Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Living in England

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Best - free (or almost free) healthcare
Worst - overcrowding

Just out of interest, what do you mean by overcrowding being the worst? Because of the effect it has on what? Not a criticism, just interested to know. I can see the issue it causes around lack of affordable housing but that may be just because we don't build enough.

D

Deleted member 18477

Just out of interest, what do you mean by overcrowding being the worst? Because of the effect it has on what? Not a criticism, just interested to know. I can see the issue it causes around lack of affordable housing but that may be just because we don't build enough.

i wasnt the one that said it but he makes a good point about overcrowding... overcrowed trains... overcrowded roads... overcrowded shops... overcrowed pubs... we have too many people in this country for a small country mainly because we just let anyone in! greed is another cause of this to a certain point as developers want to build houses on any land they can get their hands on... thus overcrowding towns. crawley, burgess hill, haywards heath and brighton are all good examples of this now.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's a bit of a myth really, you can see when you're returning to Britain on the plane that a vast majority of our land is country side. You just feel the claustrophobia of 60 million people a lot more when you're living in urban areas.

If you gave me the option of densely populated areas or destruction of the countryside, I know which one I would choose.

Very much so. Flying back from Germany last year over UK and you can see how green it is. Flew over Brighton MArina actually, was lovely.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Worst: Weather - Neither hot or cold, unreliable in nearly all areas except the dampness.

Best: Welfare state

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Best - Southerners

Worst - ................you do the maths.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
i wasnt the one that said it but he makes a good point about overcrowding... overcrowed trains... overcrowded roads... overcrowded shops... overcrowed pubs... we have too many people in this country for a small country mainly because we just let anyone in! greed is another cause of this to a certain point as developers want to build houses on any land they can get their hands on... thus overcrowding towns. crawley, burgess hill, haywards heath and brighton are all good examples of this now.

But is that not because that's where the money is? People choose to live in this particular part of England. England as a whole is not overcrowded, and the Government has talked for years about "rebalancing the economy" which partly means moving wealth to other parts of the country. They've just struggled to make any headway in doing so.

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
Best - The people (There are some wonderful, friendly, welcoming people in this country.
Worst - The people (There are some utterly horrible people here, too)

The point I'm making is that it is society that makes or breaks a place, creates the culture, the laws, the social welfare system etc.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
To quote the immortal bard:

This royal throne of kings, this sceptred isle,
This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,
This other Eden, demi-paradise,
This fortress built by Nature for herself
Against infection and the hand of war,
This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
Which serves it in the office of a wall
Or as a moat defensive to a house,
Against the envy of less happier lands,-
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.

William Shakespeare - King Richard II.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

I came back to Sussex last year for a couple of weeks and I found everything really cramped and too busy. Almost claustrophobic. Too many people in too small a space. But then I had not been back for 8 years and where I live here, you could fit 10 English houses into my garden! So am spoiled somewhat. That was just the overriding impression I got when I was there as I am not used to it. And the roads are so narrow - I cannot believe I used to drive on them! That and the pavement pizzas outside Brighton station were still there!

D

Deleted member 22389

It's a bit of a myth really, you can see when you're returning to Britain on the plane that a vast majority of our land is country side. You just feel the claustrophobia of 60 million people a lot more when you're living in urban areas.

If you gave me the option of densely populated areas or destruction of the countryside, I know which one I would choose.

Dont we need to leave some land for farming. I think we need to build 200k new homes every year for the next 20 years, just to keep up with the demand with the rise in population. Where are theses home going to go, on our green bits.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Best - Brighton and Hove Albion (Going to the Amex)
It the first thing I think of when I have to go a way for any lenghth of time.
Worst - The weather

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I came back to Sussex last year for a couple of weeks and I found everything really cramped and too busy. Almost claustrophobic. Too many people in too small a space. But then I had not been back for 8 years and where I live here, you could fit 10 English houses into my garden! So am spoiled somewhat. That was just the overriding impression I got when I was there as I am not used to it. And the roads are so narrow - I cannot believe I used to drive on them! That and the pavement pizzas outside Brighton station were still there!

Cheers. That makes sense and going back to my points elsewhere I really think it's a South East issue. One of the reasons I've been pondering decamping to Liverpool.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Best: That we are mainly a tolerant and inclusive society where most people have a chance to do good if they are prepared to make the effort

Worst: We are a soft touch for those who can't be bothered. The balance is sliding too far in favour of the benefit culture. Very topical of course. Too much of the 'can't be asked' rather than 'can do' attitude.

D

Deleted member 22389

Cheers. That makes sense and going back to my points elsewhere I really think it's a South East issue. One of the reasons I've been pondering decamping to Liverpool.

Well the South East is seeing a rise in population due to people being pushed out of London. I can only put this down to a shortage of rented accommodation available. But I know a lot of Londoners who have also bought homes down here. They moved because they hate the place now and say it is just overcrowded.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
If you actually embrace English culture it is a fabulous place to live. Country pubs/ale, modern and historic folk music and dance, the good old summer fate, the diverse landscape in such a small land and much more.

The thing I have never been able to get my head around and I absolutely love is the diversity of the English language. You can drive an hour in any direction and everyone talks differently and has different words and sayings. Eh by gum, oh argh me carrots and all that. I recently went to Birmingham and had a meeting with a chap of Asian roots who,s accent was a cross between good old Brum and Pakistan, it had me smirking for days.

Only in England.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here