Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes Nimbies now out to get Glyndebourne

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Lord Bracknell said:
And I had my photograph taken for the election leaflet at the very spot that this wind turbine is planned to be built.

ednips175.jpg
Why have you only got one terrier-shaped slipper on?

bailey

Sep 24, 2005
Seafront Brighton
25 Oct 2004 "Norman Baker: I absolutely agree. Indeed, Lewes district council, which the hon. Member for South Suffolk was keen to rubbish inaccurately earlier, is exploring the possibility of a wind turbine to power its own needs. We need to get more wind turbines locally, for the reasons I have given. If we do, we will have less environmental impact and more community support for such developments. "

From http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200304/cmhansrd/vo041025/debtext/41025-32.htm

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
bailey said:
25 Oct 2004 "Norman Baker: I absolutely agree. Indeed, Lewes district council, which the hon. Member for South Suffolk was keen to rubbish inaccurately earlier, is exploring the possibility of a wind turbine to power its own needs. We need to get more wind turbines locally, for the reasons I have given. If we do, we will have less environmental impact and more community support for such developments. "

From http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200304/cmhansrd/vo041025/debtext/41025-32.htm

LDC and Baker should be looking into the possibilities of harnessing the power of hot air seeing as how they generate enough of it :angry:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Campaigners step up fight against wind turbine
By Rachel Pegg

The organisation responsible for the South Downs has pledged to oppose plans to build a wind turbine.

The South Downs Joint Committee decided yesterday (mon) to object to a planning application by Glyndebourne Opera House.

For the first time the group's planning committee allowed a member of the public to address its meeting.

Ringmer parish councillor Vic Tomkinson told the committee he believed the wind turbine would be ineffective and any environmental benefits would be far outweighed by the harm done to the landscape. It would loom over the downs at a height of 44 metres, or 70 metres to the top of the blade, with a 52-metre diameter.

Committee members voted to object to the application on the grounds that it was not in accordance with planning policy. Their views will be passed to Lewes District Council, which will make the final decision.

Mr Tomkinson said he supported renewable energy sources but did not think this one would work. He said: "I informed people I didn't think it would be effective at what it is supposed to be. I have lived on the Downs all my life.

"My people come from the Downs. I am very much concerned with keeping them or what little remains of them.

"I said I didn't think what it was going to do to the Downs and to Ringmer was worth the little carbon reduction it was going to produce."

He said the opera house had estimated the turbine would produce the same amount of energy as if it were in the "windiest heights of Wales".

He added that according to the Centre for Alternative Technology, in order for a turbine to be commercially viable, it needs to have a speed of 7 metres per second. The range of the proposed machine at Glyndebourne will have an estimated speed of 4.8 to 6.6 metres per second.

Coun Tomkinson said: "I personally don't think it's going to justify what it's going to do for the Downs."

Committee chairman Paul Millmore said: "After a lengthy debate, the majority view was that we would object because it is contrary to policy."

A Glyndebourne spokeswoman said: "We are committed to reducing our impact on the environment and our proposal for a wind turbine would enable us to generate the equivalent of all the electricity the opera house uses each year from renewable sources and it reflects Glyndebourne's desire to power the opera house in cleaner, greener and more efficient ways.

"Unfortunately Glyndebourne was not able to send a representative to the South Downs Joint Committee meeting."

The opera house says the annual mean wind speed at Mill Plain is estimated to be 6.8metres per second.

The planning committee also decided to reaffirm its concerns about plans to turn King Edward VII Hospital in Midhurst into 337 homes.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
The Large One said:
Looking at the bigger picture, I am all in favour of a f***-off great big wind farm (maybe 250-300 turbines) about two-three miles off the Sussex coast. Far enough out not to affect the sailing and boat-cruising people, and close enough inshore not to affect shipping routes. Surely a winner?

Think of the juice it can provide.

exactly what they have got just offshore outside Copenhagen

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Opera house turbine plans set to be refused
By Andy Dickenson

A bid to power an opera house with a 70ft wind turbine looks set to be thrown out after a council received a barrage of complaints against the environmentally-friendly project.

Lewes District Council will discuss proposals to build the 850kw turbine at Mill Plain - 400m (1,312ft) from the Glyndebourne Opera House - this week.

But despite more than 70 letters supporting the green initiative, councillors said they have received a further 230 from residents who are against the scheme.

The National Trust, The South Downs Society, Natural England and The Ramblers Association are also against the plans.

Council officers are recommending that the proposal is refused at Wednesday's meeting at Lewes Town Hall.

Directors at Glyndebourne hope to build the turbine on the site of an old windmill, charging the opera house through an underground cable.

Engineers believe it would generate enough electricity to meet all the prestigious venue's energy requirements for a year.

Extra electricity would then be used to feed nearby homes through the National Grid.

Ringer Parish Council has already said the three-bladed tower, with a rotor diameter of 52m (171ft), and an overall height from base to blade tip of 70m (230ft), should be thrown out.

More than 130 people living in Ringmer have also contacted the council saying the turbine will harm the area's natural tranquillity.

Another 100 from the surrounding area added their complaints in letters.

One of the objections described the turbine as "alien", another that it threatened to overshadow Ringmer, would damage the views from nearby footpaths and even that it would affect TV receptions.

Councillors have also pointed out that the site, although part of the Glyndebourne estate, also lies within the new boundaries drawn up for the proposed South Downs National Park.

A representative from The South Downs Society said: "If allowed, the turbine will be among the tallest erected in any protected landscape in England and Wales and taller than any erected in a national park."

However, the 73 letters of support cite the need for action to fight climate change and reduce carbon emissions as reason enough to give the project the green light.

Others said the turbine would be an "educational resource" and an "elegant and graceful addition to the landscape".

The British Gliders Association said the tower could prove hazardous to nearby fliers.

Planning officers have recommended the plans are refused on the grounds that "the proposed turbine by reason of its height, form and location, would result in a prominent and large scale structure which would break the open, undeveloped skyline at Mill Plain and cause serious harm to the natural beauty, character and tranquillity to this part of the Sussex Downs".

Lewes District Council's planning applications committee will meet to discuss the proposal at Lewes Town Hall at 5pm.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/loca...era_house_turbine_plans_set_to_be_refused.php

:rant:

The whole report to LDC's Planning Applications Committee can be read here:-

http://www.lewes.gov.uk/Files/plancttee_070711_LW_07_0077.pdf

It's interesting to see how many of the NIMBY objections fail to stand up to technical scrutiny.

At the end of the day, the reason why the turbine proposal is recommended for refusal comes down to its location in the AONB and the proposed National Park.

But it's interesting to see that the LDC Planning Officer comes to his recommendation on the basis of weighing the benefits of the development against the disbenefits of the location.

There is NOTHING in the report that suggests that development MUST be turned down because the site is in an AONB.

I simply wonder why they can't be consistent.

:rant:

Looking at the bigger picture, I am all in favour of a f***-off great big wind farm (maybe 250-300 turbines) about two-three miles off the Sussex coast. Far enough out not to affect the sailing and boat-cruising people, and close enough inshore not to affect shipping routes. Surely a winner?

Have you seen the ones in the North Sea off Caisters, they really do look impresive not ugly at all, they have a visitors center in Gt Yarmouth to tell you all about wind turbine, lets have them down here on the South Coast and what better place to start than on LDC patch.

Brighton fans need to start a support group, how about SIFOWAG, I am sure someone can do better than that.

It means SEAGULLS IN FAVOUR OF WINDTURBINE AT GLYNDEBOURNE.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I don't think they would know what consistency is, even if it bit them of their arses.

Obviolusly this should be turned down if it is set to ruin the voters tranquility. :rolleyes: I wonder how many have actually come across a single active Wind Turbine.

Interesting and disappointing to see that no high profile people/bodies/organisations have voiced their support.

Interesting and disappointing to see that no high profile people/bodies/organisations have voiced their support.
Friends of the Earth and Ringmer Community College wrote to LDC in support. In total, LDC received 73 letters of support, 22 of which were from Ringmer addresses

FoE have a good track record on the issue of turbines. I once took part in a Radio Four debate about the need to allow development in AONBs and National Parks if this served the public interest.

Falmer Parish Council also turned up. We won the argument. They lost.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Good stuff. I wrote a long long letter in support and shall be writing to a few national (and local) newspapers in the coming week.

As you say, I do believe this serves the interest of the public. Not just the carbon footprint of the Opera House, but forward thinking and maybe paving the way for many more turbines locally/globally.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arklow_Bank_Wind_Park

Lots and lots, if its big enough. The English Channel/North Sea would likely be windier than the Irish Sea

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Opera house turbine plans set to be refused
Planning officers have recommended the plans are refused on the grounds that "the proposed turbine by reason of its height, form and location, would result in a prominent and large scale structure which would break the open, undeveloped skyline at Mill Plain and cause serious harm to the natural beauty, character and tranquillity to this part of the Sussex Downs".

"Undeveloped skyline"? It's only undeveloped because the mill that my grandad used to operate blew down!

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Well somebody has to be devil's advocate ! I suspect that Glyndebourne are just using this as a gimmick. Wind farms aren't that efficient!

The South Downs need to be protected that is why the specious LibDem arguments against the Albion stadium at Brighton Uni need to be kicked into touch.
They are nothing to do with the environment and everything to do with the LibDem need to out-Tory the Tories by supporting wealthy property owners against football riff-raff like me and you.

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
I didn't realise that if Glyndebourne get permission to do this they cannot directly use the electricity that the wind turbine generates. They have to sell the electricity to the National Grid and then buy their electricity like the rest of us. I appreciate that one counteracts the other.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here