Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liam Bridcutt leaving?!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not really our young player though is he. We bought him and we may sell him on. Not the same as Virgo/Lynch et al.

We got him free when Navarro was injured. He'd been released by Chelsea, had a trial at Palace who rejected him and then came to us. Ray Wilkins recommended him to Gus who liked what he saw.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Bridcutt does get caught in possession in every game which causes anxious moments/goals .. Im sure this would have been picked up by the fulham scouts ... IF they have been watching him

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
El abd....centre back yes, holding midfield....not much difference if capable. Surely the art of all management is to not only nurture and encourage, coach individuals to cope with existing roles.....but to also have the skill to spot potential in someone who may fill another role equal to or better than what you already have in a team??

If that makes sense.....

I completely, completely disagree.

The way we play demands that the man (or men) performing the holding role are not just strong in the tackle and have good positional sense, but also that they are able to spot the right pass and play it at the right time (i.e. quickly) something Bridcutt (and to an extent Navarro) has in abundance. For me, El-Abd doesn't possess that intelligence or ability on the ball: as a centre back he's fine, but playing in centre midfield in our current set up I fear he'd be an absolute disaster

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

The way we play demands that the man (or men) performing the holding role are not just strong in the tackle and have good positional sense, but also that they are able to spot the right pass and play it at the right time (i.e. quickly) something Bridcutt (and to an extent Navarro) has in abundance. For me, El-Abd doesn't possess that intelligence or ability on the ball: as a centre back he's fine, but playing in centre midfield in our current set up I fear he'd be an absolute disaster
This. Thought Navarro's passing was top notch on Saturday btw.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne

Quite agree. It is all about creating space and angles for passes to be received and made. Bridcutt is excellent at it, and yes he does occassionally get caught on the ball but lets remember he is only 21 ish and getting better all the time. I think it would be a major loss to our style of play if he were to leave.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Having seen Brendan Rodgers (Swansea Manager) walking into the main stand at the Barnsley game wonder if other prem teams are also sniffing around players like Bridcutt?

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I fully agree, the single most important thing we need in return if bridders goes is the spaceship. Genius :bowdown:

Puts my battleship to shame :down:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bridcutt does get caught in possession in every game which causes anxious moments/goals .. Im sure this would have been picked up by the fulham scouts ... IF they have been watching him

Quite a few times it's a hospital ball and considering the number of times the ball goes through him in a game he is bound to get caught given the number of bad balls he gets. Quality of players at Fulham would reduce the number of times he is exposed..maybe.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Not going to believe anything untill it is concrete and set in stone. Rumours like these should be taken with a pinch of salt, the one I'm more concerned about is the amount of teams after Dunk.

If fulham want to qualify for the Europa League any time soon through the Fair Play award, they surely won't be one of the clubs after Dunk.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Quite a few times it's a hospital ball and considering the number of times the ball goes through him in a game he is bound to get caught given the number of bad balls he gets.
Agree. I doubt there is a midfielder in this league who is forced to take as many risks and with as much responsibility, due to the way we play - all at the age of 22. He has been caught in possession a few times in the last couple of home games, but they were so noticeable as (aside from one occasion leading to a goal) we've simply seen so little of it in the last year. Which is testament to his concentration levels and how consistent he's been. Don't want to contemplate losing him just yet - but there's bound to be plenty of interest in Jan. Same with Noone.

woodster

Jul 18, 2003
If el abd doesn't have the intelligence or ability on the ball (as mentioned above) he ain't going to fit in very well at centre back......is he.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here