Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Are we now attacking reducing the NI cut after attacking it being put on?

The more pertinent question is what happens to social care? The whole point of the NI increase, we were told, was to fund better social care. There's been no mention of what happens now.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The more pertinent question is what happens to social care? The whole point of the NI increase, we were told, was to fund better social care. There's been no mention of what happens now.

if they hadnt spent so much time attacking it, you'd think Labour would be asking this question right now.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I have had contact with my MP and was very satisfied actually. I've also worked with a shadow minister back in the day and was impressed with the amount of work that he did. In fact, I've met quite a few MPs through work and none of them struck me as lazy. There are some MPs who are swinging the lead but most work pretty hard (debates, select committees, constituent complaints/issues/ social gatherings within a constituency etc).

Yup, our MP seems to work all the time. Every weekend he is doing something in the community up here be it surgeries, business/charity visits etc. Some people may not like his politics but they cannot say he doesn't work hard.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

I’m all for the extra tax, stuff needs to be paid for.

The NI increase was eventually going to Social Care, but it was being sent to the bottomless pit of the NHS to start with.

In hindsight forcing people out of the system for not being vaccinated was a massive error.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Not forgetting the fracking licences awarded last week when nobody was looking.

This disappoints me....After trumpeting grand intentions to promote renewable energy at The Climate Change conference, we go and do this ! Fracking is destructive and harmful and burning gas creates CO2.
I hope they don’t come back to Sussex with their fracking drills.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This disappoints me....After trumpeting grand intentions to promote renewable energy at The Climate Change conference, we go and do this ! Fracking is destructive and harmful and burning gas creates CO2.
I hope they don’t come back to Sussex with their fracking drills.

I'm afraid Barcombe is back on the list.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
To take it further I'm not averse to the idea of political parties being publicly-funded rather than relying on large donations. Private donors, from Bernie Ecclestone for Labour through umpteen Tories, give money expecting (and getting) favours and honours in return. The larger your donation the more influence you have. It is corruption in its purest form.

Anyway, that's well O/T and I know it will divide opinion: 50% of you are thinking 'No', and the other 50% are thinking 'Hell, no!' :)

**** yes. I would outright ban political donations and have political parties be funded purely from public funds. Absolutely. Australia is halfway there (there's public funding, but donations aren't fully banned).

It's interesting looking at the polls. There's not really any sign of a "new PM" bounce for the Tory's. If anything, the Labour position has consolidated at over 40%. If, as I expect, Truss begins to lose support as time goes on and people get to learn more about how out of touch she is, the Tories could be in for an absolute battering by the time of the next election.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Totally disagree, sorry. What do they actually do? Have you ever been to see your MP? I have and he told me all he can do is ask a question in Parliament on my behalf. It will get an answer from the Minister which would be the same answer that I would get from the Department concerned. So there you have it, they don’t actually do anything and you want to pay them more?
However I am in favour of doubling their wages providing we halve their numbers. The USA manage to get by with 400 congressmen and 100 senators. We have 650 MPs and 900 odd in the house of Lords. The gravy train should stop.

My MP is a Tory so I disagree with him on most national policy issues but he has always been very responsive and helpful when I have contacted him about local issues. I have seen him out and about a lot and he seems very active in parliament. No issues with his workrate, plenty about his voting record but that is what I’d expect.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Oh, and if you protest, apparently you could be being paid by Putin!

[tweet]1572910961941684225[/tweet]

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
My MP is a Tory so I disagree with him on most national policy issues but he has always been very responsive and helpful when I have contacted him about local issues. I have seen him out and about a lot and he seems very active in parliament. No issues with his workrate, plenty about his voting record but that is what I’d expect.

My question remains, “What do they actually do?” Ask them about the roads and its the councils responsibility etc. Yes they serve on committees and as previous posters have said they can be very busy. My question remains “What do they do?” If they are in it for the money, like Johnson, we can do better imho.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I'm afraid this will be a controversial view, but if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. Our current crop of politicians are mostly second- or third-raters. Very few people of any talent would do such a high-pressure job for so little money. That's why so many of them are desperate to grift any extra they can.

To a point maybe but she was a chartered management accountant with Shell and trust me, they do not pay peanuts!

So it would seem she either filled her bank account up whilst working for Shell (and C&W) and could therefore afford to take a drop in pay to become an MP or she was so crap in the job they slung her out and getting a job as an MP was the best she could do. Who can say?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Oh, and if you protest, apparently you could be being paid by Putin!

[tweet]1572910961941684225[/tweet]

He "understands" but provides absolutely no evidence for his assertion that those opposed to fracking have had their mines warped by Putin.

The man is a moron. He has stepped into the bunglec**t's shoes as the "Minister for Talking Bollocks".

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
[tweet]1569790748693827584[/tweet]

https://www.geoexpro.com/articles/2015/06/the-weald-basin-hot-spot-or-hot-air

[tweet]1572917327712190466[/tweet]

...and yet: https://www.angusenergy.co.uk/what-we-do/balcombe-discovery-pedl244/

"All operations at Balcombe will be performed through conventional production. There will be no hydraulic fracturing or “fracking”.

Angus Energy tested the Balcombe 2Z well in the Autumn of 2018 and achieved strong oil flow rates to surface. However, the oil production rates were restricted by drilling fluids not totally recovered from the well. The company intends to return to the site in Q4 2020 to recover remaining drilling fluids and carry out an Extended Well Test to prove up the commercial potential of the field."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here