Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Labour were trounced in 2019 because the Red Wall voted to 'Get Brexit Done' . Now polls show 61% of the Red Wall intend to vote Labour, yet what we don't know is how much that figure will go up or down by if Starmer moves back towards a customs union position. We don't know the extent to which in the minds of the voters Brexit was bound up with Boris. You could sell it as Boris's biggest lie in a whole lifetime of lying.

Starmer has not made it clear how he would deliver the sort of 2.5% growth Truss and Kwarteng are aiming for, but it is telling the Tories haven't mentioned anything about Brexit helping them to do that. It's all about tax cuts and freeports, not a word about new free trade deals. Yet Starmer clearly will not pursue growth through tax cuts and freeports, while I don't believe we can get the growth we need without rowing back on the Tory Brexit so we unblock the ports, get rid of the excise duties and sort Northern Ireland. It will be fascinating to see what he does. I suspect he will try and honour the Brexit we have, and then see growth continue to stagnate, rather than properly address the elephant in the room.

I agree with all of the above. But I think given a free decision Starmer would opt to (re)join a customs Union. But he also knows there probably still isn’t a majority in favour of it (or at least not a majority among people who might vote for him). So he kinda has to play the pragmatic hand. There’s an argument that as a collective population we’re reaping what we’ve sewn having voted for Brexit and Boris…

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I thought they generally won by using fewer candidates than Labour in multi seat wards, the greater Labour vote being more thinly spread between candidates?

For example.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Barking_and_Dagenham_London_Borough_Council_election

Those are still FPTP elections, it's just everybody has 3 equally weighted votes and the 3 candidates with the most votes win.

It's a system renowned for producing horribly skewed results because people generally asign their 3 votes to the same party, so a vote split of 45%,35%,20% between parties within a ward will normally produce 3 winners from the leading party - ie 45% of the vote produces 100% of the seats.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
5D0B5218-6ABB-485C-BD0E-96857C33BCE8.jpeg
C937C9EE-C4B2-4FB3-B62D-3B3411E3EB32.jpeg
8D330846-66AE-435A-9A87-9720A8118E8C.jpeg

Gawd help us all.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Braverman accuses MPs of ‘coup’, the very same MP who went on Peston to say Johnson should stand down whilst throwing her into the ring.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
More than 330,000 excess deaths in Great Britain in recent years can be attributed to spending cuts to public services and benefits introduced by a UK government pursuing austerity policies, according to an academic study.

The authors of the study suggest additional deaths between 2012 and 2019 – prior to the Covid pandemic – reflect an increase in people dying prematurely after experiencing reduced income, ill-health, poor nutrition and housing, and social isolation.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
More than 330,000 excess deaths in Great Britain in recent years can be attributed to spending cuts to public services and benefits introduced by a UK government pursuing austerity policies, according to an academic study.

The authors of the study suggest additional deaths between 2012 and 2019 – prior to the Covid pandemic – reflect an increase in people dying prematurely after experiencing reduced income, ill-health, poor nutrition and housing, and social isolation.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Typical woke view.

No mention of the growth opportunities created in the funeral, bereavement card and florist industries.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Asked this morning if she trusts her chancellor she refused to say yes. That's a few weeks in and she can't even back the bloke she appointed. Not great. What is she doing? I've gone from thinking she was being brave and trying new things to agreeing with you lot that she is clueless. Help. Who to vote for now!

someone sensible? business like? hmmmmmmm?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Yes I believe you're right. So fed up with all the politics though. Just get on and do your job as best you can. Mistakes happen, no one is perfect but if things are done for the wrong reasons then it is not acceptable. Just feels like the whole party is now fighting for who is going to be party leader once Truss gets demolished at the next election.

did you think they would put the country before their careers?

you didn't, did you? ....................................... at your age?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
ecc3d38840e2d012b1a6596b498f5659.jpg

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Truss speech due to start. Watch for what happens with the markets. Pound is very steady so far today at a touch over $1.14, 10yr gilt yields having dropped to 3.8% yesterday trended up from mid afternoon and now sitting around 4%.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Errrr ... is Truss' "keynote speech" a pre-recorded video? If that's all we're getting, all I can say is ...

Edit: ok, she is on stage now.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
This is beyond a joke. The man who was filmed laughing in Westminster Abbey now blames the Queen's funeral for his mistakes.

[tweet]1577282745377644544[/tweet]

i slagged these pricks off months ago and got branded a racist gammon .......well there you go , fill your boots....ffs

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
M People's Moving On Up was her walk-on song. "Movin' on up, you're movin' on out..."

The only people moving will be the ones defaulting on mortgage payments and having their homes repossessed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here