Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It isn't FIFA backed, FIFA are opposed to it.

how long will they stick to that if the clubs and players followed through? it wouldnt be a terrible outcome to cause both UEFA and FIFA to implode, they are no friends of football fans.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I also believe that any players that play in the breakaway league are banned from international football while playing in the breakaway league, and are also banned from playing for any team outside of the breakaway league for a period of 5 years from the date their contract ends for a team in the breakaway league,

Quite. The teams involved, ostracised by mainstream football, would become like the Harlem Globetrotters, unable to buy and sell galacticos on a seaon by season basis because what player would play for a club knowing they would never be allowed to work in football again once their circus contract ended. So they would soon end up stuck with aging 'stars'.

Current players could be required to sign a deal with FIFA that meant a heavy fine for any player signing for a pirate club.

I would like to see the six clubs given a massive points deduction for even mooting this. I'm sure the other EPL clubs would vote for it. I think 30 points would be about right.

I can't see this coming to fruition. In the end there won't be a public appetite for pretend football.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Agree there mate.

National associations could kaibosh this by saying that no player from a team outside their jurisdiction and league system would be eligible for international duty.

It's now up to Liverpool and Man U fans to be heaping pressure on their clubs. They won't be though

No, no... don't heap pressure...let them go!!! Can we have our football back please?👍

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Hats off to the German clubs.
A requirement for all clubs to be at least 51% fan owned.
And now refusing to join the greedy bast@rds from England, Italy and Spain in their breakaway.

Total admiration for the way the Germans run their football.

I can't see the breakaway happening. But then again I was convinced Brexit couldn't happen and Trump could never be elected.

And PSG too who apparently aren’t keen on abandoning their league. Some super league. Without PSG or Bayern.

Bayern have got far more history than Man City as well.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I also believe that any players that play in the breakaway league are banned from international football while playing in the breakaway league, and are also banned from playing for any team outside of the breakaway league for a period of 5 years from the date their contract ends for a team in the breakaway league,

It will be far more onerous. Mainstream football can easily give life bans for pirates. If your missus left you and shacked up with someone new, and popped out a couple of kids, would you have her back if her new partner died or left her? Well, you might, but you'd hardly be obliged to do so.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
In case anyone’s not seen Gaz’s take. Totally agree with him, enough’s enough. Relegate them or deduct points. We have clubs going out of business. Putting staff on furlough and they’re having meetings during a pandemic to try and greed more money out the game.

And Spurs and Arsenal aren’t even in the Champions League, yet they feel they have a divine right to break away. Relegate them. Keep Fulham and West Brom up.

[tweet]1383830593885011974[/tweet]

[tweet]1383832654462677001[/tweet]

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Seems like such a gamble for these clubs. They've used the threat of a super league for so long now to get European competitions shaped to their advantage.

If they now choose to play that trump card instead of threaten to play it what happens if things don't go to plan? They can only play this card once. If they play it, and it fails, then what leverage will they have in future?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
This is all academic. The league is a backwater without Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
With FIFA now wading in it looks like the end of it.

There should be no concessions made as a result though. NONE.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Quite. The teams involved, ostracised by mainstream football, would become like the Harlem Globetrotters, unable to buy and sell galacticos on a seaon by season basis because what player would play for a club knowing they would never be allowed to work in football again once their circus contract ended. So they would soon end up stuck with aging 'stars'.

Current players could be required to sign a deal with FIFA that meant a heavy fine for any player signing for a pirate club.

I would like to see the six clubs given a massive points deduction for even mooting this. I'm sure the other EPL clubs would vote for it. I think 30 points would be about right.

I can't see this coming to fruition. In the end there won't be a public appetite for pretend football.

A lot would depend on how much that circus contract was worth!!!

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
In one form of another this will go through. The top six (who or whatever that means) have been moaning that they should be receiving more funds than the rest of the division the only way to achieve this is to break away and set up your own league with a big backer with vast sums of cash like J P Morgan.
To think the club's care about the fans is a pipedream, they will still be playing home games and how many fans attend away games, even little old Brighton moan about away ticket allocations.
The top six need more cash to attract the best players and become more competitive in European competitions where the real cash is.
Sad but inevitable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here