Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liam Bridcutt was terrible tonight (merged)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I am certainly not a Bridcutt hater, but tonight was by far the worst i have ever seen from him. His pass completion stats must be shocking. I think having Hammond in the side has really unsettled him

Certainly tonight his pass stats must be poor. Hammond needs to push on. Bridcutt is the Championship Makalele. Hammond is capable of playing a more advanced role.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Wasn't his best game tonight but take Bridcutt out of that team and we'll finish in the bottom half. He does so much that people tend not to notice.

I agree with this. As for Hammond.....now HE has been dog shit the last two games. Don't know why Dicker was dropped after having a decent game against Brum.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Nonsense. Wasn't his most influential game but nowhere near the worst player for us. Nor against BIrmingham. The criticism of Bridcutt is totally unfounded based on how he has played in both games.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Certainly tonight his pass stats must be poor. Hammond needs to push on. Bridcutt is the Championship Makalele. Hammond is capable of playing a more advanced role.

No one player was to blame , we play the same moves inch for inch on every attack, it`s not difficult for the opposition to defend against us when they know what is coming

Davey Boy Smith

Jul 5, 2003
The midfield didn't feel quite right for most of the game today. At some points in the first half it was non-existent we tried to play 4-2-4 but turned more into 5-0-5...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There might have been a few stray passes but there were plenty of times when Bridcutt stepped in to break up attacks by Ipswich. Hammond had his worst game but hopefully Crofts will be back soon and on that performance tonight you can't see Hammond keeping his place. I've been a big critic of Dicker this season but thought after Saturday he was unlucky to lose his place and did well when he came on today.

Let's be honest, we started well with quite a bit of pressure and then they got the lucky break when El Abd wasn't given a foul against him and their guy picked up the ball on the right and crossed for the goal.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Gus does baffle me sometimes. Thought Dicker was good on Saturday and Hammond poor but he dropped Dicker. As has already been said I think Bridcutt plays better with Hammond further forward but Gus must have told Hammond to play deeper otherwise why would he drop that far back?

but I think the real problem is we are missing CMS and his energy very badly...........

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
The last 2 games he has been very poor. His passing seems to have gone downhill and seems to panic when in possession. He was the weak link today. Other players gave the ball away but Bridcutt has a knack of giving it away in the worst area's. Our play is very much built around Bridcutt and i think teams have worked that out, put him under pressure and he really struggles to keep the ball. Apart from Brigde, Orlandi and Buckley i think we were poor tonight and were lucky to get the point

Bridcutt was MOM tonight.

drummerboy10

Apr 18, 2012
Does anyone else think Bridcutt should have been taken off tonight? He didn't have a great game, partly due to being man marked but when a team is losing 1-0 do we really need/want a defensive midfielder on the pitch?

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Bridcutt was my man of the match tonight.

Not boasting, but I call the MOM right about 80% of the time. Tonight I thought it was gonna be either Bridcutt or Bridge. On a slightly different note, how about this for a suggestion, anyone who has a join date of 2011 or 2012 (and Withdean Wanderer) shouldn't be allowed to start a thread immediately after a disappointing game. I think then we'd all be happier.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Not sure we watched the same game! He worked his bloody socks off as usual not everything came off for him but how he does what he does against big and powerful players is beyond me.
In our half brilliant, in their's without the ball great, but in their half and in possession absolutely woeful. Same as Saturday. His limitations are becoming more obvious because in current line up (or because opposition has sussed us) he or el abd seemnto be more often than not the spare man, and he is coming forward more often into the hole, which he just is not tooled up to do.
I think that the midfield needs a re-think. Need to find a way to let Bridcutt be Makalele, not think he has to strive to be Gerrard. He is going to be a fantastic pro at Championship level and maybe higher for a lot of years, and we need to get the best out of him whilst he's with us, and that is sitting deep breaking up play, protecting the back four, constamtly making himself available for an 'out' if needed and giving simple accurate balls to better ball players. Currently the way we are setting up is not helping the lad to use his key strengths to the full.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Does anyone else think Bridcutt should have been taken off tonight? He didn't have a great game, partly due to being man marked but when a team is losing 1-0 do we really need/want a defensive midfielder on the pitch?

I agree. We should also take off all defenders and the goalie.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here