Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

lib dems as good as gone

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Of course it is. These low earners are the ones who will be affected the most. The people earning low incomes are either part time or unskilled, and surely it is cheaper for the country to have these people in work but paying neglible tax than any other scenario. Yes, I accept the average family will have to pay a little for this, BUT we all might have paid that low earner in dole money instead. I don't think anyone would get hit "hard" by this at all.

And I'm fairly sure that if the Tories had got in, and implemented their disgraceful inheritance tax threshold increase, you wouldn't have been talking about how hard the average family would have been hit to pay for that particular change.

I do not think that it is "fair" for a cleaner who only works a few hours a day to be able to take home every penny that they earn, and possibly only be doing the job for bingo money, with hubby supporting the household, and someone who works long hours at the national minimum wage to support their family, is paying tax.

thirpo

May 8, 2010
Ashington
100% Agree!

:thumbsup: With a name like Nick Clegg, he sounds like carpet traveling salesman, one thing things for sure he's sold his party up the road. Lets hope cameron can sort this Island out, you know the one that used to be called Great Britain!! Lets put the Great back in out once proud nation.
This coalition has efectively destroyed the lib dems, they have been swallowed up by the conservatives.

-if this government is a success the tories will claim the credit and all lib dem seats will be swallowed up by tories.

-alternativley if it fails then you will see unequivacal blame of the lib dems for allowing it to happen and labour will swallow up thier seats

-clegg is a tory in all but name, they have actually taken too many seats in government and the will be no distinguishing between the two parties.

-The lib dems have traditionally placed themselves as the centre left tory alternative, by entering into a formal coalition they have single handedly isolated their core vote.

-Either way clegg signed his parties last rites last night, wont get more tha 20 seats in the south west at any future election.

- they coped out on PR and clegg will go down in history as the leader that killed his own party

:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
In that case they should all vote Labour and be honest with themselves. In voting Lb-dem, it is either a wasted vote that obtains no power, or a vote that will only ever count if they do a deal with Labour as the only acceptable partner.

I really thought the Lib Dems would have had more common ground with Labour than with the Conservatives.

That's why I think this coalition won't last, simply because the parties have major differences over policy. To an extent I thought the Lib Dems spending plans made economic sense, but the Conservative one's just seemed to contradict everything the Lib Dems proposed.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The state spends around £700 billion a year apparently, so £6 billion is less than 1% so how does that affect "front line" services! Any fool could save 1%off their outgoings, even a politician! It's really little more than you or I having a couple of pints less each week.
I agree with what you say, but in reality I think it'll simply mean smaller budgets passed down to various departments. I hope you're right about unelected quangos though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I do not think that it is "fair" for a cleaner who only works a few hours a day to be able to take home every penny that they earn, and possibly only be doing the job for bingo money, with hubby supporting the household, and someone who works long hours at the national minimum wage to support their family, is paying tax.
But the person working long hours at national minimum wage will benefit too, as the first 10k will be tax free. So you see, perfectly fair. :thumbsup:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
But the person working long hours at national minimum wage will benefit too, as the first 10k will be tax free. So you see, perfectly fair. :thumbsup:

We will have to see how the mechanics work. It depends how much the new tax rate becomes. I suspect you may be right about the person on minimum wage, if he does not do masses of overtime. However, someone on a better, but still modest, wage could still easily be hit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here