Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

London firefighters to strike on bonfire night

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Bet your bottom dollar it won't prevent any firework parties.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
They have a greater bargaining tool as they are far more important than Crow and his brigade. No-one is going to lose their life due to a reduced tube service.

Lets hope they can reach an agreement. I do feel our fire service is somewhat undervalued.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Now, if any of them could kick a ball they'd be appreciated by millions, instead they take the easy option of rescuing people from burning buildings :wink:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
if Rooney can do it...

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I've got an idea, let's just ban all fireworks, the animals will appreciate it at least.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Is this a cunning plan by the Army to convince the Government that THEIR skills are needed as much as ever?

Bring on the Green Goddesses.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The back up plan is Met police cars will be given 2 foam extinguishers each. :laugh:
If Boris goes up in flames (incorrectly holding a sparkler) at a bonfire party will anyone piss on him ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i had a bit of sympathy for them, but not if they'll play that game. striking is one thing, striking when you are at your most busiest its spitefull towards the public rather than your management with whom you have the dispute.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
i had a bit of sympathy for them, but its gone now. striking is one thing, striking when you are at your most busiest its spitfull towards the public rather than your management with whom you have the dispute.
Would we be talking about it now, though?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Would we be talking about it now, though?

you have a point, but it only serves to make their case worse. striking isnt suppose to be a PR exercise. it just shows thats what the unions are really after, publicity rather than resolution.

Feb 14, 2010
Firfighters can work if shifts are thought about, 2 days on and then have 4 days off, and have another job in most cases. If its swng righ as well with working bank holidays, then a fireman can be at work less than a hundred days in a year. Why this is never pointed out on telly is a mystery. But most firefighters know its a good screw and it cnt carry on. I find it a scandal that the public sector are only now deciding that it must look at efficiency savings given that non state funded organisations & private companies do it as a matter of course, every month of every year. The managers of the public sector need to answer that question. I do love labour, we are skint, borrowi ng to live and the answer? Sort out the massive inefficient public sector - no they want to borrow more and tax more. Amazing. BTW as for banking hen yes the mortgage gamble was a scandal bt nobody seems to forget that its the city and banking n particular that pays for th public sector and has done for 30 odd years

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If there is a strike will they still provide emergency cover but not cover other duties such as visiting schools and advising the elderly about fire detectors ?

Feb 14, 2010
If there is a strike will they still provide emergency cover but not cover other duties such as visiting schools and advising the elderly about fire detectors ?

if there is a strike then it wont make too much difference. The fire service have tried to get the unions to sort out their contacts for 5 years and the unions have refused so London has in the mean time done a deal with a private company and will pay them to run the fire service - ex fireman and forces all trained up to do the job. Tube drivers should be next. Electrify the tube so it runs like the dlr without drivers is the solution

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
if there is a strike then it wont make too much difference. The fire service have tried to get the unions to sort out their contacts for 5 years and the unions have refused so London has in the mean time done a deal with a private company and will pay them to run the fire service - ex fireman and forces all trained up to do the job. Tube drivers should be next. Electrify the tube so it runs like the dlr without drivers is the solution

I find having some facts behind my opinions makes them more valid.

This is the FBU's side of the argument
FBU Press Releases

The scabs you are talking abourt have had 2 weeks training, and are bing used to cover firemen with years of experience. If your house was on fire who would you want to respond.

Bear in mind this isnt strike action for better conditions,. This is to defend their existing conditions without being sacked for doing so.

Feb 14, 2010

This is the FBU's side of the argument
FBU Press Releases

The scabs you are talking abourt have had 2 weeks training, and are bing used to cover firemen with years of experience. If your house was on fire who would you want to respond.

Bear in mind this isnt strike action for better conditions,. This is to defend their existing conditions without being sacked for doing so.

These existing conditions allow someone to retire in their 40's hold down other employment, work 2 days on 4 days off and work about 100 days in the 365 days year. Whilst at the same time we have homeless people because the taxpayers purse is being robbed blind by public sector workers defending their cushy number. Time for firemen to get real, the gravy train is over.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

ironic you make a point about facts then present only one side. the conditions being changed are the hours of the shift pattern.

Feb 14, 2010
ironic you make a point about facts then present only one side. the conditions being changed are the hours of the shift pattern.

Exactly. How many people do you know can be paid a full time job and have another job, retire in their 40's and work about 100 days a years. Its a scandal, and yet there are really poor in society who could do with help and the country is skint. More front than southend and no morals do the firemen's union

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here