Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes Nimbies now out to get Glyndebourne

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Lord Bracknell said:
I'm not entirely sure that the turbine is primarily intended to supply the grid. It's being promoted by Gus Christie, who is the owner of Glyndebourne, with a view to supplying the Opera House.

Who is the idiot now....? :down: :blush:

Just had a response from an email sent...

"The wind turbine will enable Glyndebourne to generate all the electricity the opera house uses each year from renewable sources. This will reduce the opera house’s carbon emissions by 71% and would save 855 tonnes of carbon dioxide per year. There will be times of the year when the turbine produces more electricity than Glyndebourne requires and at those times we will return the excess electricity to the grid."

That clears that up!

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Monkey Man said:
My great grandad used to run that windmill as a tenant of the Glyndebourne Estate for many years and my grandad worked there too. The only reason they stopped was because - er - it blew down.

The mill was part of village life and the rural economy. It would be great to see a 21st century turbine near to where the original 17th century post mill stood. As long as they don't move the mill post that is all that remains of MY windmill.

Agreed. Do you know when the original one blew down?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I like windmills and the modern wind turbines.
There was a massive row in Yorkshire a few years ago when it was proposed to place them near Haworth (the Bronte village) saying they were a blot on the landscape.
There are two other wind farms within a 10 mile vicinity. We had friends who had one near the end of their garden. They're not noisy which is one of the NIMBY allegations.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
sadly the people who oppose wind farms are also the same lobby that oppose Nuclear power, they also campaign against carbon emissions generally,..... I am actually tring to get my head around what they want really, it appears that to appease them we need to return to the middle ages and live off the land........ bloody hell, there isnt any free land left to live off...... cancel that.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
the main political party that claims to be most interested in the environment is the Lib Dems.

The main party to have objected to sites for wind farms (in terms of them leading or being the largest party in the council with planning control) is the Lib Dems.

Lewes is a Lib Dems area. Wonder how this will pan out?

Interesting there is no comment from the Local MP on this - his party's former environment spokesman!!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The main party who wants to choke up the centre of Brighton (an area not even within their authority) with private traffic - at a time when the city's own authority is trying to reverse private car use in the city centre is the Lewes Lib Dems.

The main party discouraging the use of public transport through its own town for access to a health, recreation and job-creation project is the Lewes Lib Dems.

The main party who are happy to see the village of Falmer be a further victim of a rat-run when they could be actively doing something to avoid that problem is the Lewes Lib Dems.

Anyone spot a hypocrisy-laden link here?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
It's a good message all us drivers who are trying to be tempted out of our cars and onto bikes/foot when f***ing idiots like local councillors won't put up a few wind turbines. What a load of cock.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Barrel of Fun said:
They want the bread, but they don't want to be involved in the flour production... :nono:

From ye Argusse, 1225AD:
Furtive crab-scratching codpiece-gobbling village idiot Normann ye Baker quoth "I doth not object to ye new mill proposeth but with ye sacrament and blessing of my patron St David Belloti, Ye Olde Windmille Lane, Windmill Hill, Mill Village East is not i'faith the best location for't."

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Man of Harveys said:
From ye Argusse, 1225AD:
Furtive crab-scratching codpiece-gobbling village idiot Normann ye Baker quoth "I doth not object to ye new mill proposeth but with ye sacrament and blessing of my patron St David Belloti, Ye Olde Windmille Lane, Windmill Hill, Mill Village East is not i'faith the best location for't."

from the same paper:

Dick Liege should go forth and verily move heaven and earth so save his hock and obtain a big target lancer - so sayeth Andrew the Nailer.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
ROSM said:
from the same paper:

Dick Liege should go forth and verily move heaven and earth so save his hock and obtain a big target lancer - so sayeth Andrew the Nailer.
The following day it read:

Ye Hamlet of Leyton - braying playce of Village Idyots and resting playce of onley the very beggars and fylth - pillaged by Savage cove.

Last edited:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Its the same lib dems CANTS that seem to be able to approve Tesco's at the drop of a villa holiday in Portugal, stick up Mobile Phone masts here there and f***ing everywhere, but when someone wants to do something that actually does some GOOD (sports stadium, wind turbine etc) that JUST because its going to spoil some bitter and twisted old dried up spinsters view of a f***ing non descript hill they predictably object.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Lord Bracknell stood for the Seagulls Party in Ringmer & Ouse Valley (but those who read their Seagulls Party newsletter already knew that). I don't know if he is standing there again in May, but it's an interesting point of contention to canvas on - 'out-greening' the supposed bastions (or is that bastards) of green policy - the Lib Dems.

It just shows their green credentials to be an utterly shambolic farce based on lies, hypocrisy and pathetic old-world snobbery.

The Large One said:
Lord Bracknell stood for the Seagulls Party in Ringmer & Ouse Valley
And I had my photograph taken for the election leaflet at the very spot that this wind turbine is planned to be built.

ednips175.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
And I had my photograph taken for the election leaflet at the very spot that this wind turbine is planned to be built.

ednips175.jpg

I am both surprised and disappointed the dog in the foreground is not in costume :angry:

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Lord Bracknell said:

ednips175.jpg
How nice it is to see that furry creature getting out and about etc etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here