Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lib Dem Conference, Brighton

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
We need to spread the word. Mention it every day to someone. Talk to people about how LDC are treating people of Sussex. Word of mouth is one of the biggest methods.

So far roughly over 1200 people have viewed this thread, if everyone does this we'll get the message across loud and clear.

We're coming for you! Together we will win!

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Yes -- and Paddy Pantsdown was rather aggrieved that they were on the front of the Argus and he wasn't. So much so, in fact, that he tried to walk out of the Haagen Dazs cafe at the Odeon without paying for his ice cream. But that's another story, really.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Hatterlovesbrighton said:
getting bar and restaurant owners onside as well would make a hell of a difference. Party conferences are always big piss ups and if the delegates aren't welcome in the bars and pubs of brighton they'll be well pissed off with their Lewes counterparts.

I think most bar and resteraunt owners will be concerned about profit than Falmer and won't do anything to harm their own trade.

We need to deface some proper Lib Dem posters to say UNLiberal UNDemocratic - Anti Sport

*I'm not sure unliberal is actually a word, but you get the point.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
How about a HUGE banner on the downs that can be seen as you drive in on the A23. Something like Illiberal Undemocrats not welcome in Brighton.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
To the tune of that classic Billy Connolly song "Wellies"

If it wasnae for De Vecci, where would we be?
We'd be in our stadium and not division three
For you can have your Glyndebourne, in your AONB
So why not just let us have a stadium?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
80's Seagull said:
I think most bar and resteraunt owners will be concerned about profit than Falmer and won't do anything to harm their own trade.
Sadly I agree. However, Donatellos, being fine upstanding sponsors as well as supporters may be persuaded to have a big sign in their window saying something like: "THIS IS A COMMUNITY RESTAURANT THAT CARES ABOUT THE PEOPLE OF SUSSEX, THEREFORE LIB-DEMS ARE NOT WELCOME HERE!" No other explanation, let the non-Lewes delegates ask some questions to work out why they're so unpopular. It's in quite a prominent place and it's always packed anyway so they won't lose any custom, if it's reported right it will even be a bit of freee publicity for them.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My personal feeling is that the whole march thing has been done to death.

We might struggle to get enough Albion fans to make it worthwhile- march fatigue is setting in, hence I think we need to try another option.

A permanent protest outside the centre- like a vigil- would be better, as long as we could maintain some numbers all day, it would allow people to turn up when they could/wanted to and join in, rather than the logistics involved of marching yet again. And if anyone wants to bring a tent and camp on the prom outside the Brighton Centre for the week, so much the better

:lolol:

Part of the reason for this is that journalists covering the conferences ALWAYS like to do their outside broadcasts from the top of the Centre, or from a balcony at the Grand, in order to capture the seaside backdrop. Imagine how annoying it would be for the LD party to have every broadcast featuring groups of Albion fans with "LibDems Not Welcome Here" and "Get Out Of Brighton" banners in the background? If we had an even larger banner, it could be hung from either of the piers....

And the strategic placing of groups of fans around the city- outside the car parks, at the bottom of the A23 complete with large banners for a few days, would ensure they couldn't miss the point.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I don't think march fatigue has set in. I think upbeat, happy clappy marches have, but I think this is a pretty angry action, which will not have Des and co at the front.

I think its time for direct action. I'm not talking about breaking the law, but showing our true emotions about that Liberal Council that it trying to shut down our club.

I'm pissed off and I know loads of others that are too and would be more than happy to turn out to show the sandall wearers what we think of them.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Banners/Signs, in/out of Brighton would be good. (A23 etc)

The ones in the bad old days were brilliant.

As earlier posters have said, Traders/Taxis etc will look after themselves, as Party Conference time means money, however it would be brilliant if just a few traders were to put 'Lib Dem - not welcome' signs up.

Perhaps we could just put them up ourselves - lamp posts etc - just to get the delegates asking questions about why they are so unpopular.

Finally, that to**er Ming Campbell's advertising for Talksport at the moment saying how he'll be listening on their channel to the WC - what a F**king hypocrite as his Party must be the most anti-football, anti sport party there is.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Oh and Edna - I agree with n1 gull - I believe we would have real numbers at a March - this time there is real anger - we're not going there to be nice and cuddly with these idiots.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I agree with Mellor 3 ward 4.

REAL ANGER is now required. I'm going to handcuff myself to Menzies Campbell and make the 6 o'clock news. We could then have a proper talk as he won't be going anywhere I'm not for a few minutes, or until they bring the bolt cutters. Seems a nice enough chap, bit old, but I've spent worse time with a lot closer people eg the London Underground in rush hour!

Watch this space. SEAGULLS FOR JUSTICE - The REAL Seagulls Party, sort of a militant provisional version that doesn't condem the use of eggs......Membership forms can be downloaded from
www.realseagullsparty.org

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
The "cracks in the pavement" party must be taught a lesson and be put in its place as the party for political chancers and nohopers.

:smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
One thing that occurs to me is that I think it is customary at the start of each conference for the mayor of the host town to welcome the delegates in a speech.

There was one Tory Party conference a few years ago (may have been in Brighton; can't remember) where the host (Labour) mayor gave the conference a right slagging off for their policies. It made the national headlines the next day.

I wonder if something similar can be arranged for this autumn in Brighton..............

scotjem

Oct 25, 2003
Glasgow
On the theme of that postcard, leaflets, etc - could we not send one out to all LibDem MPs, constituency offices, councillors etc before they arrive - wishing them a pleasant stay in a city which practices local democracy and promotes sustainable transport policies.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Screaming J said:
One thing that occurs to me is that I think it is customary at the start of each conference for the mayor of the host town to welcome the delegates in a speech.

There was one Tory Party conference a few years ago (may have been in Brighton; can't remember) where the host (Labour) mayor gave the conference a right slagging off for their policies. It made the national headlines the next day.

I wonder if something similar can be arranged for this autumn in Brighton..............

That indeed happened.

I believe 1992 or 1993.

They haven't returned since! That's why I'm not sure why we'd have the council backing us if we try and hound the Lib Dems out.

A militant Seagulls Party...oh god I can see it now, Paul Samrah denouncing Portlock Seagull.

Although that has inspired me for a good quote.

"you can't play politics with peoples football clubs!"

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
edna krabappel said:

Part of the reason for this is that journalists covering the conferences ALWAYS like to do their outside broadcasts from the top of the Centre, or from a balcony at the Grand, in order to capture the seaside backdrop. Imagine how annoying it would be for the LD party to have every broadcast featuring groups of Albion fans with "LibDems Not Welcome Here" and "Get Out Of Brighton" banners in the background? If we had an even larger banner, it could be hung from either of the piers....

Just a thought, I remember when the Labour conference was here there was a massive pro hunting poster in the centre of Brighton. Could we not do a massive 'You are not welcome' type banner in the same type of way? If it needed payment i'm sure people would chip in (I know I would)

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Hannibal smith said:
Just a thought, I remember when the Labour conference was here there was a massive pro hunting poster in the centre of Brighton. Could we not do a massive 'You are not welcome' type banner in the same type of way? If it needed payment i'm sure people would chip in (I know I would)

Yeah, we're gonna need banners and posters everywhere like all the ones we took to the Mill Stad. Get the message accross to any Lib Dem that comes to town and hopefully get some seen on screen.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Very heartening to read some of the posts on this page. I'm glad we're all agreed that marching impotently 'happy clappy' style along the seafront is a waste of time, we've got to up it a level, pickets and handcuffing are good ideas. Prescott and Labour were basically on our side, these people are the enemy and should be treated as such.

vauxhallexile

Jul 31, 2003
Superseagull said:
I like the "liberals not welcome here" idea. If we could get them all over the city it would make an impact. Keep the design simple and bright for maximum effect. Prehaps a few variations to the theme could be produced for Baker and DeVinchi.

Also re-printing & handing out that postcard that was done showing the Falmer site to hand out to delegates would be effective.

What are you trying to achieve?...if you are trying to get a message over to the delegates then putting out a message saying "liberals not welcome here" is hardly going to get them listening to you !

If all you want to do is slag them off, fine, its a free country - but your message about Falmer won't get across.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here