Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Life on Mars - Ending theory's?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Les Biehn said:
:lolol: I think the shrooms had been doing the rounds that day. Still I have to say the fact that the program opens up debate is one of the reasons I liked it.

Best thing on TV for yonks, original, thought provoking and entertaining so unlike the BBC, even the revelation that M.A.R.S. is the codename for the secret op he was supposedly on, and the realization that in the now he was on Hyde Ward, quality stuff.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Everyone spot all the tongue in cheeks there? Last night was the reason why they can't keep going with this series, there was far too much conjecture about how to bring him back. 2006 always existed, 1973 was/is a dream, but in the fantastic style of tv, thats where his heart was so, he never left.

The show was more about 1973 than anything else, finishing on a high was the only way out.

Did that car reach its reserve on ebay?

MOWTCHOPS

Banned
Feb 17, 2007
Bevendean Hillbilly said:
Best thing on TV for yonks, original, thought provoking and entertaining so unlike the BBC, even the revelation that M.A.R.S. is the codename for the secret op he was supposedly on, and the realization that in the now he was on Hyde Ward, quality stuff.

did you notice that the Hyde phone number he had scribbled down was his room number in the hospital as well !!!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
MOWTCHOPS said:
did you notice that the Hyde phone number he had scribbled down was his room number in the hospital as well !!!

No, no I didn't, but I like it.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
BUTTERBALL said:
We didn't actually see him kill himself at the end, just jump. He could have jumped onto another building or had a soft landing, so they have obviously left the plot open.

??? he jumped onto another building and right into 1973?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I was disappointed.
He moved back to a world he invented, that was easier to flee to and control than normal life was. He loved a woman he made up, obedient and motherly. The delusion of his fall was more prominent than any element of a life we didn't really know much of. So his choice was delusional and blind and misbegotten for us too.
It should have been a two-parter. We should have had our eyes opened to parts of his life we were yet to see.

My body was still tense in moments throughout as a final episode is always nervewracking, like the last 24 pages in a book. Overall, a very good series.

Kenhead said:
Yep, but it is offical that John Simms will be playing the part of Mr. Saxon, whoever he is. Also the name has already cropt up a few times in the series abit like bad wolf and torchwood.

He'll definitely be playing Saxon but I think I read somewhere the Doctor realises who he is when Saxon dies and regenerates... therefore not definite Simm is playing the Master?

Hope he is though, he'd be wicked.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Meade's_Ball said:
I was disappointed.
He moved back to a world he invented, that was easier to flee to and control than normal life was. He loved a woman he made up, obedient and motherly.
And of course, she had a fat arse.

I go along with the in 2007 he was bored with the mundane police procedure and technicalities. He was a bureaucrat - a nobody. Whilst his operation had been successful? He was still ill, feeling no pain in his hand. No one in 1973 could predict all the future events and characters.

In 1973 he was someone, he could punch out criminals, he was bossing his boss and lived the life if Jack Reagan. He also pulled the only bird in the programme and even his mum fancied him.

He had no life to live and ended it.

The girl in the red dress could come from the, Donald Sutherland horror film, "Don't look now" where his daughter drowns at the beginning of the film wearing a red dress, and then this is seen across Rome, whilst he is on holiday. Does she eventually kill her dad there?

Plus the girl also had resemblance to the Amityville House horror girl.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
London Calling said:
The girl in the red dress could come from the, Donald Sutherland horror film, "Don't look now"...

Girls in red are quite a popular "Twilight Zone" sort of cinematic symbol. In Schindlers List, for example, the only colour in the film (apart from the very end which was set in the present time) was provided by the small girl in a red coat.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Kenhead said:
Yep, but it is offical that John Simms will be playing the part of Mr. Saxon, whoever he is. Also the name has already cropt up a few times in the series abit like bad wolf and torchwood.

**geek alert**

Its not confirmed he will actually play Mister Saxon, but a very good bet that he will be. He has been confirmed as starring in the last 2 episodes however.

Mister Saxon is almost definitely the master coz its an anagram of Master no six. Because to date whoever plays him will be the 6th actor....

**cough** Sam Tyler is also an anagram of Masterly.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Sonic said:
I'm undecided on what it meant too. Not what I was expecting, and not sure I'm too happy with it as an ending. That apparently is the end though.

There is a spin off series called 'Ashes To Ashes' coming next year, which is about Gene Hunt in the 80's. I kid you not, search the net and you'll see I'm right.

Yes they have said it will be Gene Hunt and a female "police profiler" from 2007 who gets kidnapped, tries to escape, has an accident and wakes up in the 1980's.

John Simm's wife has apparently just had a baby so he couldnt commit to 6 months filming so he wont be in it.

I thought it was a great ending, you have to decide for yourself what you think was really happening, great stuff!

Will they come up with a better line than "It’s 1973. Almost dinner time. I'm having hoops. "

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Slightly confused about the whole thing.

He was in a coma at first, so technically still alive in the present but his mind was in 1973.

When he returned to 1973 he was dead in the present.

How
???

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I dont think he was actually dead they just said on the radio "we are losing him"

Maybe he died and went to (his version) of heaven?

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
**geek alert**

Mister Saxon is almost definitely the master coz its an anagram of Master no six. Because to date whoever plays him will be the 6th actor....

There's already been 6:

Roger Delgado
Peter Pratt
Geoffrey Beevers
Anthony Ainley
Gordon Tipple
Eric Roberts

But i do agree that Saxon does have something to do with The Master as the show has used anagrams in the past to hide hes identity.

MOWTCHOPS

Banned
Feb 17, 2007
26352.jpg

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
The great theme tune at the start reminds me of a programme in the 70's set in Birmingham and lots of drug dealings. pretty hard hitting at the time, can anybody remember what it was called?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Kenhead said:

Gordon Tipple

That really doesnt count Ken!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Otherwise you could go down the route of people who played Hartnells hand or something counting as actors to have played the Doctor!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here