Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The theory being those on higher incomes will spend their gain going out and buying stuff I guess.

It's a bit of a unicorn theory though. Someone earning £1m gains £55k a year ( probably more if they're a banker ! ). After paying the increases in energy and the mortgage they may add a couple of extra foreign holidays - some of that expenditure will stay in the UK economy but most will leave it and go to the economy of the country they holiday in. Maybe a new car. After that I would imagine they will put the extra into low tax investments - thus removing the money from the economy for now. Basically the policy and theory it utterly nuts - as the markets proved yesterday.

It's a bit of a unicorn theory though. Someone earning £1m gains £55k a year ( probably more if they're a banker ! ). After paying the increases in energy and the mortgage they may add a couple of extra foreign holidays - some of that expenditure will stay in the UK economy but most will leave it and go to the economy of the country they holiday in. Maybe a new car. After that I would imagine they will put the extra into low tax investments - thus removing the money from the economy for now. Basically the policy and theory it utterly nuts - as the markets proved yesterday.

Low tax investments like VCTs, EISs, SEISs, ISAs & Pensions which all invest in UK companies, creating additional investment, corporation tax & income tax & NI to the treasury

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton

This approach has been tried time and time again with the same outcome:

A study done by the LSE looked at 18 developed countries between 1965 to 2015 and compared countries that cut taxes on the rich (for example the Reagan tax cuts in 1982), with those that didn't pursue similar policies that year.

In the five years following each tax cut the data showed no material difference in per-capita GDP or unemployment rates between countries that slashed taxes on the rich and in those that didn't.
The study actually found that tax cuts have only consistently benefited one group — the rich.

https://eprints.lse.ac.uk/107919/1/Hope_economic_consequences_of_major_tax_cuts_published.pdf

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The idea that any BBC news flagship programme is presenting a pro gov agenda suggesting a wider bias is laughable. Giving a voice to people who you don't agree with/ have an altetnative view is a public service .. less of the pearl clutching petal.

You have not been paying attention. Weeknight political panel's used to be red,yellow and blue. They are now consistently blue, blue and one other. In this case blue. I am actually asking for alternative views. We currently get very slightly different flavours of the same minority view and it's being presented as the mainstream opinion. It's a lie. Most people don't think the way their panel does.

Incidentally, your attempt at a belittling ad hominem distracts from your argument. If you want people to engage with what you are saying, it may be a good idea not to start by insulting those who have different views. It makes you look like you lack confidence in the strength of your argument, so have to resort to petty name calling.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
something that shows is everyone is a bit better off, albeit unbalanced. way some of the commentary is framed, we're all losing money except the top bracket. as the upper tax braket is 150k, also shows distribution of the NI increase, it wasnt the regressive tax everyone claimed.
Indeed. Just looking at the graph and it's like WTF, but the reality is that 1p off of the basic rate is no bad thing, and claiming that removing the temporary hike in NI is some deal for the rich is disingenuous because the Torys put it there in the first place and it was only temporary. I would rather the 45% rate stayed because I think the high earners can easily afford it, but to be honest I wouldn't expect a Tory government to have the top rate that high and I'd expect a Labour government to put it back.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Low tax investments like VCTs, EISs, SEISs, ISAs & Pensions which all invest in UK companies, creating additional investment, corporation tax & income tax & NI to the treasury

That is investment in shares not directly in the company. All it will do will create asset inflation.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton

Even if that does happen (over 30 years evidence suggests it doesn't) it pales into insignificance compared to the effects of tax multipliers when you give more money to the poorest.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
The theory being those on higher incomes will spend their gain going out and buying stuff I guess.

09EE3FB8-574D-4742-AA8B-3B51B0419BFB.jpeg

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

And virtually none of it will get to the people that need it - namely the not working, those on low incomes and now, even middle income earners. It's a policy to make the rich richer - nothing more than that.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

And virtually none of it will get to the people that need it - namely the not working, those on low incomes and now, even middle income earners. It's a policy to make the rich richer - nothing more than that.

There is no magic Money Tree. Those on low incomes will benefit further as & when the UK tax take increases.
The measures that the Chancellor has put in place will benefit the whole population in time.
CF27AB23-033A-4E4E-93F3-AAB01A13F07A.jpeg

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
There is no magic Money Tree. Those on low incomes will benefit further as & when the UK tax take increases.
The measures that the Chancellor has put in place will benefit the whole population in time.

I'm sorry but I'm not going to take a lesson in 'trickle down' economics from some who's sole purpose is to make wealthy people richer and to avoid paying tax. While tax avoidance isn't illegal you have to question the morality of the people that promote it and those that use it.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill

But clearly there is a magic money tree - the Chancellor has massively increased govt borrowing in order to give tax breaks to the wealthiest and to prop up the windfall profits of the energy providers.

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Everyone knows that there are enchanted forests of magic money trees when the Government wants them. They just press the quantitative easing button and the mystic saplings sprout.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm sorry but I'm not going to take a lesson in 'trickle down' economics from some who's sole purpose is to make wealthy people richer and to avoid paying tax. While tax avoidance isn't illegal you have to question the morality of the people that promote it and those that use it.

IFA’s:
1. Purpose no.1 get very rich yourself, income not dependent on performance.
2. Attempt to build or protect client wealth.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill

And the Resolution Foundation has reported this morning that the net effect of all the recent Tory tax changes is that middle income earners will be paying more.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
View attachment 152159

The UK's tax take has just reduced by £45 billion. As repeated right wing governments have been pushing this ideological nonsense for 40 years now, presumably the benefits for all will be along very very shortly.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Cutting taxes does not increase the tax take though. That’s like saying Brighton would score more goals if they never went within 20 yards of the opponents goal. It utterly defies logic.

And before you try and claim it makes rich people more inclined to pay tax, that’s total bollocks which has never happened anywhere. It’s a lie made up by rich people so they don’t get taxed as much and swallowed only by people driven by ideology or stupidity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here