Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Locadia, prove us wrong

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est retiré.
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I echo many sentiments on here. Locadia - his head isn't in it. The Premier League is an elite league. Just having a bit of talent isn't enough, it's about the mindset and determination to be the best you can possibly be. Locadia is just a passenger.

Connolly - I've always watched him and thought 'okay, he's small so he needs to be quick' - and he's not improved. I then thought 'okay, if he can't be quick, be clever and be strong' - and he's not improved. He just looks like he's reached his peak and it's not Premier League. He could tear Div. 1 a new arse, or could be a squad player in a Championship side - but Premier League? Nope... he's not good enough, and I'm going to stick my neck out on record and say he never will be.

Nothing against him, aside from the fact that when he comes onto the pitch I have more confidence in one of the Sodexo students banging in a goal than him...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Christ, nobody can call Connolly completely shit, ugly, stupid, worthless and a number of other abusive things without being branded a HATER, because he's only 14 or whatever. From where I've been sitting, I've seen zero improvement in the bloke in the 2+ years since he made his debut, in fact he's regressed. Does that mean I HATE him ? Err, no. I just don't want him in a 1st team shirt till he's up to it.

Not much to ask, is it.

Corrected for you in accordance with reality.

And no, it is difficult to do that without one or two people calling you and the mob haters. Criticism is fine, thats not the problem, but it is often way beyond that when it comes to AC.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Lewis Dunk was two years older when Fulham bid for him. Two years before that he was on a bench in the Championship. Just like I very much dont trust peoples abilities to judge Connolly or any other non-established player I seriously doubt that someone like TottonSeagull who made the Bramble-quote would have done some in-depth analysis of Dunks abilities. He, and plenty others according to the archives, judged him based on a couple of bad games and a couple of bad mistakes. Those nuances may have been yours but hardly everyone of the frequent pitchforkers cares about nuances.

The theory that Connolly is being shoe horned into the team because TB and DA wants it is ridiculous and frankly not worth a comment.

Not an unexpected response from you.

You don't trust other posters abilities to judge a player but by contrast your own judgement is " free from doubt "

As for your final paragraph. Yeh best not comment because you weren't on NSC overtures to play him commenced.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I echo many sentiments on here. Locadia - his head isn't in it. The Premier League is an elite league. Just having a bit of talent isn't enough, it's about the mindset and determination to be the best you can possibly be. Locadia is just a passenger.

Connolly - I've always watched him and thought 'okay, he's small so he needs to be quick' - and he's not improved. I then thought 'okay, if he can't be quick, be clever and be strong' - and he's not improved. He just looks like he's reached his peak and it's not Premier League. He could tear Div. 1 a new arse, or could be a squad player in a Championship side - but Premier League? Nope... he's not good enough, and I'm going to stick my neck out on record and say he never will be.

Nothing against him, aside from the fact that when he comes onto the pitch I have more confidence in one of the Sodexo students banging in a goal than him...

You are not speaking boldly, you are echoing a herd. But it is an opinion one can have.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

And no, it is difficult to do that without one or two people calling you and the mob haters. Criticism is fine, thats not the problem, but it is often way beyond that when it comes to AC.

Agreed, it often is.

But, it's also completely understandable.

AC just doesn't seem to be particularly likeable, in my opinion. By that, I mean I struggle to warm to him and I can't think of anyone I know who has much positive to say about him.

Now, his job is not to be liked by me, nor anyone else for that matter. Broadly, my opinion and whether I like Connolly or not, is neither her nor there.

Unfortunately when your performances on the pitch aren't quite cutting it, that whole likeable thing comes back to haunt you. In spades. Not many people are going to cut you some slack if they think you're a bit of an arse.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not an unexpected response from you.

You don't trust other posters abilities to judge a player but by contrast your own judgement is " free from doubt "

As for your final paragraph. Yeh best not comment because you weren't on NSC overtures to play him commenced.

Indeed I dont trust most other posters ability to judge players, teams or pretty much anything football related. No secret.

If you are implying that Graham Potter is forced to keep Connolly in the team because NSC loves him... umm... well, that is a theory...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lewis Dunk was two years older when Fulham bid for him. Two years before that he was on a bench in the Championship. Just like I very much dont trust peoples abilities to judge Connolly or any other non-established player I seriously doubt that someone like TottonSeagull who made the Bramble-quote would have done some in-depth analysis of Dunks abilities. He, and plenty others according to the archives, judged him based on a couple of bad games and a couple of bad mistakes. Those nuances may have been yours but hardly everyone of the frequent pitchforkers cares about nuances.

The theory that Connolly is being shoe horned into the team because TB and DA wants it is ridiculous and frankly not worth a comment.

Dunk featured regularly in our first season at the Amex in 2011 as a 20-year old next to Gordon Greer (he played 36 games), and I think its fair to say the vast majority realised what a talented player we had there at CB. He was prone to the odd costly error, but anyone with a hole in their arse could see he was going to be quality, because he had all the attributes. Unlike your good self, most people here saw Lewis Dunk right from the start over ten years ago, and nobody was writing him off.

Dunk cut his teeth in the Championship, and arrived in the PL ready for combat. Connolly is trying to learn his trade in the PL, but he can't do it. He needs to drop down at least a level. But I still don't see a player in him like I did with Dunk from the outset.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Indeed I dont trust most other posters ability to judge players, teams or pretty much anything football related. No secret.

If you are implying that Graham Potter is forced to keep Connolly in the team because NSC loves him... umm... well, that is a theory...

I am not implying anything about Graham Potter. I just suggest that if there were overtures to play Connolly before he arrived then the same overtures may still be there.

Your arrogance knows no bounds in the way that you reference other posters on here.

So glad you never knew BensGrandad on here. He came out with the wackiest ideas on here but at least the majority of people who rejected his wacky ideas joked about them. Your tone when you disagree with someone's opinion is one of ridicule and dismissiveness. It isn't a very nice trait.

Much of what you say is very clever and well thought through but the way you sometimes speak to and about others is extremely disrespectful.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

OK. So you alter my post to say exactly what I didn't say about him, and call that "correcting". Yes I've often criticised AC based on what I've witnessed of watching him LIVE, (not from some dodgy swedish stream or MOTD) from his routinely lacklustre sub-par performances. Doesn't make me a HATER does it.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Agreed, it often is.

But, it's also completely understandable.

AC just doesn't seem to be particularly likeable, in my opinion. By that, I mean I struggle to warm to him and I can't think of anyone I know who has much positive to say about him.

Now, his job is not to be liked by me, nor anyone else for that matter. Broadly, my opinion and whether I like Connolly or not, is neither her nor there.

Unfortunately when your performances on the pitch aren't quite cutting it, that whole likeable thing comes back to haunt you. In spades. Not many people are going to cut you some slack if they think you're a bit of an arse.

I dont think it is completely understandable.

Its not like I get thrilled every time I see Aaron Connolly playing or if someone posts his Instagram shit or whatever it may be. He is not my favorite player. I dont know him so I refrain from saying bad things about him as a person but I can see how he is not "likeable".

But I still dont think it is "understandable" to pour shit over him.

He is a young man. Flesh, blood, troubles, feelings. I used to be one of those not long a go. A young columnist. If I wrote something that wasnt quite good or that people didnt like, I would get hundreds of comments of how shit I was a writer and how ugly I was or how shit I was a person. For the first few years and occasionally after that, it felt really, really bad, like the whole world hated me. I dont think it is "understandable" to hate people because they are not always performing or because they look weird on a picture or because they think Warcraft 3 is a shit PC game. It is common, but it is not understandable.

I think Connolly is a pretty talented player. Or rather, he is, because you cant score any goals in the Premier League whatsoever - not a single one - without being a decent footballer. Career could go any way. I think the chances of him succeeding is better if people avoid to make him feel like the worst player and worst human on the planet.

His talent is not the main reason why I frankly get pissed at the way he is treated. If I know young people and young footballers in particular right, he will be reading this forum, obviously not daily but when he's been involved. Among all the shit people are pouring, he needs a few voices that defends him from "criticism" that is either exaggerated ("he is a shit footballer") or based on very little but a few tabloid papers and some talk in town ("he is a shit human"). He needs people to defend him, every person who is recieving massive hatred needs that or things can go very bad.

So yeah.. I dont think it is "understandable". Plenty of people in here have kids or grandkids and if they became public people and people treated them like they treat Connolly, they would be angry and devastated. So why contribute to a world where that could quite easily happen? It is not understandable. Aaron Connolly is a young man, someones son, someones grandson. Not some kind of object. That should be very easy to understand but apparently not. Treat Aaron like you would want other people to treat your kiddos.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
OK. So you alter my post to say exactly what I didn't say about him, and call that "correcting". Yes I've often criticised AC based on what I've witnessed of watching him LIVE, (not from some dodgy swedish stream or MOTD) from his routinely lacklustre sub-par performances. Doesn't make me a HATER does it.

Your level of criticism is often fair enough despite me disagreeing with it but the way you formulated the sentence I got the impression that you were defending the dozens who routinely and repeatedly cross the line between criticism and abuse.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Your level of criticism is often fair enough despite me disagreeing with it but the way you formulated the sentence I got the impression that you were defending the dozens who routinely and repeatedly cross the line between criticism and abuse.

I'm not here to defend abuse. But it seems to cut both ways, as the defenders of AC often seem to interpret any criticism of his performances either as abuse, or 'ignorance' of his potential due to his age.

Its neither. He's just not very good. I'm long enough in the tooth to have seen a LOT of BHA strikers down the years who are not very good - and after 2+ years of watching him, he is very much falling into that bracket. I've seen Connolly's come and go more often than I can remember.

I guarantee by the time we get to 2024 when his contract is up, or before, he will be plying his trade with a club outside of the PL. I just hope to christ it isn't us.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Yes, pretty much this. I think he could tear division 1 (or 2) a new one - and that's exactly what we should be making him do! Then get him back and re-assess him, to see if he can then apply his talents to the PL.
At the moment his career is stalled; sitting on the subs bench until he runs down his contract doesn't look like kicking into life again. If he doesn't like the idea, perhaps it should be explained to him that beig paid thousands of pounds a week depends on doing what he's f***ing told to do! As things stand at the moment, when his lucrative contract at The Albion is up, he'll be looking to find a contract at a lower level, at a fraction of what he's on now. I'm still mystified why he hasn't been sent out on loan.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

I trust peoples opinions on here who have followed and watched AC and this club live up and down the country through the divisions more than someone who watches and reads about the club from another country and is only recently here because of a manager. No secret

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I trust peoples opinions on here who have followed and watched AC and this club live up and down the country through the divisions more than someone who watches and reads about the club from another country and is only recently here because of a manager. No secret

We’d have a new manager if that was the case!! :lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This has morphed nicely into a Connolly pros but mostly cons thread

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Maybe when GP or DA one day move a long you could send your CV to Tony, "I got drunk in Workington back in 1963 when they beat the Albion - I know football. Please put me in charge of shaping your team and investing your millions wisely". :shrug:

Football knowledge does not have that much with longevity to do. It is sort of like with movie science, you can watch hundreds of movies, appreciate them or not and learn the names of all the actors, but when you study it is when you'll really start to understand how they are made and what the directors are doing. Mind you, both football and movie science is utterly useless unless you are going to work with it so generally speaking you're better off without it. But it still a thing.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Maybe when GP or DA one day move a long you could send your CV to Tony, "I got drunk in Workington back in 1963 when they beat the Albion - I know football. Please put me in charge of shaping your team and investing your millions wisely". :shrug:

After that nonsense might I suggest you remove "Sensible" from your tag.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yet another thread derailed by someone who couldn’t even find Brighton on a map in 2017
and watches games for free on a bad stream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here