Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lewis Dunk to Chelsea? EDIT: New 5 Year Deal Signed

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It shouldn’t be controversial, because it’s a discussion amongst fans on a forum.

Of course there are differing opinions - nothing wrong with it. The sooner some get to grips with that concept the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you know what the word "controversial" means?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
If Dunk does leave, it's not like he's leaving a club where he's loved by a packed out stadium.
If there was ever a time to leave a club where you're loved by your fans, I suppose now is the time.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Interesting, Ryan in the top 5 keepers in the league, I’d like to know who the other 4 are that make up your top 5 and which 15 keepers you believe are inferior to Maty. In my opinion I could see a few reasons why the club would look to replace Ryan, his distribution is quite poor, regularly kicks the ball out of play, he doesn’t control his area from set pieces or corners, anything in or around the 6 yard box should be his but he stays rooted to the spot, he has a habit of being beaten at his near post. Obviously these are just my thoughts, but if we had any chance of signing Henderson I’d be delighted, this doesn’t mean I don’t like Ryan, but it would be like having the chance to sign Kante to replace Stephens.

I just think MR comes in for too much criticism at times for someone that is kept fairly busy. I also think that the modern GK is judged on skills that are in no way near as relevant to what a keeper needs to do. Yes, distribution is important but handling, reflexes and decisions are paramount. Near post is a very dated adage from the prehistoric era when balls were slow moving and heavy and strikers were the same. Now days I think it’s unfair to blame a keeper for a howitzer at 80mph from a military grade athlete because it was ‘near post’. It’s an easy criticism but not a realistic one in the elite era IMO. Ryan is quick and agile, has good handling and while he won’t drop a ball on a penny from 50 yards can still play a modern way, not forgetting if we are going to critique his distribution it should also be noted who is receiving it. Maybe when we have a top 6 front 3 we can recalibrate the GK expectancy.

Just my opinion obviously, but I like Schmeichel, Pope, Dubravka, Allison, Foster. Are they better or worse than MR? Poss. I would stand by MR being in or around top 5 in the league on his day. Henderson is good season but I haven’t seen enough of to pass judgement. Kepa is a total gimp, Ederson mediocre. Pickford is the personification of the reality of modern GK demands gone wrong. My point - to spend any money replacing MR would have to be a lot of money to get not that much better. Would rather see invested in firepower and other areas. Maybe sign Foster from Watford on the cheap as back up / serious competition.

I’m not saying you’re wrong. Just I can’t agree. Maybe I’m stuck in the past. Tbf I did consider adding Krul to my list. :lol:

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It almost seems too fantastical to suggest, but imagine what a deal this would be if we lose Dunk, but potentially get Giroud or Tammy heading the other way.

Personally I would prefer a deal with United, with Rashford or Greenwood heading the other way.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
If Dunk does leave, it's not like he's leaving a club where he's loved by a packed out stadium.
If there was ever a time to leave a club where you're loved by your fans, I suppose now is the time.

Alternatively, he could just leave on 80 minutes once crowds are fully back at the Amex.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
£40m for a player who is 29 in November is fantastic business.
No resale value at his new club and limited amortisation period (3 or 4 years?).

I’d be very concerned though if he goes as well as Duffy. That‘s some heartbeat to lose from your team; they both define the qualities and strength that have kept us in the PL since our promotion.

However, I fully agree with the positive comments on their potential departure.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Now the second Albion player trending on Twitter, this off season.

[tweet]1294772571360169984[/tweet]

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
PS: Nobody has reported that Chelsea or anyone else has actually put in a bid for Dunk. Certainly not at £40m. Even The Sun's story which might as well just say Dunk is on "their radar" - doesn't say that. Its just speculating that that is Brighton's price and that Chelsea "might" pay it. Its thin stuff.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We've already given Murray another year, I believe. As for Henderson, if United haven't recalled him to replace De Gea I suspect they'll be looking for rather more than thirty million for him - for clubs like United, the notion of transfer fees start in the fifty to 100 million bracket!
:facepalm:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
PS: Nobody has actually put in a bid for Dunk. Certainly not at £40m. Even The Sun's story which might as well just say Dunk is on "their radar" - doesn't say that. Its just speculating that that is Brighton's price and that Chelsea "might" pay it. Its thin stuff.

So I guess there’s interest which we’ve known for ages. [MENTION=139]Jam The Man[/MENTION] was probably right with his info so fair play - or his tweet has caused all this speculation!

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
£40m for a player who is 29 in November is fantastic business.
No resale value at his new club and limited amortisation period (3 or 4 years?)

I've just learnt a new word - NSC, a wonderful resource :thumbsup:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
It seems to me far more likely that Chelsea will push the boat out to get Ben Chilwell even if they have to pay £80m for him . He is 5 years younger than Dunk and he has always been their number one choice . Dunk was always a back up .

I can’t see Leicester turning down £80 for him once Chelsea show them the money .

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It seems to me far more likely that Chelsea will push the boat out to get Ben Chilwell even if they have to pay £80m for him . He is 5 years younger than Dunk and he has always been their number one choice . Dunk was always a back up .

I can’t see Leicester turning down £80 for him once Chelsea show them the money .

I'm not sure why signing a left back would make them less likely to sign a centre back. They seem to be going all out this year in terms of spending.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
I'm not sure why signing a left back would make them less likely to sign a centre back. They seem to be going all out this year in terms of spending.

I think that would be due to the amount of outgoings. If they splash that much on one player, will they be able to buy two?
Didn’t they just get over a transfer ban for this?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We've already given Murray another year, I believe. As for Henderson, if United haven't recalled him to replace De Gea I suspect they'll be looking for rather more than thirty million for him - for clubs like United, the notion of transfer fees start in the fifty to 100 million bracket!

Yup. This "rumour" (is it even a rumour anywhere outside this thread) is just fantasy. United wont sell him. Perhaps loan him out for another year, but they wont sell him. And if they did, £30m wouldnt be close to enough for a 23 year old "keeper of the year" candidate contracted to United.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I just think MR comes in for too much criticism at times for someone that is kept fairly busy. I also think that the modern GK is judged on skills that are in no way near as relevant to what a keeper needs to do. Yes, distribution is important but handling, reflexes and decisions are paramount. Near post is a very dated adage from the prehistoric era when balls were slow moving and heavy and strikers were the same. Now days I think it’s unfair to blame a keeper for a howitzer at 80mph from a military grade athlete because it was ‘near post’. It’s an easy criticism but not a realistic one in the elite era IMO. Ryan is quick and agile, has good handling and while he won’t drop a ball on a penny from 50 yards can still play a modern way, not forgetting if we are going to critique his distribution it should also be noted who is receiving it. Maybe when we have a top 6 front 3 we can recalibrate the GK expectancy.

Just my opinion obviously, but I like Schmeichel, Pope, Dubravka, Allison, Foster. Are they better or worse than MR? Poss. I would stand by MR being in or around top 5 in the league on his day. Henderson is good season but I haven’t seen enough of to pass judgement. Kepa is a total gimp, Ederson mediocre. Pickford is the personification of the reality of modern GK demands gone wrong. My point - to spend any money replacing MR would have to be a lot of money to get not that much better. Would rather see invested in firepower and other areas. Maybe sign Foster from Watford on the cheap as back up / serious competition.

I’m not saying you’re wrong. Just I can’t agree. Maybe I’m stuck in the past. Tbf I did consider adding Krul to my list. :lol:
It’s just a difference of opinions really, though I do agree that Pickford and Kepa are gash. I like Ederson but he has a mare last night. I don’t think Ryan is a bad keeper, but I do believe there are better out there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here