Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lib Dem Conference, Brighton

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
To be fair, we've had so many "novelty" protests before (dressed as undertakers, that sort of guff) and it never works.

This has got to be MAINSTREAM, it's got to be BIG, and it has to be COMPLETELY DIE-ON-ITS-ARSE PROOF

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Les Biehn said:
LDC, I don't like them very much. I live in one of the only roads in Burgess Hill that comes under their juris-dick-tion. What were mother and father Biehn thinking:nono:
At least you can VOTE SEAGULLS though :clap:

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Yes!

I can go and help, I was worried it would be after I head up to London, but it's in my last week of residence here so I can go out with a bang.

Norman Baker, Paddy Ashdown, Charles Kennedy, Simon Hughes, your boys are gonna take one hell of a beating

:clap2:

Hasn't anyone thought how good this could also be for us, bearing in mind the Lib Dem's faltering under Ming the incompetent and the fact some people have given him till September to improve.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
To be fair, we've had so many "novelty" protests before (dressed as undertakers, that sort of guff) and it never works.

This has got to be MAINSTREAM, it's got to be BIG, and it has to be COMPLETELY DIE-ON-ITS-ARSE PROOF

We need to get a date planned EARLY. I have a Holiday day to book.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Seagullible said:
I suggest some sort of blockade or other delaying tactics so they can't get to their conference wasting time and money on something they want.
This is a much better idea than a conga. This should not be about being all matey, matey with them or a smiley, happy march like the Labour conference. We need to piss them off and show them (and as much of the country that can see it on TV) that we have had enough of being a pawn in petty politics.

And we have to imply that the longer they go on with their ridiculous attempts to kill our club, the more we will do to inconvenience them and to get them voted OUT. It should be clear that this is not a football club demo, this is a fans demo.

The party that wants to destroy our club should be left in no doubt whatsoever that it is not welcome in Brighton all the time they behave like that.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
I suggest some sort of blockade or other delaying tactics so they can't get to their conference wasting time and money on something they want.

What day and time would they arrive do you think? Where would they start from? Lewes HQ or individual homes?

We better start organising. How many of us could actually get into the conference?

At the Labour Party Conference, the name of the game was publicity for the cause. This time, things are different (and the message is slightly more complicated).

We need to do TWO things - put our case to individual Lib Dem Party delegates AND get some wider publicity.

I'm rather taken with the idea of a daily vigil outside the Conference Centre at the times delegates are arriving and leaving. That way, there will be an opportunity to talk one-to-one with a large number of delegates, most of whom would probably miss seeing a march.

But - as well as that - a march would attract media publicity and spread the word wider than the individual conference delegates.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I get the impression that, unlike the two marches at the Labour Conf, the club don't want to be too closely linked with this. Rather like the Build a Bonfire days, it's going to have to be the fans who organise this march.
An important message to convey is that with the Olympics coming to Britain the LibDems are pursuing an anti-sport policy in Sussex.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I can't be arsed with novelty themes anymore.
Lets just get loads of people out, telling the truth, that is The Lib Dem council of Lewes is trying to shut down our club.

Bring it on. If the club is worried about getting involved fair enough, but we are part of the club, or so we are constantly being told, so lets get it together, with or without their blessing.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Bring it on.

We have to March in our THOUSANDS.

As Lord B also says targeting Lib Dem delegates is also a good idea.

They (the delegates) need to know the damage that they are doing to the LibDems in Sussex as a whole.

At the moment they just see this as LDC v the Gov, thinking they are protect an AONB. Again getting across the facts and dispelling the Lies that the LibDems in Lewes continue to peddle is MOST important.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think personally that the theme needs to be completely focused on the fact that they're not welcome in Brighton & Hove. People are well aware of the stadium issues and might be bored of it by now.

Most towns that host conferences blather on about how grateful and thrilled they are to have the privilege etc etc. I reckon it would be far more news-worthy (and also funny) if we concentrated on trying to run them out of town and make them feel utterly unwanted.

They tried to kill our club once before, and failed. Now they're trying to do it again- don't know about you guys, but I'm personally insulted and offended that they'd even have the nerve to consider having their annual jolly in our city. How dare they?

I'd suggest we put posters up EVERYWHERE in town advising the delegates that they are not welcome in the city. Picket the main roads into the city, groups of fans dotted around the place would have good visual impact. Stake out the station. Run up lots of banners, all with the basic message that the LD party are about as welcome in B&H as a fart in a lift, and plaster them in lots of prominent places.

I also suggest picketing the car parks around the conference venue and maybe leafleting drivers going in, as loads of the delegates will be parking in them.

And obviously have a permanent presence outside the Brighton Centre while the conference is on (are they big enough to warrant the Brighton Centre, or will they be using the Palace Pier tea-room instead?), with more of the same, being as annoying, loud (but still legal), as possible.

I'm sure we could come up with a suitable variation on the "Brighton Welcomes Careful Drivers" type roadsign, to be placed strategically on the A23. Or maybe the A27 from Lewes....

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
"Honk if you want Falmer Stadium"

:clap:

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
edna krabappel said:
I'm sure we could come up with a suitable variation on the "Brighton Welcomes Careful Drivers" type roadsign, to be placed strategically on the A23. Or maybe the A27 from Lewes....

I'd prefer a sign at the entrance to Brighton that says "give us our stadium otherwise you'll be leaving in a wooden box!" :censored:

Last edited:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
mona said:
I get the impression that, unlike the two marches at the Labour Conf, the club don't want to be too closely linked with this. Rather like the Build a Bonfire days, it's going to have to be the fans who organise this march.
An important message to convey is that with the Olympics coming to Britain the LibDems are pursuing an anti-sport policy in Sussex.

I agree. It's probably not that diplomatic for Dick and Martin to turn up as they did at the Labour conference.

But we need to start doing things SOON like talking to the police to get permission for the march, designing leaflets, etc.

Could this be organised under the auspices of a sub-committee of the Seagulls Party?

Last edited:

BlueWhite

Dec 28, 2003
Summing up so far...

A big march- like the idea we could revive the spirit of Fans United and have representatives from other clubs.

A vigil outside the conference (24/7?) to engage in one to one discussions- and hold up up Honk If You Want Falmer signs.

Posters, stickers, badges telling the Libs how unwelcome they are in Brighton

.. and how about Whistles? Hundreds of them to be blown throughout the week: wouldn't it be good everytime a Lib wanted to give an interview to the press there were whistles in the background?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here