Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lobby your MP - EDM 882

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I have just e mailed my local MP, Mrs Madeline Moon, Labour MP for Bridgend, dont know if she will sign it, the Labour MP before her did, dunno what happened to him though !!!! :lolol: (think he retired actually ???)

I will let you know her reply to me

Wales only like Rugby though !! :p

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
hitony said:

Still no reply from Mark Williams, MP for Ceredigion:(

(I think he's Welsh!)

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
hitony said:
I have just e mailed my local MP, Mrs Madeline Moon, Labour MP for Bridgend, dont know if she will sign it, the Labour MP before her did, dunno what happened to him though !!!! :lolol: (think he retired actually ???)

I will let you know her reply to me

Dear Mr West

Thank you for your five emails. No matter how many emails you send I
can only sign an EDM once. You made me smile at the start of a very
busy day so for that alone I will sign the EDM. My husband described
himself as a Norwich supporter and my caseworker is an avid Sunderland
supporter so Brighton and Hove Albion is not at all strange to me. I
have asked my staff in London to prompt me to sign the EDM when I am
back in the Commons on the 26th February as I am in Germany next week
along with David Lepper the MP for Bridgton, we are there looking at
alternative energy systems being used in Germany. I am sure David will
be pleased that you contacted me.

Thank you for contacting me.

Madeleine Moon MP
Bridgend

Seagull Stew

Sent this morning to Simon Hughes:

Dear Simon

I am writing to you to ask for your support in signing the EDM 882 in favour of the community stadium at Falmer.

Dr Des Turner, the MP for the Brighton Kemptown constituency (which includes the Falmer stadium site), has tabled an Early Day Motion in the House of Commons in support of the Community Stadium.

EDM 882 says:

Community Stadium for Brighton and Hove Albion FC
“That this House regrets that, after more than five years, the planning application for the Brighton and Hove Community Stadium at Falmer is still unresolved; recognises the outstanding community, social and economic benefits and opportunities that the stadium would bring to the city and surrounding region; greatly appreciates the enormous contribution the stadium would make towards the regeneration of the deprived east Brighton area; acknowledges that these benefits amount to national considerations that weigh in favour of the stadium's development; recognises that Falmer is the only site in the city where a sustainable transport plan can be implemented; commends the Falmer stadium proposals to the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government; and calls for the earliest possible decision in favour of the Falmer plans.”

I understand that the opposition is coming from a Liberal Democrat Council but please remember that the Brighton & Hove city Liberal Democratic leader Paul Elgood is in full support of the stadium.

Before the previous enquiry he had written to the Deputy Prime Minister, John Prescott urging him to support the Albion’s dream of a stadium at Falmer.

In a letter to John Prescott, Councillor Paul Elgood, added his voice to many thousands of supporters for the stadium. Paul said:

"I have supported Falmer at each stage of the planning process and have done so again by writing to John Prescott. I strongly believe that a community stadium is in the best interest of the city and this is the only site available to deliver it on.

"There is no other site on the table and there is no other option open. This is the best way to keep the Albion operational and succeeding. John Prescott has the power rule in favour of Falmer, and I hope he turns the Albion’s dream into a reality."

In the letter to John Prescott, Paul writes:

"If the application is granted there will be enormous benefit for the city and surrounding region in terms of jobs, leisure and community facilities, sporting provision and continued support for Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club.

"The application has gone through a robust and exhaustive process. I can say this from the position of leading an opposition political party in the city. The outcome of the democratic planning process should now be honoured by you.

"The council has undertaken a thorough search for alternative sites for such a stadium. This has proved to be negative and the Albion is left with only one choice for survival. Indeed, the significance of the Albion to this part of the region is huge - you have to go to Portsmouth, Crystal Palace or Gillingham to find clubs of similar size and prominence.”

When supporters of the stadium demonstrated against the Liberal Democrat controlled Lewes District Council at the part conference in Brighton on 17th September 2006, the local Lib Dems unfurled a banner saying "Lib Dems 4 Falmer". Cllr Elgood told the Argus newspaper:

"A number of Brighton & Hove Liberal Democrats have been life-long Albion supporters. We respect Norman Baker MP but we believe in Falmer – it’s the only option."

Brighton & Hove Albion cannot stay at their temporary stadium at Withdean forever. They desperately need Falmer stadium and there is no other viable site. At the end of April will be the TENTH anniversary of them leaving the Goldstone Ground. Since then they have had to play home games for two seasons 75 miles away in Gillingham and then at a tiny overly priced rented athletics "stadium" with no roof for the majority of supporters.

The proposed site is not in an area of outstanding natural beauty as some may try to con you into believing, the benefits far outweigh any environmental impact and the majority of people in Brighton & Hove and even Lewes are in favour of it.

I therefore as you as leader of the Liberal Democrats and as my local MP to be both Liberal an Democratic by helping the city of Brighton & Hove to move into the 21st century, prevent the football club from going the same way as the likes of our local club Fisher Athletic, (although Brighton & Hove Albion don't have another suitable ground that they can borrow a few miles up the road) and sign the EDM.

Kind regards

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Emailed the Canterbury MP last week and still no reply :down:

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Have e-mailed my local mp David Taylor re this as well - he signed EDM 889 last time - would be very surprised if he does not sign EDM 882 - his constituency is next to Celia Barlow's - she has already signed EDM 882 and signed EDM 889 last time as well

Ansty Seagull

Oct 5, 2005
Ansty
Nicholas Soames, MP for Mid Sussex, advises me that he cannot support the EDM. He is opposed to any development in an AONB, which Falmer technically is despite observations on the ground. As he is currently opposing a landfill site in Mid Sussex I guess he needs to show consistency! Unfortunately one for the nays!

Ansty Seagull said:
Nicholas Soames, MP for Mid Sussex, advises me that he cannot support the EDM. He is opposed to any development in an AONB, which Falmer technically is despite observations on the ground. As he is currently opposing a landfill site in Mid Sussex I guess he needs to show consistency! Unfortunately one for the nays!
fat cvnt,
not even a quarter the man his Grand father was,bet tubby soames will turn up if there's a large , free drink in it,and his rent boy sidekick loughton,stuck up tory shitpipes.:angry:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
To update the reply from my LibDem MP: "............

I will appraise NSC of progress.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
26 so far...

Turner, Desmond
Lepper, David
Barlow, Celia
Gibson, Ian
Betts, Clive
Keen, Alan
Hoyle, Lindsay
Iddon, Brian
Martlew, Eric
Cryer, Ann
Dobbin, Jim
Hancock, Mike
Taylor, David
Meale, Alan
Caton, Martin
Clelland, David
Flynn, Paul
Hamilton, David
Berry, Roger
Mates, Michael
McDonnell, John
Moffatt, Laura
Burgon, Colin
Ennis, Jeff
Vis, Rudi
Wyatt, Derek

:clap:

24 x Labour
1 x Conservative
1 x Lib Dem

Last edited:

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
STILL no reply from Mark Williams:angry:

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Email sent to Janet Dean, Burton's Labour MP:

Dear Mrs Dean,

Whilst not being a constituency matter, you have previously been kind enough to support an EDM in favour of the development of a community stadium at Falmer in Brighton.

You may recall that Mr Prescott subsequently decided in favour of the development, but his decision letter contained flaws. As a result, the matter has been referred back to Ruth Kelly to make a decision.

Your parliamentary colleague, Dr Des Turner, MP for Brighton Kemptown, has tabled an Early Day Motion, EDM 882, in the House of Commons in support of the stadium at Falmer and, on behalf of thousands of football supporters, can I encourage you to sign this EDM.

If you aren't aware of this, the motion is:

“That this House regrets that, after more than five years, the planning application for the Brighton and Hove Community Stadium at Falmer is still unresolved; recognises the outstanding community, social and economic benefits and opportunities that the stadium would bring to the city and surrounding region; greatly appreciates the enormous contribution the stadium would make towards the regeneration of the deprived east Brighton area; acknowledges that these benefits amount to national considerations that weigh in favour of the stadium's development; recognises that Falmer is the only site in the city where a sustainable transport plan can be implemented; commends the Falmer stadium proposals to the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government; and calls for the earliest possible decision in favour of the Falmer plans.”

Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club have struggled to remain solvent whilst trying to fund the fight to build a stadium to ensure the survival of the club. By signing this motion, it will show Ruth Kelly the strength of national public feeling about this issue.

The success of the Brewers in the FA Cup last season and in the Conference this season, and the subsequent local and national press coverage shows how important the national game is to the local community.

I hope I can rely on your support to convince Ms Kelly that the stadium at Falmer is the only way forward.

Best wishes

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Just recieved this from Laura Moffatt

Dear Dave

Thank you for your recent email, regarding EDM 882, COMMUNITY STADIUM
FOR BRIGHTON AND HOVE ALBION FC

I am pleased to inform you that I have now added my name to the list of
signatures in support of the motion, as I too recognise this important
issue.

Thank you for bringing this motion to my attention.

Yours sincerely

Laura Moffatt

Member of Parliament for Crawley

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
The following was sent to Gordon Banks (not the 1966 keeper) MP for Ochil (Clackmannanshire and surrounding area)

Dear Mr Banks,

I am writing to you as a constituent of yours who is a life long supporter of Brighton and Hove Albion FC.

Whilst I realise this is not a constituency matter, and in many respects might seem very remote from the thoughts of voters here in Clackmannanshire, I would ask you to consider signing EDM 882 in support of a cause very dear to my heart, which has still yet to be finally resolved.

Dr Des Turner, the MP for the Brighton Kemptown constituency (which includes the Falmer stadium site), has tabled an Early Day Motion in the House of Commons in support of the Community Stadium.
EDM 882 says:

Community Stadium for Brighton and Hove Albion FC

You may not be aware but there is a thriving community of Brighton supporters in Scotland (bhalba - Scottish Seagulls) including families in Menstrie, Sauchie and Tullibody (in your constituency) as well as in Falkirk, Denny, Doune, Dunblane, Perth, Dundee, Aberdeenshire, Fife, Edinburgh and Glasgow (and too many others to mention). We total well in excess of 50 members and arrange trips to Brighton games mainly in the North of England, but also for important games across the whole of the UK.

www.bhalba.co.uk (Scottish Seagulls)

However, we struggle to arrange trips to our "home" games partly due to the lack of available tickets. This is a symptom of the reason for which EDM 882 has been tabled.

As Brighton fans we are only too aware of the importance of local communities having a local football team that can be part of the fabric of that community. In Scotland we have the "Old Firm" factor which prevents many football fans from supporting their local teams such as Alloa Athletic, St. Johnstone, Stenhousemuir, East Stirlingshire, Falkirk etc, putting the financial security of these smaller local clubs at risk. Many of the "Scottish Seagulls" have adopted our local teams and go along to support them.

Brighton fans do not have the "Old Firm" factor to contend with. Whilst the Albion enjoys a potential catchment area of well in excess of 250,000 in Brighton and Hove alone as well as the conurbation along the South Coast and the remainder of East and West Sussex, we have had no permanent home for the past 10 years, relying on playing for 2 years at Gillingham FC (75 miles away) and currently in a temporary athletics stadium (Withdean) that holds fewer that 8,000. Herein lies our main problem.

Without a permanent home in Sussex over the past 10 years the club has struggled financially, but more importantly has been deprived of opportunities to involve a new generation of young fans to support the Seagulls. A new community stadium in Falmer would give us that opportunity and stop the drain of support to the "fashionable" clubs like Chelsea and Arsenal etc.

Despite our difficulties, our club has enjoyed some remarkable successes in the past 10 years.
* We have managed to stay in the Football League thanks only to a managing to draw on the final day of the season in 1997.
* 2 successive championships followed as we rose from the bottom flight to the Championship.
* Relegation to League 1, then immediate promotion via the play-offs.
* We took nearly 30,000 fans to the Millenuim Stadium in Cardiff for the play off final, proving beyond any doubt that there was support for the Albion far in excess of the 8,000 capacity at restricted Withdean Stadium.
*Brighton fans even recorded and released a record to highlight the struggle in which so many believe, which even got to number 17 in the charts!

Whilst John Prescott supported our plans the decision-making process continues to drag on and on; being supported by Labour MP's and councils but opposed by a small number but influential Liberal Democrats and Lewes District Council along the way.

We are desperate for a new home before our club goes under.

Please sign the Early Day Motion and help keep our club and its future alive.

Yours sincerely

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here