Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

* Liverpools most FAMOUS fan *

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
Shouldn't we let Our Graham decide?

Will you pick fiery number one, anyone who had a heart can see she's red all over: play your cards right and she might let you take her up the Madejski.

Or will it be chirpy number two, the tubby funnyman who loves to practice his swinging over a weekend, but watch out for him trying to score a hole in one over the back nine.

Or finally tracksuit wearing number three: the Scary across the Mersey...she might wannabe your number one but is she posh enough to be your baby tonight?

Contestants: it's over to you.

Brilliant post Ms Krabappel!

albionite

May 20, 2009

Will you pick fiery number one, anyone who had a heart can see she's red all over: play your cards right and she might let you take her up the Madejski.

Or will it be chirpy number two, the tubby funnyman who loves to practice his swinging over a weekend, but watch out for him trying to score a hole in one over the back nine.

Or finally tracksuit wearing number three: the Scary across the Mersey...she might wannabe your number one but is she posh enough to be your baby tonight?

I'll have number one.......get your hat ready!

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
My vote goes to everyones favourite gameshow host LES DENNIS!!

tumblr_lgshp3whhb1qa0mmoo1_500.jpg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Only?? Shut up Grandad! ;)
John Peel's fame will last for another centuty. Most younguns wont know who Cilla or Tarby are nowadays thank Cod.

I only knew him as a late night DJ on radio 1 who did the death hour spot and was never good enough to be considered for a prime time spot. He was always in the shadow of the likes of Tony Blackburn Johnnie Walker etc. As you say his fame will last for a century so I asked my sons about him the 40 year old had heard of him but didn't rate him very highly said all he ever played was unknown bands, the youngest a mere 36 asked who he played for and when I explained he was a DJ he replied Never heard of him.

As they say each to his own!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Top post. You'd get a rep for that (if we still had one)

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Mike-Myers-Austin-Powers.jpg

Yeah Baby!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I only knew him as a late night DJ on radio 1 who did the death hour spot and was never good enough to be considered for a prime time spot. He was always in the shadow of the likes of Tony Blackburn Johnnie Walker etc. As you say his fame will last for a century so I asked my sons about him the 40 year old had heard of him but didn't rate him very highly said all he ever played was unknown bands, the youngest a mere 36 asked who he played for and when I explained he was a DJ he replied Never heard of him.

... the Culture Correspondent for the Beano writes.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Radio One was always referred to as Radio Mong so to be a DJ that never got offered a spot on a prime listening time is not a very good recommendation.

I am sure that you are aware of prime times as per advertising rates on commercial radio stations TLO.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

As they say each to his own!

As you say each to their own. John Peel did more for quality music that most other Dj's put together. To even suggest he was in the same ball park as Tony Blackburn exposes an ignorance of what the man was all about. Maybe a little research would have been prudent before spouting such ill informed nonsense about someone you (and your sons) clearly have little understanding of.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Radio One was always referred to as Radio Mong so to be a DJ that never got offered a spot on a prime listening time is not a very good recommendation.

I am sure that you are aware of prime times as per advertising rates on commercial radio stations TLO.

Some people hold more appreciation for discovering and championing unknown bands, using their radio presence to promote quality music and taking risks with the music they play. Our cultural heritage is not going to be measured by advert raising revenue and the manufactured shite that goes along with it. It will be celebrated by the musicians that push the envelope and create their own zeitgeist and by those who have the balls to discover, champion and play their music.

That said I would suggest that never being offered, never having to compromise his beliefs and never having to alienate his audience was in fact the highest recommendation of the man. This is of course based on the assumption that he was never offered a primetime show (which i am guessing you don't know either way).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As you say each to their own. John Peel did more for quality music that most other Dj's put together. To even suggest he was in the same ball park as Tony Blackburn exposes an ignorance of what the man was all about. Maybe a little research would have been prudent before spouting such ill informed nonsense about someone you (and your sons) clearly have little understanding of.

That is probably true because he was on the radio at 10.00pm or thereabouts which being a publican I and my children wouldn't have listened to very often . We were brought up on the day time commercial pop music as put out by the likes of Tony Blackburn.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My vote goes to everyones favourite gameshow host LES DENNIS!!

tumblr_lgshp3whhb1qa0mmoo1_500.jpg

Boardman, Tarby, Ken Dodd, Freddie Starr and now Les Dennis: I tell you what, anyone who says Scousers aren't naturally the funniest people on earth is having a LAUGH.

Can we get Les along on Wednesday? I'd love to hear his impression of Mavis from Coronation Street again.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
That is probably true because he was on the radio at 10.00pm or thereabouts which being a publican I and my children wouldn't have listened to very often . We were brought up on the day time commercial pop music as put out by the likes of Tony Blackburn.

Then you missed out on some very special music. And are maybe not in the best position to comment on the relative success or failure of John Peel.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

And totally irrelevant to your argument.

You're claiming to tout his worth because he had a show at 10pm? Jesus. :facepalm:

John Peel did far more culturally than all other Radio One DJs put together. The fact that you choose to live in ignorant bliss of what he did says far more about you that it does about him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here