Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The sad thing is genuine fans of these 5 clubs may take the same stance as you, but the clubs don't care as long as there are enough day trippers and the TV money keeps rolling in.

Clearly it’s never enough, changes like additional teams in the Champions league and Europa league have improved them- so whilst it’s for finically motivated reasons most people have taken enjoyment from it.

This just kills domestic leagues and cups completely.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
BBC 5 Live reporting that there has been an advance in plans for a 12 club breakaway league, not involving teams from Germany or France.
It is thought to include six clubs from England, plus Italian and Spanish clubs.

The Italian league are having an emergency meeting this afternoon.
A possible announcement could be made this evening according to the report.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Five English clubs are among 11 European teams who have signed up to a breakaway Super League in an extraordinary development on the eve of Uefa’s announcement of a new Champions League format.

Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur have signed up to the breakaway plan with only Manchester City among the Big Six yet to do so, sources with knowledge of the development have told*The Times.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...y-league-in-challenge-to-uefa-plans-xks8jdxtm

What's the criteria for being able to sign up ?

I mean. Arsenal are shite and they have signed up. What's that all about ? Unless Owners and Fans " being up their own arse " is a qualification for signing up to it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Talk Man City, Germany & French teams aren’t interested. I’d say **** those that sign up, players can’t play under UEFA/FIFA and let them get into it.

ITV digital written all over it

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It’s hilarious isn’t it.

Arsenal are now a mid table club. They’ll likely be relegated from a “Super League”.

And isn’t funny how Man City are always in these things. Until recent history they were a yo-yo team in the Premier League.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
If they want to go and play in another league then good luck to them.

Will end in tears, as like Paul Barber said, one of these teams is going to finish bottom and the worldwide fans won’t like that

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
The 12 clubs supporting the European Super League, as it stands, are: Manchester United, Liverpool, Manchester City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, FC Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Inter Milan, AC Milan and Juventus.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I would actually find the Premier League very refreshing to strip out the plastic clubs and fans. Imagine that, just fans supporting their home and local clubs. How football started.

They should be careful what they wish for.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Massive power grab.

If UEFA and FIFA have the balls stick to saying all players would be banned from international competition it could add an interesting twist.

Those saying the PL will be nothing without those power 6 aren’t seeing how even more rich the power 6 will become...... top places will be a closed shop and end a large amount of interest in the PL anyway.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
This is all going to end in tears. Out of the 12 clubs, who would stand for being in the relegation positions? Who would stand for losing every other week? Certainly not the fans. Owners getting greedy again, or driven on by a promise from the broadcasting companies?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Massive power grab.

If UEFA and FIFA have the balls stick to saying all players would be banned from international competition it could add an interesting twist.

Those saying the PL will be nothing without those power 6 aren’t seeing how even more rich the power 6 will become...... top places will be a closed shop and end a large amount of interest in the PL anyway.
But millions of other fans will not shell out for a TV subscription for this kind of league. I would certainly not be interested. And local fans of those clubs will probably oppose it if it means an end to domestic football.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
But millions of other fans will not shell out for a TV subscription for this kind of league. I would certainly not be interested. And local fans of those clubs will probably oppose it if it means an end to domestic football.

I agree, however I’d also argue that as the power 6 get richer and richer who is going to shell out a subscription to watch them smash everyone everyweek.

This is a league for worldwide TV subscriptions not for the paying fans of these clubs.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
All rather interesting. Players have a short shelf life so the prospect of even a season with no competition to play in is a significant sanction. Clubs less so. They’ve built up serious brand loyalty over the years and could probably ride out a storm of several seasons. See how Juventus and Rangers have made their way back from punishments that appeared apocalyptic at first glance.

I honestly wouldn’t care two hoots if they left. I don’t watch Champions’ League football and have even dispensed with the national team in recent years, as neither seem to represent anything I would care about. I appreciate that there are much wider implications for the game as a whole but my gut instinct is they can continue fighting like cats in a sack so long as I’ve still got the Albion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here