Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
[Tweet]1383801772381138948[/tweet]

That's the only option the leagues and UEFA have.
It will take some balls for the 12 clubs to continue with that threat hanging over them.

It will be interesting to see how the fans of the 12 clubs react. I would guess that there will be mass support to remain in their domestic leagues with the traditional fixtures that have been happening for years and years.

I will be very surprised if this gets any serious traction. It's a massive misjudgement from the corporations and nations that own the clubs.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I agree, however I’d also argue that as the power 6 get richer and richer who is going to shell out a subscription to watch them smash everyone everyweek.

This is a league for worldwide TV subscriptions not for the paying fans of these clubs.
They will still need local fans for a crowd.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It will be interesting to see how the fans of the 12 clubs react. I would guess that there will be mass support to remain in their domestic leagues with the traditional fixtures that have been happening for years and years.

I agree. I think there will be widespread opposition.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Gary Neville currently saying on sky, it's scandalous in the current climate and that all the clubs that have signed up to it should be ashamed. Nice one.

He also added that all 6 teams in England should be deducted 6 points this season.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Most of these ‘clubs’ fan base are armchair supporters

The winners out of this will be Oldham/Bolton/Tranmere/QPR/Leyton Orient.

People will still want to support a team in the proper sense of the word week in and week out

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
That's the only option the leagues and UEFA have.
It will take some balls for the 12 clubs to continue with that threat hanging over them.

I will be very surprised if this gets any serious traction. It's a massive misjudgement from the corporations and nations that own the clubs.

It could also get worse.

Which Governing Body would hold " Players Registrations " ?

Players joining those Clubs could find themselves ostricised from all other organisations. And when they Leave or are Discarded by them. They could find themselves banned from playing for any other Club out with that group.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
and if they do go, they should be banned from ever returning to their domestic leagues. once out, stay out even if that led to a demise

I also believe that any players that play in the breakaway league are banned from international football while playing in the breakaway league, and are also banned from playing for any team outside of the breakaway league for a period of 5 years from the date their contract ends for a team in the breakaway league,

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Let them go. Kick them out of their domestic leagues. Carry on with the domestic leagues and European competitions. Move the 12 clubs to different cities around the world and the army of Asians, Africans and plastics can have a local team to support. The rest of us can get on with our leagues and our clubs.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Given Arsenal's utter destruction of Fulham today, you can see why they want the Super League.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Most of these ‘clubs’ fan base are armchair supporters

The winners out of this will be Oldham/Bolton/Tranmere/QPR/Leyton Orient.

People will still want to support a team in the proper sense of the word week in and week out
Actually I think we will just see an FC City of Manchester, AFC Arsenal etc spawned and those multi million pound stadiums owned by the existing organisations will be half full inside five years.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I would actually find the Premier League very refreshing to strip out the plastic clubs and fans. Imagine that, just fans supporting their home and local clubs. How football started.

They should be careful what they wish for.

This is how I feel as well. Genuinely excited about a premier league without the ‘big 6’. We could win it! Better than dreaming of maybe squeeking 10th...

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Actually I think we will just see an FC City of Manchester, AFC Arsenal etc spawned and those multi million pound stadiums owned by the existing organisations will be half full inside five years.

I think and hope your right.

This is actually a golden opportunity to press the reset button on football finances and rid the game of the greedy money driven elements.

The reason the PL is the most watched league is because of its competitive nature.... if the euro greed league comes into reality then the competitiveness will disappear anyway. So bite the bullet... short term pain for long term gain for the game.

Let fans be footballs biggest stakeholder again rather than the CEO and billionaire owners who only care about cash.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s hilarious isn’t it.

Arsenal are now a mid table club. They’ll likely be relegated from a “Super League”.

And isn’t funny how Man City are always in these things. Until recent history they were a yo-yo team in the Premier League.

Arsenal are a million miles away from getting their hands on CL loot.

Hence their great interest.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Liverpool, Arsenal and Man United have American owners who also have US franchises.
Man City are owned by an Arab nation, Chelsea a Russian oligarch and Spurs by a billionaire tax exile.

I reckon Abrovamich is probably the only football fan out of that lot but would be fearful of missing out.

Real Madrid, Barcelona, Inter Milan are all in financial sh!t and it's likely the other 9 also have some very large underlying financial problems.

It's all about getting out of debt and guaranteeing future income.
Greed, greed, greed.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
To some players, winning the world cup for your country is a big thing. National pride is also massive. If FIFA came out and said no to these players playing at the world cup, all of a sudden, a lot of players may find themselves wanting to leave these clubs. Due to the terms of the contracts changing, they could easily just walk out of those clubs.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think and hope your right.

This is actually a golden opportunity to press the reset button on football finances and rid the game of the greedy money driven elements.

The reason the PL is the most watched league is because of its competitive nature.... if the euro greed league comes into reality then the competitiveness will disappear anyway. So bite the bullet... short term pain for long term gain for the game.

Let fans be footballs biggest stakeholder again rather than the CEO and billionaire owners who only care about cash.

Nice sentiments.

But with or without a breakaway, the likes of West ham, Everton and Villa will still spend colossal sums over and above true club income:
(a) With no breakaway, to try and squeeze into the top 6 or 4; or
(b) With a breakaway, to win everything in sight and blast the Tony Bloom's of this world out of the water on player spending.

Manure, Liverpool and Arsenal don't contrive related-party sponsors, pre pandemic they were all profitable.

The clubs taking the p on finance are many and spread across the top two divisions, including Everton, Derby, Massive and Villa. They won't stop and their devious owners will never relinquish power to other 'stakeholders'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here