! The whole point of the Olympics is to support your country in acquiring as many medals as possible. I can't understand the apathy some of you are showing. In past years, it's all been very exciting, even if most of it has been what was shown on TV.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I think that sums it up perfectly. And then a couple of weeks later people doing all the same things in wheelchairs. Wow!

No, they're not all in wheelchairs. Can you imagine seeing a blind person doing a long-jump? Can you imagine a blind person running 1500 metres? Can you imagine a dwarf (what are they called PC these days?) throwing a discus? Absolutely amazing.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Amen to that. Well said.

Maybe the Olympics should be permanently held in Athens in their "home" country. Athens has the facilities many of which have remained unused since the Olympics there, and the country could sure use a boost to their economy. It would signal the end of the existing circus surrounding the Olympic Games process.

Financing the 2004 Olympic Games helped to break the Greek economy. Greece couldn't afford to hold another Olympics. The idea of the Olympics has never been about money or profit. It's about hoped-for peaceful relationships between countries.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
i cant think of any event that is enthralling to watch?

throwing things? running round a track? 500 different rowing events? 2000 swimming events? fencing? Judo?

pah, all about money and advertising, nothing really there for the real sportsfan.

Ridiculous post.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
no benefits in bringing over 3/4billions in tourism though, i mean they have already made back 80% of the cost of paying for it i believe

Last edited:

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
This exactly,..... I cant wait,... and all the infrastructure new and refurbished, has solid business plans in place for after it is all finished..... our sporting culture will support all of it going forward.... look at the Olympic Park area,.... restored and converted from mostly derilict, polluted land, to sporting, leisure and more importantly, residential areas.

I can't wait either, but then I'm a huge sports fan and have already booked the time off work so I can watch as much of it as possible!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Financing the 2004 Olympic Games helped to break the Greek economy. Greece couldn't afford to hold another Olympics. The idea of the Olympics has never been about money or profit. It's about hoped-for peaceful relationships between countries.

But most of the infrastructure is already there now in Athens so costs would would be nowhere near as high as in another location.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
No, they're not all in wheelchairs. Can you imagine seeing a blind person doing a long-jump? Can you imagine a blind person running 1500 metres? Can you imagine a dwarf (what are they called PC these days?) throwing a discus? Absolutely amazing.

Watching a blind person doing the long jump must be marginally more boring than watching a sighted person doing the same thing. Now when I did it in the school sports day it was what track and field sport should be all about. A proper amateur doing his best (with little or no training) to beat other proper amateurs. Great to participate in. Hellishly boring to watch ... unless you're a parent!

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

Really??? I thought it was the several different versions of their accounts which didn't quite match up to what they were telling their bankers that stuffed them............

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
But most of the infrastructure is already there now in Athens so costs would would be nowhere near as high as in another location.

The Olympic village has been turned into housing. Some of the water-sports venues has been turned back into luxury beaches. Much of the rest has been left to rot and would need to be rebuilt. Part of it, on the old airport site, is planned for new housing and a park though I don't know if that will ever be built, the way the Greek finances are.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Watching a blind person doing the long jump must be marginally more boring than watching a sighted person doing the same thing. Now when I did it in the school sports day it was what track and field sport should be all about. A proper amateur doing his best (with little or no training) to beat other proper amateurs. Great to participate in. Hellishly boring to watch ... unless you're a parent!

Actually, you're wrong. I'm not fussed about the long-jump, for example, but watching a blind man do it is inspiring. It acts as a reminder, that however hard your circumstances, something can be made of them.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Originally Posted by HovaGirl View Post

Really??? I thought it was the several different versions of their accounts which didn't quite match up to what they were telling their bankers that stuffed them............

That too. I said the Olympics HELPED to break the economy. I didn't say it caused it.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Actually, you're wrong. I'm not fussed about the long-jump, for example, but watching a blind man do it is inspiring. It acts as a reminder, that however hard your circumstances, something can be made of them.

It may be inspiring, but do I want to watch it? No.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here