Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
Best

The countryside, and our coastline.
Country pubs.
Music
BBC
Democracy, even if we don't like what we get sometimes.
Our language
NHS
Sport, and the variety of great sporting events we have here.
Politeness and good manners, the ability to queue properly
The weather on a beautiful spring day
The British sense of humour

Worst

Overcrowding, especially in the South east, and the fact our countryside is slowly but surely being concreted over.
The weather on a shitty February day
Our overcrowded roads, and expensive public transport system

Think that about sums it up for me too.

Racek

Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
As an ex-pat I've had a chance to reminisce on the UK and the best thing about the UK is the architecture. The worst things is the fact that everyone seems in such a rush. No-one has time for anyone even shop staff. Of course there is the exception to both that proves the rule. :)

Seems that wherever I go most ex-pats seem to miss the bacon.

Racek

Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
That to, but in a city that has lost most of it's beautiful stone buildings I realised how much I miss the architecture. The Royal Pavillion, Harringtons (as was), The clock tower, Brighton station, all great buildings.

Mmmmm, bacon!!!!!

hahah. Sorry, replied to the wron person. That must have looked a bit radom!

Racek

Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
Not really, Danish bacon is amazing.

Although I do have some reasonable bacon that come from an organic butchers. Pig was killed on the Thursday and I had the bacon in my hands the following Wednesday.

That is pretty good.

It does annoy me sometimes, when people moan that you cannot get the same food here as you can in the UK. Surley that is part of living in a different country! I miss a chinese take-away sometimes, but I can live with that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That to, but in a city that has lost most of it's beautiful stone buildings I realised how much I miss the architecture. The Royal Pavillion, Harringtons (as was), The clock tower, Brighton station, all great buildings.

Mmmmm, bacon!!!!!

The attitude to modern architecture in the UK stinks though, no more than in Brighton. It is almost impossible to build something new in this city let alone something exciting and daring. I have lost count of the projects which have been proposed and failed. I know we got the AMEX but this was only just and only after a 10 year battle and the constant will of thousands of supporters.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
That is pretty good.

It does annoy me sometimes, when people moan that you cannot get the same food here as you can in the UK. Surley that is part of living in a different country! I miss a chinese take-away sometimes, but I can live with that.
Exactly. People moan about the price of food over here, but if you eat "in season" food then it's cheaper than the UK, especially if you buy it from a fruiterers instead of a Supermarket. There are foods over here that you'd not get in the UK without paying mad prices.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
The attitude to modern architecture in the UK stinks though, no more than in Brighton. It is almost impossible to build something new in this city let alone something exciting and daring. I have lost count of the projects which have been proposed and failed. I know we got the AMEX but this was only just and only after a 10 year battle and the constant will of thousands of supporters.

Where as Christchurch has the opposite problem. A lot of the new builds are generic glass and steel cubes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Where as Christchurch has the opposite problem. A lot of the new builds are generic glass and steel cubes.

If I had my way everything would be designed by Frank Gehry. Everything. How cool would that be?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Another issue with the UK is that whenever a cafe, restaurant, bar is taken over the new owner believes that all everyone wants is a high end beech wood, chrome, bright lights and expensive version of what went before. Reality is most want a decent product in half decent surroundings at a fair price.

I guess a lot of this is vanity as it's better to tell people you own a chain of high end cafes as opposed to 10 greasy spoons? A lot of British pub history and culture is wiped out by this attitude.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If only. However there is a 14m limit to building the CBD (central business district) now (so in the event of any other major disasters rescue is a lot easier). That limits the options on what buildings can be built.

Brighton or NZ?

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Brighton or NZ?
NZ. After the quakes and a lot of the tall buildings didn't cope to well they decided to completely redo the entire CBD (except about 4 buildings that are taller than the 14m limit). One of the tall buildings had the stairs collapse ('Seismic Gap' On Forsyth Barr Building Stairs Had... | Stuff.co.nz) so I think the 14m comes from the height of the turntable fire engine ladder. Not sure to be honest though (and the 14m may not be accurate but it is about that).

EDIT: Found it- Christchurch rebuild plan revealed - National - NZ Herald News It's 28m or upto 8 storeys. Guess it's not limited to the length of the ladder.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Best - The Countryside, the optimistic manner of the people who don't phone in to Radio 5 or read the daily mail and those that don't blame all our woes on the unemployed, immigrants and cyclists.

Worst - The South East and the complete and utter reliance of many people on their car. It's the greatest reflection of our total and complete loss of any focus on the society as a whole and a wholesale acceptance of thatcherite individualism.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Best - The Countryside, the optimistic manner of the people who don't phone in to Radio 5 or read the daily mail and those that don't blame all our woes on the unemployed, immigrants and cyclists.

Worst - The South East and the complete and utter reliance of many people on their car. It's the greatest reflection of our total and complete loss of any focus on the society as a whole and a wholesale acceptance of thatcherite individualism.

Well said sir.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If only. However there is a 14m limit to building the CBD (central business district) now (so in the event of any other major disasters rescue is a lot easier). That limits the options on what buildings can be built.

Brighton or NZ?

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
What I miss: the BBC, devotion to sports teams, a good pub, variety of food (which is so much better than its reputation), sense of humour, the coast

What I don't miss: pointless celebrities, people's willingness to pay far too much for entrance prices etc., queues and traffic jams

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
NZ. After the quakes and a lot of the tall buildings didn't cope to well they decided to completely redo the entire CBD (except about 4 buildings that are taller than the 14m limit). One of the tall buildings had the stairs collapse ('Seismic Gap' On Forsyth Barr Building Stairs Had... | Stuff.co.nz) so I think the 14m comes from the height of the turntable fire engine ladder. Not sure to be honest though (and the 14m may not be accurate but it is about that).

EDIT: Found it- Christchurch rebuild plan revealed - National - NZ Herald News It's 28m or upto 8 storeys. Guess it's not limited to the length of the ladder.

Interesting. It doesn't stop imaginative design though. A lot of the issue, IMHO, is the merging of building and architecture in the process. You need a very thick line between these two disciplines if you're to get great buildings. Sadly, to reduce cost, new builds are often given to under-one-roof "design and build" business who are only interested in the bottom line.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here