Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes Nimbies now out to get Glyndebourne

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I didn't realise that if Glyndebourne get permission to do this they cannot directly use the electricity that the wind turbine generates. They have to sell the electricity to the National Grid and then buy their electricity like the rest of us. I appreciate that one counteracts the other.

I believe thats a legal requirement if you intend to remain connected to the grid. If you want to isolate yourself - and hence have no power when its calm, unless you've battery backup - you don't.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I believe thats a legal requirement if you intend to remain connected to the grid. If you want to isolate yourself - and hence have no power when its calm, unless you've battery backup - you don't.

Fair enough, but you would like to think that they would hardly pay anything at all for it?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Fair enough, but you would like to think that they would hardly pay anything at all for it?

I've no idea if they get a reduced rate on what they buy back, it could be the wholesale interconnect rate (same as they're being paid, more or less) or it could be the consumer rate, for all I know...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What this country needs is leadership from the top about wind farm location, otherwise we'll be having one here and one there and they WILL be a blight on the landscape.

In order to be really effective you need a forest of them, and I fully support the notion of 250-300 offshore or in the middle of nowhere.

I think that the idea of one wind turbine as some sort of "flagship" development to promote awareness is a good idea, but I'm not convinced this is the right development because preservation of views across the South Downs IS important, which is why I love the sympathetic design of Falmer.

unnameable

Feb 25, 2004
Oxford/Lancing
Where development is concerned, there are three types of people:
NIMBYs (Not In My Back Yard);
NODAMs (No Development After Mine); and
BANANAs (Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything).

I'm starting to think that LDC and friends have graduated from NIMBYs to BANANAs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here