Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

lib dems as good as gone

Shanker45

Jan 19, 2010
East Preston,West Sussex
This coalition has efectively destroyed the lib dems, they have been swallowed up by the conservatives.

-if this government is a success the tories will claim the credit and all lib dem seats will be swallowed up by tories.

-alternativley if it fails then you will see unequivacal blame of the lib dems for allowing it to happen and labour will swallow up thier seats

-clegg is a tory in all but name, they have actually taken too many seats in government and the will be no distinguishing between the two parties.

-The lib dems have traditionally placed themselves as the centre left tory alternative, by entering into a formal coalition they have single handedly isolated their core vote.

-Either way clegg signed his parties last rites last night, wont get more tha 20 seats in the south west at any future election.

- they coped out on PR and clegg will go down in history as the leader that killed his own party

:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

What a load of tosh!

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Or 26 other places throughout Europe.

What is your point with this assertion? What does it have to do with the Lib Dems?

Labour supporters should stop bleating about this coalition, likewise you should stop deriding the electorate of Brighton Pavilion for voting for a party you do not agree with.

I am totally embarrased that the town I was born and raised in has voted for a crank as MP. The Greens are a pathetic bunch of tree huggers who do not live in the real world.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Wait, wait: they've announced another two big cabinet jobs in the "coalition"...and - what?!?! - unbelievably, it's Tories for them both: Theresa May at the home office and Ken Clarke as justice minister...

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
Coalitions are standard in many countries. If the libdems can cap tory extremes, push through some of their own better policies and help provide a fairer form of government in the next 5 years then how can this be a bad thing for the people of this country?
If a tory minority government had decide to push for office we would not have already seen the following "concessions" -
a referendum on AV
removal of income tax for those earning less than £10k
reform of house of lords to an elected house, via PR
further scrutiny of trident
dropping of the inheritance tax exemptions proposed
commitment to reinvest some of the savings to be made in business

As a voter I consider all of these things will lead to a fairer society and could only have occurred with the lib dems on the inside rather than the outside of this current government.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I am totally embarrased that the town I was born and raised in has voted for a crank as MP. The Greens are a pathetic bunch of tree huggers who do not live in the real world.

Then move away. She is not a crank, she is a politician who believes primarily in an issue you do not. Grow up.

ps I was born and raised here too, not that it has anything to do with it.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Coalitions are standard in many countries. If the libdems can cap tory extremes, push through some of their own better policies and help provide a fairer form of government in the next 5 years then how can this be a bad thing for the people of this country?
If a tory minority government had decide to push for office we would not have already seen the following "concessions" -
a referendum on AV

As a voter I consider all of these things will lead to a fairer society and could only have occurred with the lib dems on the inside rather than the outside of this current government.

THIS. Surely the fact that they're now influencing Government, from the inside, means that they're now far more worth voting for than they ever have been before?

Shanker45

Jan 19, 2010
East Preston,West Sussex
a referendum on AV

:thumbsup:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Then move away. She is not a crank, she is a politician who believes primarily in an issue you do not. Grow up.

ps I was born and raised here too, not that it has anything to do with it.

Oh I can assure you I moved away a long time ago, and would never return. My only contact is now the Albion.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Conservatives and Lib Dems are poles apart.

Clegg promised economic stability by ditching the Trident replacement and tax reforms to make the richest pay more - he has now capitulated, and yet Vince Cable is being touted for Chancellor of the Exchequer.

Lib Dems are Pro-European, Conservatives are Euro-Sceptic.

The Conservatives have no viable economic policy to reduce the economic deficit that I can see. Their election broadcasts just seemed to be a load of blather about people becoming 'more involved in running the Country' and 'mending broken Britain'.

Yeah ok then Dave, but like HOW exactly ?

The words ' abject farce ' and ' sellout ' come immediately to my mind here. Combined with a recession that's likely to become a lot worse unless the Tories start raising taxes.

I'd give this coalition 6 months at most.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A lot of scepticism on this thread.

I think many people underestimate the core Lib Dem vote. The third way is something of a cause to many millions and to vote either Tory or Labour is unthinkable; here, class comes into play because - rightly or wrongly - the fact remains an Eton toff is in No. 10 while the unions will get their 1/3rd share of the vote in electing the next Labour leader.

Also, gone are the days when the Hislops, Mertons, Paxmans et al patronisingly dismiss Lib Dem chances of power as unrealistic.

Yes, the coalition does have the potential to go badly wrong for the Lib Dems, but I believe the majority of adults in this country are centre-left, so they'll be looking for the Lib Dems to moderate Tory policy. If they can do this they will have the credibility they crave, AND it will be that much harder for the Tories to take votes away from them in 2015.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes, the coalition does have the potential to go badly wrong for the Lib Dems, but I believe the majority of adults in this country are centre-left, so they'll be looking for the Lib Dems to moderate Tory policy. If they can do this they will have the credibility they crave, AND it will be that much harder for the Tories to take votes away from them in 2015.
Spot on.

Plus any further election campaign won't be dogged by that tired Tory mantra "a vote for the Lib Dems is a vote for Labour". I guess Labour might try to use it, but that would look lame after they had tried to stitch up a coalition to keep the Tories out themselves...

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The LibDems are an amalgamation of the Liberals and SDP , I expect them to fracture with the SDP element converting back to Labour.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
The LibDems are an amalgamation of the Liberals and SDP , I expect them to fracture with the SDP element converting back to Labour.

Why would they wish to do that? They now have more power than they could have ever expected to obtain. Or maybe it is like the Dick Knight cronies amongst our fans who appeared to revel in being fans of a homeless football team, but are less than happy with Tony Bloom investing and turning us back into a proper football club again, with a young manager who will not be held to ransome by any player?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Oh really? So making £6billion pounds of spending cuts from our bloated public sector in this year will not help? :ohmy:
You wait. If you think they will find £6 billion by sacking middle management, and reducing the number of paperclip delieveries to Whitehall, you're very much mistaken.

Instead we are going to see school and NHS budgets slashed in the name of "prudence". I find it unbelieveable that anyone could vote for a party that advocates this while at the same time promising to raise the inheritance tax threshold to £1 million. Quite unbelievable. :nono:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You wait. If you think they will find £6 billion by sacking middle management, and reducing the number of paperclip delieveries to Whitehall, you're very much mistaken.

Instead we are going to see school and NHS budgets slashed in the name of "prudence". I find it unbelieveable that anyone could vote for a party that advocates this while at the same time promising to raise the inheritance tax threshold to £1 million. Quite unbelievable. :nono:

It is SO depressing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here