Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lewis Dunk to Chelsea? EDIT: New 5 Year Deal Signed

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
In the words of Partridge, the club is EVOLVING not REVOLVING around one player. We are fortunate enough to have a plethora of decent looking defenders right now, and for (#)teamslikeBrighton a large lump sum is more than useful.

I’m not sure if you’re on a wind up but comparing Dunk to any of our unproven youngsters who have been out on loan is farcical. How much is premier league survival worth? Because Dunk could be worth exactly that, he’s worth more to us than any other team.

All very well saying we’ve got White, Clarke etc but they have zero premier league experience, look at how Webster struggled in his first few months. I wouldn’t begrudge him a move if he WANTED to go but if he didn’t want to force a move we shouldn’t be accepting any bids for him, barring ridiculous Maguire money.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If selling Dunk meant keeping White to a long term contract, i'd be pretty comfortable. From what i have seen of White he has the potential to be twice the player Dunk is.

Ben White is a fine, fine prospect.

However...

Lewis Dunk is 6'4" with reasonable pace, wins everything in the air, reads the game as well as anyone, is insanely brave and committed, can carry the ball at his feet, and can ping a 60 yard cross-field pass with a 90% completion rate.

Genuinely there hasn't been a defender in the HISTORY of the game, who is, or will ever be TWICE the player Dunk is.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It would be nice to keep them both, obviously, but it doesn't always work like that. We are pretty well covered at CB even if Dunk & Duffy go. White, Webster, Burn, Clarke & Veltman.

... not to mention O'Hora (Albion young player of the year), Roberts (Eng U18 international), Dendoncker (Belgian U19 international), Băluță (full Romanian international) and Tsoungui (Belgian U18 international). There's plenty coming down the pipeline

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I’m not sure if you’re on a wind up but comparing Dunk to any of our unproven youngsters who have been out on loan is farcical. How much is premier league survival worth? Because Dunk could be worth exactly that, he’s worth more to us than any other team.

All very well saying we’ve got White, Clarke etc but they have zero premier league experience, look at how Webster struggled in his first few months. I wouldn’t begrudge him a move if he WANTED to go but if he didn’t want to force a move we shouldn’t be accepting any bids for him, barring ridiculous Maguire money.

I totally agree with you. If Dunk is 1% better than Webster or White etc then then could well be the difference between survival or relegation, or between finishing 15th or a top half finish

Conversely, there is part of me that looks at Leicester selling Maguire for a fortune knowing they had Soyuncu.

In any case, this is a lot of people (me included) wasting perfectly good time on a completely unsubstantiated rumour

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
... not to mention O'Hora (Albion young player of the year), Roberts (Eng U18 international), Dendoncker (Belgian U19 international), Băluță (full Romanian international) and Tsoungui (Belgian U18 international). There's plenty coming down the pipeline

And you both forgot Leo Ostigaard, who is ahead of all of those.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
And you both forgot Leo Ostigaard, who is ahead of all of those.

I didn't mention Ostigard because I'd be surprised if he ever played for the Albion first team. There was an interview with him a few weeks ago where he spoke about wanting to play - he'll either go out on loan again or be transferred.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

It's a genuine poser for the gambler Bloom.

Losing Dunk for a massive fee, whilst holding many upcoming replacements would be better than losing him for less wonga in a year or so where our choice of youngsters might not be so abundant.

Moving on from Partridge, Kenny Rogers had it right.

'You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run
You never count your money
When you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the dealin's done'

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's a genuine poser for the gambler Bloom.

Losing Dunk for a massive fee, whilst holding many upcoming replacements would be better than losing him for less wonga in a year or so where our choice of youngsters might not be so abundant.

Correct

Scenario 1: Dunk leaves for £40m, which we can reinvest. Ben White steps up. Maybe Clarke, too. Roberts, etc see the possibilities of progression, and commit to the club.

Scenario 2: Dunk is persuaded to stay, with yet another hefty pay rise. Ben White sees limit chances of playing so agitates to move, etc, etc. Dunk then moves in 12 months' time, for far less money, and we've no ready replacement.

(Other scenarios are available)

It isn't as simple, as Dunk is brilliant = must keep Dunk forever, at any cost.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Correct

Scenario 1: Dunk leaves for £40m, which we can reinvest. Ben White steps up. Maybe Clarke, too. Roberts, etc see the possibilities of progression, and commit to the club.

Scenario 2: Dunk is persuaded to stay, with yet another hefty pay rise. Ben White sees limit chances of playing so agitates to move, etc, etc. Dunk then moves in 12 months' time, for far less money, and we've no ready replacement.

(Other scenarios are available)

It isn't as simple, as Dunk is brilliant = must keep Dunk forever, at any cost.

yep, this!

nothing is as one dimensional as some people see it. Every decision has a knock on impact and needs serious planning.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
IMO, now is the time if the option to sell Dunk suits him and the club.

It may all go pear-shaped but it’s the way to go with the prospects we have at the club now

There I said it!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
IMO, now is the time if the option to sell Dunk suits him and the club.

It may all go pear-shaped but it’s the way to go with the prospects we have at the club now

There I said it!

I agree, and with what [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] says too.

No doubt Dunk is outstanding for us, scores and saves goals.

But we are a team, and imho our midfield (also responsible for goals scored and conceded) is often to soft centred.

Losing Dunk, it would be hard to imagine another defender coming in and being as good, but losing Dunk elevating White or another and improving the skills/physicality of our midfield, overall the teams goals scored/conceeded could still be better off?

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
As much as I want him to stay, if Dunk has any want at all to play for a big club one day I think he and the club should take the opportunity now.

The guy is a and will always be an Albion legend but this is one area of the pitch we have decent cover for as well as real potential coming through.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I didn’t really even consider a scenario where we sold him without him wanting to go. :mad:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
He's only a couple of years old and English.... but we wont get 50 no chance. If indeed they are interested I would be thrilled with 40

Although not English Ake will still come with a premium as he qualifies as a HGP having joined Chelsea at 15. You can always get a bit more for a HGP from a top 6 club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here