Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Liz Truss **RESIGNS 20/10/2022**

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Tbh, no I don't.

It is difficult for everyone, however ever since the Brexit vote it just seems that some punters hope of failure in order to be able to cock a snook and say 'I told you so'.

I feel it is a calculated gamble, hopefully one that will pay off.

Quite frankly, right now, I have no idea but I certainly hope it does.
I can't understand why it is so hard for those on the right to look at policies by right wing governments and sometimes just decide they're not very good. Is it simply stubbornness?

In this instance, tax cuts will benefit the rich who don't actually spend the additional money they receive. Furthermore, trickle-down economics just doesn't seem to work.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
No need to pretend anymore who's running the shop, its as easy as A B C D

A - Austerity

B - Brexit

C - Cronyism

D - Devaluation

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    70.5 KB · Views: 133

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
[tweet]1573310225209253888[/tweet]

That's good then.

so is that the only reason that it was made plain that this is NOT a budget, to avoid scrutiny from the OBR?

cos it does seem more budgety than most budgets

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I can't understand why it is so hard for those on the right to look at policies by right wing governments and sometimes just decide they're not very good. Is it simply stubbornness?

In this instance, tax cuts will benefit the rich who don't actually spend the additional money they receive. Furthermore, trickle-down economics just doesn't seem to work.

i think it's more an ego thing

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
[tweet]1573238591496634370[/tweet]
[tweet]1573313007337312258[/tweet]

They’re not even hiding it now. Nice.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Oh. I'm not a great follower of politics as I think they're all pretty much a bunch of power hungry tossers. Just some slightly more than others so pretty dissolutioed with the lot. But I am sure I read that he came from money? Obviously I need to fact check it. If indeed he is a working class made good, then I do applaud that fully. For is that not what we all want for ourselves?

Thanks for pointing it out HWT and I'll check it out where I got my info from.

No worries, mate. :thumbsup:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
In case you were wondering, the cutover at which you're better off starts at £155,000 p.a.

The salary of the Chancellor is...

FdWJG4YWIAAzkPH.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
so is that the only reason that it was made plain that this is NOT a budget, to avoid scrutiny from the OBR?

cos it does seem more budgety than most budgets

it may be theres a raft of announcements here some of which can be row'd back on later. the outlook is patchy before trying to put in the energy bailout and then any tax cuts, which may have been revised down. in 6 mth the outlook may look very different.

thing overlooked is there's no spending cuts. the problem is expecting debt will pick up the slack between forward expense and revenue. no one's going to get less, and spending increases carry on.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
they're not even ideological
I think they are - they are banking on the idea that tax cuts stimulate growth.

It won't address the immediate problems we have though: a cost of living crisis, the need for food banks, sensible management of the national debt, and it definitely won't address spiraling inflation. This is the culmination of 12 years of almost unbelievably incompetent Tory rule.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nearly went below 1.09 just now. What have they funking done?

Ah, well, the trouble with you naysayers is that you continually talk this great country down.

Since we bravely left the EU, America has become our number one trading partner.

In order to encourage further trade, and indeed as a gesture of support to our great ally in these difficult times, we have facilitated trade between ourselves and America by rebalancing the exchange rate.

It's good for business, and good for Britain!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I haven't read all of the concerns. Is the worry that it will fail in the medium term the main bugbear, or is that it appears to favour the super wealthy?

Both, to be honest.

But mainly the fear that our economy will crash and burn.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I think they are - they are banking on the idea that tax cuts stimulate growth.

It won't address the immediate problems we have though: a cost of living crisis, the need for food banks, sensible management of the national debt, and it definitely won't address spiraling inflation. This is the culmination of 12 years of almost unbelievably incompetent Tory rule.

But there is no logic to the ideological, so perhaps in my mind it's idealistic and insane.
I doubt you'd find many economists who agree that in am environment with high inflation, low unemployment and high costs of borrowing, that a tax cut is ideologically the right thing to do.

By devaluing sterling, they've already probably increased the cost of borrowing of the rest of our debt beyond what they're offering out here. It's moronic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here