Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Must be the shortest 'standing ovation' at any party political conference I can remember.

A speech with zero policy announcements, we learnt nothing new.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Someone has been kicked out, biggest applause of the morning and Liz is gurning :lolol:

Biggest applause of the speech came when two people with dissenting voices were bodily removed. Not great optics, especially as, when all the clapping started, the cameras were on the protestors and it was easy for the rest of the country to hear the applause as being for them for asking what we are all thinking and not for their removal.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Nasty piece of work. Apparently had an 18 month affair with Truss after the party had appointed him as her mentor!! Says a lot about his character.

Yes, Truss was named his divorce for adultery by his ex wife.

He was accused of assault of the woman from Greenpeace, and suspended as an MP. She then graciously said she wouldn't press charges. He stoo down at the 2019
election.

Another porky from Ms Truss, saying she was the first PM to go to comprehensive school. Both Gordon Brown and Theresa May went to comprehensive schools.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Get on, say absolutely nothing, try not to gurn too much and get off quick before the clapping stops

HTF am I going to manage to extend that to 45 mins :shrug:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Another porky from Ms Truss, saying she was the first PM to go to comprehensive school. Both Gordon Brown and Theresa May went to comprehensive schools.

Presumably she also overlooked mentioning that she wants to open more Grammar Schools;

nor that she reportedly sent her own kids to Grammar Schools; https://www.theguardian.com/educati...ns-and-experts-criticise-grammar-schools-plan

nor that she has slagged off her comprehensive school: https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/leeds-news/liz-truss-facing-backlash-leeds-24518183

She said that "The reason I am a Conservative is that I saw kids at my school being let down in Leeds."

She was born in July 1975, so would have been at secondary school between 1985 and 1991, when Margaret Thatcher's and latterly John Major's governments were in charge of UK education policy. Her reaction to seeing her peers being let down by the tories must have been slow moving as well as utterly confusing, because after seeing it, she became president of the Oxford Union Lib Dems, working actively for them until at least 1994 and didn't bother joining the Conservative Party until five years after her GCSEs in 1996.

As my old granny would have put it: - 'She just opens her mouth and lets her belly rumble.'

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A press photographer who has worked for the FT, and one time News Photographer of the year, being manhandled and thrown out of the conference.
One wonders why?

[tweet]1577596369124360192[/tweet]

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
M People rightly pissed off at Truss using 'Moving On Up' without seeking permission - which would have been refused

Apparently, they tried to stop it. Heather Small's son is a Labour councillor.

[tweet]1577609237349408768[/tweet]

Jul 20, 2003
Presumably she also overlooked mentioning that she wants to open more Grammar Schools;

nor that she reportedly sent her own kids to Grammar Schools; https://www.theguardian.com/educati...ns-and-experts-criticise-grammar-schools-plan

nor that she has slagged off her comprehensive school: https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/leeds-news/liz-truss-facing-backlash-leeds-24518183

She said that "The reason I am a Conservative is that I saw kids at my school being let down in Leeds."

She was born in July 1975, so would have been at secondary school between 1985 and 1991, when Margaret Thatcher's and latterly John Major's governments were in charge of UK education policy. Her reaction to seeing her peers being let down by the tories must have been slow moving as well as utterly confusing, because after seeing it, she became president of the Oxford Union Lib Dems, working actively for them until at least 1994 and didn't bother joining the Conservative Party until five years after her GCSEs in 1996.

As my old granny would have put it: - 'She just opens her mouth and lets her belly rumble.'

Fun fact. The MP for Leeds North East 1958-87 was Keith Joseph who was Secretary of state for education 81-86.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Honestly I doubt she’d pass the “I’m not a robot” test if she tried to sign up to NSC

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Honestly I doubt she’d pass the “I’m not a robot” test if she tried to sign up to NSC

Select all images with
U-TURNS

563032d111cd94a7c2a7df1efc447a7a.jpg

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
You really have to wonder whether, as well as not clearing the rights, the SPAD who arranged the entrance song was actually trolling Truss.

Selected excerpts from the lyrics:

"You've done me wrong, your time is up
You took a sip from the devil's cup"

"Move right out of here, baby, go on pack your bags
Just who do you think you are?
Stop actin' like some kind of star"

"Cause I'm movin' on up, you're movin' on out"

"There ain't nothin' you can do
'Cause I've had enough of me, baby, bein' part of you"
Just who do you think you are?
This time you've gone too far"

If they were going to purloin an M People song, they would have been far better off going for the original 1990 mix of 'How Can I Love You More'. The lyrics wouldn't have been an issue and its also a joyous dancefloor anthem, by far and away the best thing they ever did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhKUMZY8yf0

[MENTION=34747]Ooh it’s a corner[/MENTION] I may want to change mine: http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/showthread.php?396617-Give-Me-A-Song-That/page16

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here