Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes v Eastbourne. New Years Day. 3pm.

Jan 30, 2008
What's changed in those past 20-25 years?

And what does an 'arty, farty, lefty town' mean?
loads of original residents were pushed out by rising house prices and in move the middle class arty farty movement ,the lefty's never really went ............dandymans still there i believe

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
loads of original residents were pushed out by rising house prices and in move the middle class arty farty movement ,the lefty's never really went ............dandymans still there i believe

On so many levels, that post is shite.

How would an original resident be 'pushed out'? If they were already there, who is pushing them out? 'Oh no, house prices are going up - I've got to leave...'

What is this 'middle-class arty-farty movement' of which you drivel on about? Can you define it rather than merely label it in your ubiquitous facile manner? Are they an orgainsed and determined group of people who zeroed in on Lewes with certain values who like art and erm... what? Make Lewes a market town? Make it a place for second-hand book collectors?

Oh, and Dandyman lives in London.

If only you would, just for once in your life, take time to stop and think. It would be so nice.

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
I went yesterday, to get out of the house and as the Albion didn't have a game I thought it would be the chance to see a reasonable match between two local sides. Don't love or hate Lewes, Eastbourne or their football teams.

I enjoyed the experience. The big stand is better than anything we have at Withdean. My hot chocolate was hot, my chips were crispy and a pound less than they are at Withers. The game was fairly well balanced but Boro just about deserved the win. Good to see Danny Cullip again, but for all those people that thought he might be able to do a job for us, I'm afraid you would have been very disappointed. I'm sorry to report that Kevin Keehan does look absolutely clueless and pretty disinterested for much of the game.

The standard of football was OK, not much worse than most of what I have watched at Withdean this season.

I think Boro will get enough points to stay in the BSP but sadly I don't think Lewes will irrespective of whether they go skint or fail to improve their ground

I'm sorry to have escaped this thread for a few hours - I was called away to Lewes to buy some plumbing requisites and call in at Bunces in the Cliffe High Street, before popping into the Gardeners Arms.

So ... where was I?

Ah, yes. What's WRONG with Lewes?

Not much, to be honest. The "arty-farties" seem to be annoying Das Reich. I can see where he's coming from. But it's a bit mis-placed to target Lewes as being a hot-bed of arty-fartiness. Out here in Firle, we've lived happily alongside the likes of Virginia Woolf, Vanessa Bell and Duncan Grant for years. And the fabric of society has survived. We've even got Pete the vicar's new series starting on BBC 2 at 9 o'clock tonight.

I guess I might have added to my earlier list of Things That Have Changed Lewes Over The Past Forty Years, by including the opening of Sussex University. But that might suggest that something based at Falmer will have an impact on Lewes - so I won't mention it.

What I do know is that life moves on. Best we come to terms with it.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Not much, to be honest. The "arty-farties" seem to be annoying Das Reich. I can see where he's coming from. But it's a bit mis-placed to target Lewes as being a hot-bed of arty-fartiness. .

Wakey wakey Lord B....Lewes is full of arty-farty sandal wearing tree hugging snobs with more disposeable income then than they know what to do with.....which is why Bills is thriving. If Lewes was a true working mans town, Lewes FC would be getting gates of over 2,000 every week. Unfortunately, it's more "chic" to take their 4x4's up the Stamford Bridge where they can enjoy a bottle of Chateau neurf de pap in their private box.

You only have to walk round the town and look at the shops to see what kind of people this town attracts....twee little shops that sells balls of string and other shit for £25, dozens of antiques shops and more hairdressers than people with hair !!!!!!

Burgess Hill is calling me !!!

Wakey wakey Lord B....Lewes is full of arty-farty sandal wearing tree hugging snobs with more disposeable income then than they know what to do with.....which is why Bills is thriving. If Lewes was a true working mans town, Lewes FC would be getting gates of over 2,000 every week.
Wakey wakey? I'm not asleep.

The point I was making is that Lewes changed a long time before Billy Collison discovered that he could pulp rotten fruit and sell it at £4.50 a glass.

Albion Rob

It doesn't help with Eastbourne Borough themselves not being particularly magnanimous about Lewes winning the Conference South last year.

Eastbourne Borough didn't win it because of injuries, suspensions and the transfer deadline, according to them.

Lewes, on the other hand, were supremely gracious in victory, if I remember wrongly, Al.

Why, they even broughtthe trophy along on Thursday to show Borough fans that they actually won it.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here