Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Life on Mars - Ending theory's?

MOWTCHOPS

Banned
Feb 17, 2007
coventrygull said:
But wasn't the future the fantasy and 1973 was real

Yes thats pretty much what it was ALL about ...

I don't for one minute think that this is the last were see of Life On Marrs either !!!

great stuff ..

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
MOWTCHOPS said:

I don't for one minute think that this is the last were see of Life On Marrs either !!!

great stuff ..

Spin off cop series then. As long as it dosen't have that little girl in it. She scared me :lolol:

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
coventrygull said:
He isn't on a coma. He really is in 1973. I think :D

Erm, the radio at the end was doctors trying to get him back again. But he wasn't interested. So I'm guessing he's in his 2007 coma, but doesn't wanna go back. I'm confused, I give up.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
MOWTCHOPS said:

great stuff ..

I think the present was reality but 1973 felt more real to him because he was in love and felt like he was actually making a difference.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
ginadim said:
Erm, the radio at the end was doctors trying to get him back again. But he wasn't interested. So I'm guessing he's in his 2007 coma, but doesn't wanna go back. I'm confused, I give up.

No that was from his previous accident. I think. Oh I don't know better than LOST anyway:D

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
andybaha said:
Anyone know who was singing Over The Rainbow towards the end of the show.

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. Hawiian I think, dead also I think.

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
I'm undecided on what it meant too. Not what I was expecting, and not sure I'm too happy with it as an ending. That apparently is the end though.

There is a spin off series called 'Ashes To Ashes' coming next year, which is about Gene Hunt in the 80's. I kid you not, search the net and you'll see I'm right.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Les Biehn said:
I think the present was reality but 1973 felt more real to him because he was in love and felt like he was actually making a difference.

yea that's it i think.

he really must have been from the present because the depiction of 2006 was far too accurate and he was quoting Robocop etc.

Mind you, you could say the present was a fantasy one because the depiction of the police was very idealistic and PC. In reality i'm sure there's a few more Gene Hunts in the force than Sam Tylers!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
totally set up for another series if they want it. Very dissapointing end as far as I'm concerned, but, hey ho, it means there will be something decent on the beeb in the next couple of years.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
We didn't actually see him kill himself at the end, just jump. He could have jumped onto another building or had a soft landing, so they have obviously left the plot open.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
BUTTERBALL said:
We didn't actually see him kill himself at the end, just jump. He could have jumped onto another building or had a soft landing, so they have obviously left the plot open.

Perhaps he flew away to 1973?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I thought it was an incredibly clever ending with the viewer being wrong footed all the time, is 1973 real, or is he really in a coma in 2006?
The realisation that he can't feel it when he cuts his finger after he wakes up in the present, in my opinion, means that he was not really alive in the present day but was in limbo, he has then to commit "suicide" in 2006 to get back to the 1970's. Like Nelson the Barman said "You know you're not alive when you can't feel anything"

The little girl is obviously symbolic of death she came for him to bring him "back" to 2006 which I think is in fact the afterlife.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I thought the ending was superb. The fact people are debating it only goes to show how brilliant and thought provoking it was.

I totally agree with Les Biehn;

Originally posted by Les Biehn

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Bevendean Hillbilly said:

The little girl is obviously symbolic of death she came for him to bring him "back" to 2006 which I think is in fact the afterlife.

Thats quite interesting, I never thought of that.

However she could be seen as representative of the fantasy, she appears from the TV afterall. You could say she is representative of life, of feeling alive. Her youth would suggest this.

Sort of a twisted Alice in wonderland, inviting him through the looking glass.

Last edited:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Les Biehn said:
Thats quite interesting, I never thought of that.

However she could be seen as representative of the fantasy, she appears from the TV afterall. You could say she is representative of life, of feeling alive. Her youth would suggest this.

Sort of a twisted Alice in wonderland, inviting him through the looking glass.

Hadn't thought of that either Les, I think you have a point, she is obviously Alice, indicating he has gone through the glass to another reality where nothing is as it seems. Excellent observation that.

I do think that her expressionless face and sinister aura point towards a nemesis type of figure tho, but then again I need to get out more.

They must have been caned when they scripted that episode

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Bevendean Hillbilly said:
Hadn't thought of that either Les, I think you have a point, she is obviously Alice, indicating he has gone through the glass to another reality where nothing is as it seems. Excellent observation that.

I do think that her expressionless face and sinister aura point towards a nemesis type of figure tho, but then again I need to get out more.

They must have been caned when they scripted that episode

:lolol: I think the shrooms had been doing the rounds that day. Still I have to say the fact that the program opens up debate is one of the reasons I liked it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here