Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes Bridge result

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Yes, the Libs are back in but they've got to be careful now. They know that wasting taxpayers money is a vote loser and hopefully the Seagulls Party is going to remind people of the waste. A few councillors might just think before they speak in future.

Goodfella said:
This is a fantastic result considering that the party is a one issue party, i would suggest the Seagulls Party carries on and maybe takes on board other issues that may sway the people of lewes and surrounding areas to vote for them, who knows next time they may get a seat on the council, then can have a say in all things Falmer.
Once again, ecxellent work to all those involved.:clap:
Thanks for the kind words.

However ... if you read our election literature, you will see that it wasn't a One Issue campaign at all - unless you count exposing the arrogance of an out-of-touch Lib Dem administration across a whole range of topics as the "One Issue".

We had things to say about traffic and transport, parking, planning issues other than Falmer, jobs, travellers ... all on the same theme:- Your councillors are letting you down.

One of the Lib Dem candidates in my ward even said that he agreed with me. He reckoned that if the Tories had focused on local issues, rather than mainly trying to promote the new look David Cameron, they would have done much better.

vauxhallexile

Jul 31, 2003
Yorkie said:
The Lib Dems have lost the leader of their council and the leader of the Planning committee. That is going to hurt them.

They also looked astonished at Mark (Ned) getting 28% of the votes in Newhaven. Ok they still won the seats but it did make an impact believe me.

Nope, Lib Dems didn't lose the council leader - Ann de Vechi was returned. Marina Pepper was Chair of Lewes DC, which simply means she chairs full council meetings and is the equivalent of a Mayor in most councils.

vauxhallexile

Jul 31, 2003
clapham_gull said:
That's actually extremely impressive if you understand what the Seagulls are ACTUALLY trying to prove.

I'm sure even our orange friends would admit that PROPORTIONALLY, that's an important and impressive REPRESENTATION.

On a lighter note, countrywide the unacceptable face of liberal democracy have had their arses kicked.

I know that many lib dems are possibly sympathetic towards us and other football clubs (Barnet in particular) but they should have been seen to put more pressure on the Lewes lot like the Brighton lib dems.

Personally, I take issue with a PPC Liberal Democrat in my brothers Sussex ward visiting him (after he contacted them regarding the stadium) and claiming to know NOTHING about the stadium or the club.

Within days their name was published in the matchday programme as one of those against.

leaned on ?

Well I've been "leaned on" over this and like many other Brighton supporters and my family will NEVER vote Lib Dem at local or national level.

The futures' Brighton and it definately ain't orange.

Not quite true - Lib Dems won control of areas including Eastbourne, Rochdale and Hull and their share of the vote stayed the same as last year, despite the Tories having millions of pounds to spend on their election campaign. Nationally it was a mixed bag for Labour and Lib Dems. And the Tories still failed to break through in big cities like Manchester and Liverpool.

I was one of the Lib Dems who lobbied LDC councillors over Falmer but at the end of the day the Lib Dems are a party which believes that they are accountable to the electorate and if they make a bad decision then they will pay for it at the ballot box.

Which you could argue is exactly what happened to Lee, Pepper and Neighbour although I think they lost their seats more as a result of the Tories having an eye on taking the Brighton Kemptown seat that their ward is in and putting in some serious resources to win.

vauxhallexile said:
Nope, Lib Dems didn't lose the council leader - Ann de Vechi was returned. Marina Pepper was Chair of Lewes DC, which simply means she chairs full council meetings and is the equivalent of a Mayor in most councils.
But Pepper was a former member of the Council's Cabinet and a more than active member of the political clique that was insistent on pursuing the case against the Falmer stadium.

She was the woman who said to a Seagulls Party supporter in Lewes the other day: "You are only a football thug. What do you know about politics?"

And what other competent "Mayor" would make a speech to the Royal Sussex Regiment Association that ends up with her being given a slow handclap and boos from a group of elderly army veterans?

Good riddance.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
vauxhallexile said:
Not quite true - Lib Dems won control of areas including Eastbourne, Rochdale and Hull and their share of the vote stayed the same as last year, despite the Tories having millions of pounds to spend on their election campaign. Nationally it was a mixed bag for Labour and Lib Dems. And the Tories still failed to break through in big cities like Manchester and Liverpool.

I was one of the Lib Dems who lobbied LDC councillors over Falmer but at the end of the day the Lib Dems are a party which believes that they are accountable to the electorate and if they make a bad decision then they will pay for it at the ballot box.

Which you could argue is exactly what happened to Lee, Pepper and Neighbour although I think they lost their seats more as a result of the Tories having an eye on taking the Brighton Kemptown seat that their ward is in and putting in some serious resources to win.

Mixed bag for Labour? Lost Scotland, lowest vote ever in Wales. Trounced in England. Tories won tons of seats up north from Labour. 2nd lowest share of the vote ever. I'd hate to see what you regard as bad.

As for the Lib Dems. Whoopee, they won a couple of councils on purely local issues. They got soundly beaten everywhere else. Accountable to the electorate, my arse. Marina regarded herself as the Queen (her words).

Wake up and smell the coffee, mate

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
The Large One said:

Bloody brilliant effort all of you. I think it's fair to say we're all very proud of you and what you have achieved. Thank you for standing up to represent all of us while conducting yourselves with dignity and pride.

Spot on

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
vauxhallexile said:

the day the Lib Dems are a party which believes that they are accountable to the electorate and if they make a bad decision then they will pay for it at the ballot box.

shame they have to make their decisions in private.

Ming is on his way - failure to take Tory seats in the South, and Labour in the North mean this was overall a pretty pathetic showing by the LDs nationally.

vauxhallexile

Jul 31, 2003
Buzzer said:
Mixed bag for Labour? Lost Scotland, lowest vote ever in Wales. Trounced in England. Tories won tons of seats up north from Labour. 2nd lowest share of the vote ever. I'd hate to see what you regard as bad.

As for the Lib Dems. Whoopee, they won a couple of councils on purely local issues. They got soundly beaten everywhere else. Accountable to the electorate, my arse. Marina regarded herself as the Queen (her words).

Wake up and smell the coffee, mate

Fair point Buzzer, Labour got their arses soundly kicked, although not the total disaster I was hoping they would get.

Lib Dems - got a record share of the vote last year (27%), only just a small bit down this year (26%).

Soundly beaten my arse!

Do you live anywhere near Eastbourne? Were they beaten there? I think not.

And what I mean by being accountable is that the voters had the last say on her being a Lewes Councillor - they held her to account and booted her out.

vauxhallexile

Jul 31, 2003
Mellor 3 Ward 4 said:
shame they have to make their decisions in private.

Ming is on his way - failure to take Tory seats in the South, and Labour in the North mean this was overall a pretty pathetic showing by the LDs nationally.

Nope, Lib Dems won places like Eastbourne and Caradon in Cornwall in the South and Hull and Rochdale in the North.

In some places not so good but in other places very good, considering the millions of pounds of cash available to Labour and Tories that they spend each year

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
vauxhallexile said:
Fair point Buzzer, Labour got their arses soundly kicked, although not the total disaster I was hoping they would get.

Lib Dems - got a record share of the vote last year (27%), only just a small bit down this year (26%).

Soundly beaten my arse!

Do you live anywhere near Eastbourne? Were they beaten there? I think not.

And what I mean by being accountable is that the voters had the last say on her being a Lewes Councillor - they held her to account and booted her out.

But the point is the LDs have LOST ground in the South to the Tories, and gained very little in the North from Labour - the two key targets.

Come two years time the LDs will be heading for a wipeout at the General Election IF MC is in charge.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
vauxhallexile said:
Nope, Lib Dems won places like Eastbourne and Caradon in Cornwall in the South and Hull and Rochdale in the North.

In some places not so good but in other places very good, considering the millions of pounds of cash available to Labour and Tories that they spend each year

You mention the specific few they did win against the shed loads they lost.

Sorry but they have a useless leader, and apart from their stance on the Iraq war no decent policies.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Yes, you won Eastbourne. One of your very few successes. Meanwhile, how did you do overall? Did your share of the vote go up? Did you have more councillors? Did you get more seats than the tories in Wales or Scotland?

It was only a mixed bag if that bag had one or 2 successes and many many defeats. (and that record share of the vote was YOUR best. The Tories did better than that in their darkest days.)

England - lost 4 councils and nearly 300 seats.
Welsh Parliament - static 4th, behind the Tories and with only a handful or so of seats
Scottish Parliament- lost 1 seat, 4th behind the Tories

You keep kidding yourself that it was "a mixed bag" and you could be in for a big shock come the General Election.

Col P

Feb 13, 2006
Fantastic set of results the seagulls party must continue I think it needs to focus on the lid dems in other areas how about my area lancing we need to keep the presure up

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
Maybe the 'Seagulls Party' should consider putting forward a candidate for Brighton & Hove, for the next local elections, as the 'Green' party is growing in stature, and any further developments that Falmer may need once built, would be seriously contended by them.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
At £500 a time it is rather expensive. :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here