Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Smillie's People

Aug 14, 2013
Probably, but they are not running the country at the moment. Neither are they suggesting that citizens are well within their rights to go and fight a war against a nation we are officially at peace with thus breaking UK law.

Yes, she has encouraged folk to fight in a war, thus effectively making a declaration of war, when such involvement would be illegal under UK law.

Liz Truss is indeed perfect for this current government.

This is not the time to put on a blonde wig and engage in ' what about ?'

The Tories used to produce some pretty good statesmen and women. We could have done with William Hague right now.

Not sure about Haguey tbh. I once saw him in Parliament, when my MP fixed a visit for me, and we were waiting in reception to join a group being shown around. Out of a side door shot Haguey and group of distinguished visitors, many in uniform, and an extremely tall lean bloke who Haguey was having to run alongside to keep up with. They disappeared down another exit. "Who was that?" I asked the receptionist. "John Kerry" she replied. It was the time of the threatened Syria intervention. Ever since I've watched JK, probably the best USP the country never elected. And still a major player, which Hague ain't...

Smillie's People

Aug 14, 2013
To a point maybe but she was a chartered management accountant with Shell and trust me, they do not pay peanuts!

So it would seem she either filled her bank account up whilst working for Shell (and C&W) and could therefore afford to take a drop in pay to become an MP or she was so crap in the job they slung her out and getting a job as an MP was the best she could do. Who can say?

What does her husband do for a job? What do they talk about over the breakfast table, and late at night?

I wonder about the Lewes MP, does she small-talk with her husband about issues in Brighton, considering he is the Leader of the Tories on the City Council there (although strangely does not publicise his marriage to Maria Caulfield on his Council website...)

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
To a point maybe but she was a chartered management accountant with Shell and trust me, they do not pay peanuts!

So it would seem she either filled her bank account up whilst working for Shell (and C&W) and could therefore afford to take a drop in pay to become an MP or she was so crap in the job they slung her out and getting a job as an MP was the best she could do. Who can say?

Not to mention that many ministers seem to walk straight from their political careers into ludicrously highly-paid 'consultancy' roles. Often with companies they'll have worked with while in power. Strange that.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
She is going to wreck this country, isn’t she. This is worrying. It’s not legislation that can be reversed. Once we have lost the green areas, we never get them back. She must be stopped.

812B637B-68D1-4B80-9919-F9E6426201E5.jpeg

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
She is going to wreck this country, isn’t she. This is worrying. It’s not legislation that can be reversed. Once we have lost the green areas, we never get them back. She must be stopped.

View attachment 152080

I read somewhere on here earlier that we need to build more homes to bring prices down and control ownership.

They have to go somewhere.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I read somewhere on here earlier that we need to build more homes to bring prices down and control ownership.

They have to go somewhere.

Yes they do. Tearing up precious environmental laws is not the way to do it.

Some special circumstances or dispensations for areas that need housing, yes, that could be talked about.
Just tearing up the rules so developers can just buy up and develop land is not the right move .

This will be parks and school playing fields being built on as well as borders of national parks.

Build housing estates on the 73% of land that is privately owned in the U.K. not the precious 27% us peasants are permitted to enjoy.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Yes they do. Tearing up precious environmental laws is not the way to do it.

Some special circumstances or dispensations for areas that need housing, yes, that could be talked about.
Just tearing up the rules so developers can just buy up and develop land is not the right move .

This will be parks and school playing fields being built on as well as borders of national parks.

Build housing estates on the 73% of land that is privately owned in the U.K. not the precious 27% us peasants are permitted to enjoy.

Do you not anticipate issues, with NIMBYS, newts, restrictions and orders?

It ain't easy.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

It ain't easy.

I do. And I encourage those objections. It’s a vital part of the process and a lynchpin of a democracy.

There are millions of acres of land that can be used for housing. Unfortunately it’s being used for private estates and activities such as pheasant hunting. Put a selling order on it and build estates on that land.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Indeed, and all of which takes time.

Not great for those demanding action NOW.

They can a put compulsory purchase orders on the millions of acres of private estates and hunting grounds owned by the elite and start building straight away. Problem solved with the least possible amount of people adversely affected.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
They can a put compulsory purchase orders on the millions of acres of private estates and hunting grounds owned by the elite and start building straight away. Problem solved with the least possible amount of people adversely affected.

And if they find newts?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

It ain't easy.

I know there are plenty of jokes and stories about building work being stopped for newts, but the facts are that a) their numbers are dropping despite whatever protection they enjoy (which is a good argument for more considered habitat protection, not just continuing as we have been), and b) anything we build is by definition part of the environment, and if we don't consider that in design/planning then we're doing a shit job.

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I know there are plenty of jokes and stories about building work being stopped for newts, but the fact is that a) their numbers are dropping despite whatever protection they enjoy (which is a good argument for more considered habitat protection, not just continuing as we have been), and b) anything we build is by definition part of the environment, and if we don't consider that in design/planning then we're doing a shit job.

Too many people. Not enough newts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here