Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes to Uckfield railway, feasibility study..

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
one of the reasons its uneconomical is that the stations at isfield and barcombe mills will not be used, therefore all the people who live in these areas will continue to use cars to get to brighton lewes and uckfield and beyond.

Then reinstate them. It's hardly f***ing rocket science is it?

Last edited:

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
one of the reasons its uneconomical is that the stations at isfield and barcombe mills will not be used, therefore all the people who live in these areas will continue to use cars to get to brighton lewes and uckfield and beyond.

But isn't that the same with locations such as Glynde, Berwick etc? I think opening the line itself is a major benefit and with time, migration towards the rail service could be created. Of course it isn't going to happen overnight but putting the link in would be a damn good start..

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
Then reinstate them. It's hardly f***ing rocket science is it?

they have no intention of reinstating them the service between uckfield and lewes if it ever goes ahead, and i dont believe it will go ahead, will be non stop.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
they have no intention of reinstating them the service between uckfield and lewes if it ever goes ahead, and i dont believe it will go ahead, will be non stop.

I thought the report was working upon the basis of two intermediate stations?

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Would help a lot of rural pubs and drinkers who want to go to Lewes or Brighton

Exactly. I walked from Lewes to the Anchor on Monday, partly following the old railway line. I had to restrain myself to three or we'd have never got back!

Plus, they put stuff like that in those pub guides and what have you and I'm sure it would start to bring a trade in. Barcombe Mills also seems a good place to start a variety of walks, and that is also good for trade, especially at the weekends when there is less need for through services.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Exactly. I walked from Lewes to the Anchor on Monday, partly following the old railway line. I had to restrain myself to three or we'd have never got back!

Plus, they put stuff like that in those pub guides and what have you and I'm sure it would start to bring a trade in. Barcombe Mills also seems a good place to start a variety of walks, and that is also good for trade, especially at the weekends when there is less need for through services.

Apetiton of letter writing and emails might be in order i think then

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
I thought the report was working upon the basis of two intermediate stations?

no there was a local meeting a few months ago where the locals were told that the line had two possible routes one thru ringmer or using the old track bed thru barcombe and isfield,but the service was straight thru

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Apetiton of letter writing and emails might be in order i think then

Unfortunately I think it's a trade off. I'd like the original route redone but I think in the long term it would be better to get the link plugged first, I think it is crucial.

It may also be the objections of land owners too etc. I seem to recall some NIMBYs in the two villages didnt want the noisy railway going through their village so that may be why the Ringmer route has come up.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Unfortunately I think it's a trade off. I'd like the original route redone but I think in the long term it would be better to get the link plugged first, I think it is crucial.

It may also be the objections of land owners too etc. I seem to recall some NIMBYs in the two villages didnt want the noisy railway going through their village so that may be why the Ringmer route has come up.

NIMBYs = :tosser: They will be the first people who moan if they can't afford to run their cars

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The closure of the Shoreham line was bad at the time according to my dad

He did'nt happen to work at the toll bridge at the time did he? I heard grown men were crying when that little fiddle was done away with :lolol:

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
He did'nt happen to work at the toll bridge at the time did he? I heard grown men were crying when that little fiddle was done away with :lolol:

BB, seeing as you're a man on the rails, so to speak(well,signals), what's your view on all this..

The response from the group campaigning for the reopening is good, http://home.clara.net/wealdenline/prs/080728wlc.html

The quote at the end is especially good, "If NR cannot re-open a short gap in the busiest, most congested and overcrowded corner of the UK, what hope is there for anything else in England?"

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
BB, seeing as you're a man on the rails, so to speak(well,signals), what's your view on all this..

The response from the group campaigning for the reopening is good, http://home.clara.net/wealdenline/prs/080728wlc.html

The quote at the end is especially good, "If NR cannot re-open a short gap in the busiest, most congested and overcrowded corner of the UK, what hope is there for anything else in England?"

It's not that they cant it's more a case of it not being financially viable to do so, There's bigger irons in the fire for the money to be spent on rather than worrying about a little branch line that was only closed down because nobody was using it anyway.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
It's not that they cant it's more a case of it not being financially viable to do so, There's bigger irons in the fire for the money to be spent on rather than worrying about a little branch line that was only closed down because nobody was using it anyway.

With the population rocketing thanks to free Europe,i think alot more poeple will use that line.Especially the green bridgade.How long has it been shut?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here