Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Are there any apolitical economists on here? :lolol:

Why has the Euro crashed against the USD since May 2021, crashing further today, what gives?

44F43208-9B30-448C-AB1E-CC3D42731D34.png

9ED784F1-486E-4B78-BF98-98AA25FD629D.png

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Why has the Euro crashed against the USD since May 2021, crashing further today, what gives?

You need to sort out your Y axes, mate. ???

(I have deleted those abominable figures because they were making my eyeballs hurt. :facepalm::eek::ohmy:)
:O

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

View attachment 152135

View attachment 152136

The US raised rates today which always causes a spike in the value of the dollar. However the pound is also going down fast against the Euro so this is not just a US issue.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Because in uncertain times the dollar is seen as a safer bet over the pound or euro.

It's surprising that that's never evolved. The Eurozone is a huge trading block and currency, its GDP 68% that of the US, a powerhouse in exporting goods = hard cash inflows.

I wonder if markets trust a far more capitalist hub?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You mean the Kwasi with a degree in classics?

"Classics at Cambridge combines many disciplines and perspectives in the study of Greek and Roman Antiquity. The Greek and Roman world is studied here as a period in the past and through the receptions of classical culture, language and philosophy both historically and in the present day."

What better grounding can you have to run the economy of a once great nation. Alas that is no more.

Where is Mr Blobby when you need him?

That's truly shocking. I almost don't know what to say.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's surprising that that's never evolved. The Eurozone is a huge trading block and currency, its GDP 68% that of the US, a powerhouse in exporting goods = hard cash inflows.

I wonder if markets trust a far more capitalist hub?

I suspect the Euro may have stayed a little stronger had one of the countries on the border with the EU not been invaded by Russia.

See how the US economy would fare if China were to invade Canada. ???

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
The US raised rates today which always causes a spike in the value of the dollar. However the pound is also going down fast against the Euro so this is not just a US issue.

And the Yen. GBP has taken an absolute battering today.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Anyone can say anything, post the vilest nonsense possible and nothing is done.

Then perfectly legitimate threads get moved to the Bear Pit.

There are some bonkers decisions being made.

I’ve been here since 2008 and it has never been this bad.

Well I’m a mod. If you don’t like it, dry your eyes and debate it.

IMO this country has just been sold to disaster capitalists by a bunch of incompetent fascists. Not just the poor - the middle classes too. If you disagree tell me why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Since Putin started the genocidal war:

Euro lost 15% to USD.
GPB lost 20% to USD.
GBP lost 7% to Euro.

[Yes, I realise they're all interrelated stats].

So with a bit of digging, I can see that when exchange rates are mentioned and "the collapse of Sterling", the overwhelming majority of this has been suffered by the Eurozone too and it started 9 months before Putin acted.

My instinct is that the USD have the globe by the goolies on exchange rates, it's literally THE safe haven for assets in any crash, in this crash. Funds pouring in from 'Emerging Markets' too as everyone ditches Russia, parts of Asia, Latin America.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

the masters of the universe know that the german economy recently went into negative growth

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well I’m a mod. If you don’t like it, dry your eyes and debate it.

IMO this country has just been sold to disaster capitalists by a bunch of incompetent fascists. Not just the poor - the middle classes too. If you disagree tell me why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@GB, respectfully, in light in the genocide and the rape of kids by real fascists just now in Ukraine, I think that's not the best term to use here.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
@GB, respectfully, in light in the genocide and the rape of kids by real fascists just now in Ukraine, I think that's not the best term to use here.

Respectfully they are far right fascists in my opinion. I get that others might not agree. Sending brown people who have escaped the horrors of war to Rwanda? Fascist. Failing to complete it because they didn't do their legal due diligence? Incompetence. Shutting down debate? Fascist.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here