Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Those rules are being chucked out by Truss. No longer an issue.

I get it you'd prefer delays, court cases and responsible wildlife monitoring (as I would) over immediate reduction of house prices along with increased availability.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I know there are plenty of jokes and stories about building work being stopped for newts, but the fact is that a) their numbers are dropping despite whatever protection they enjoy (which is a good argument for more considered habitat protection, not just continuing as we have been), and b) anything we build is by definition part of the environment, and if we don't consider that in design/planning then we're doing a shit job.

if they are so few, how come they keep stopping developments?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I get it you'd prefer delays, court cases and responsible wildlife monitoring (as I would) over immediate reduction of house prices along with increased availability.

There is that. But I’m also serious when I say that the answer is to compulsory purchase private estates. I’m not daft though, it’s never going to happen.

I think Lancing college flogged off a lot of land recently though.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
if they are so few, how come they keep stopping developments?

For a start, you don't hear about the developments they don't stop. And most ecological objections can be overcome quite easily, the main point is to think about this sort of thing at the start of a project rather than waiting until you're a couple of weeks away from starting work to get somebody out to check if there are any issues.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Someone less charitable than myself might say the Tories know they’re not getting back in anytime soon and are adopting a “scorched earth” policy as a result.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
There is that. But I’m also serious when I say that the answer is to compulsory purchase private estates. I’m not daft though, it’s never going to happen.

I think Lancing college flogged off a lot of land recently though.

I did some work for a very large private estate in the Haywards Heath area and they had a CPO for several fields which have been built on/are being built on now. Same for a large farm up near Bolney, they were forced to sell a large area that's subsequently a housing estate.

Both were identified by the County Council as building areas and forced to sell and both in the last 5 years. No idea how much more goes on that we don't know of.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I did some work for a very large private estate in the Haywards Heath area and they had a CPO for several fields which have been built on/are being built on now. Same for a large farm up near Bolney, they were forced to sell a large area that's subsequently a housing estate.

Both were identified by the County Council as building areas and forced to sell and both in the last 5 years. No idea how much more goes on that we don't know of.

Ah, interesting. Thanks for the info. That’s encouraging.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
What is it with politicians in this country? Why don't they look out for people that genuinely need looking out for? Another scum politician helping the rich get richer. Whilst there is people out there who can't afford a loaf of bread now that it's almost double in price.

Tories, and anyone who votes for them are filth. You're disgusting, as long as your bank account and investment is looked after, and your scenic country view goes undisturbed, fkuc the rest of us, you know the ones who keep the economy moving, the ones who had to actually go to work during covid, whilst you lot were sat indoors drinking wine, moaning there wasn't anything good to watch on tele. We're the ones that get shat on yet again. You make me sick!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
What is it with politicians in this country? Why don't they look out for people that genuinely need looking out for? Another scum politician helping the rich get richer. Whilst there is people out there who can't afford a loaf of bread now that it's almost double in price.

Tories, and anyone who votes for them are filth. You're disgusting, as long as your bank account and investment is looked after, and your scenic country view goes undisturbed, fkuc the rest of us, you know the ones who keep the economy moving, the ones who had to actually go to work during covid, whilst you lot were sat indoors drinking wine, moaning there wasn't anything good to watch on tele. We're the ones that get shat on yet again. You make me sick!

And breathe..

I do agree with a lot of what you say, but maybe not in quite such a ranty way :lol:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

People would love if they're just incompetent, so they go with that. Looking at political decisions (not just in the UK but everywhere), the more likely answer is that they're corrupt - every single one of those reaching that level of power. But that would crush our hopes that the next election (and then the one after that and it goes on..) is magically going to solve all problems, and we don't want that... so we settle for "incompetent".

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

So the 14 million people who voted Tory at the last election match that description do they? There are 14 million voters sat in their mansions, or sliding down piles of money Scrooge McDuck style?

Or are there 13.99m idiots, with the billionaires making up the rest?

I don’t see how this blanket “everyone who does the thing I don’t like is an idiot” thing can ever, ever work. Labour tried with it Momentum and achieved some of their worst election results ever.

The sooner people stop demonising Tory voters, and attempt to win hearts and minds, rather than belittling them, the better hope we have of getting rid of this abominable government.

I have already decided I’ll be voting anything but Conservative next time out, but when people deliver rants of this kind on here, or in a pub, or at the football, I immediately turn off to their cause.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
So the 14 million people who voted Tory at the last election match that description do they? There are 14 million voters sat in their mansions, or sliding down piles of money Scrooge McDuck style?

I don’t see how this blanket “everyone who does the thing I don’t like is an idiot” thing can ever, ever work. Labour tried with it Momentum and achieved some of their worst election results ever.

The sooner people stop demonising Tory voters, and attempt to win hearts and minds, rather than belittling them, the better hope we have of getting rid of this abominable government.

I have already decided I’ll be voting anything but Conservative next time out, but when people deliver rants of this kind on here, or in a pub, or at the football, I immediately turn off to their cause.

wronguns are always going to be selected as tory mps, it's the millions of enablers that really should know better, that are the actual problem

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

This. Can't stand these 'ranty' people who try and force their opinions down your throat. Absolute tossers.

There needs to be a decent opposition / alternative. The thought of Corbyn in power last time had me voting Conservative. Not too impressed with SIR Starmer (far from working class) but it's ABC for me at the moment (Anything But Conservative).

And I'm working class I guess. Certainly blue collar and work with my hands. Though the line between working class and middle class has got blurry over the last 20-30 years imo.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Majorities are very often wrong, this was the country remember that voted for a dog to win Britain's Got Talent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here