Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes Bridge result

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Rougvie said:
What is impressive to me is that we are seeing high percentage of people voting on a sole issue.

tsk tsk...it wasnt a single issue party!

they stood on a platform based on lots of issues.

So what happens to the seagull party now.... do we stay active until Kelly says Yes or No?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Dave the Gaffer said:
tsk tsk...it wasnt a single issue party!

they stood on a platform based on lots of issues.

So what happens to the seagull party now.... do we stay active until Kelly says Yes or No?

That is a very good question and no doubt we'll have a meeting next week to decide.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Rougvie said:
What is impressive to me is that we are seeing high percentage of people voting on a sole issue.

28% out of any snap poll in support of the Albion is extremely impressive when you consider that the Albion's best ever support in the great days was only about 18,000 which is way less than 28% of the city and surround population.

It just goes to show that when you galvanise people, if they are reasonable, regardless of their interest in football they see it as a great oppertunity for Sussex as a whole, its a shame we have lost so much of that support to apathy in the city itself.

Couldn't agree more. very high vote for a single issue. Those that win power should always take into consideration the views of others.

It would be interesting to see how many votes an "Anti-Albion-For-Falmer" candidate would get? Especially in all the wards that aren't directly affected.

Very good results for all 4 candidates concerned.

Well Done! :clap: :clap:

bailey

Sep 24, 2005
Seafront Brighton
So in summary - between a fifth and a third of Lewes voters who had a choice voted in favour of Falmer.

Are you listening LDC?

Well done to all involved. :clap:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yorkie said:
That is a very good question and no doubt we'll have a meeting next week to decide.

I would suggest the Seagulls Party remains as it is until work starts at Falmer to build our new stadium.

Yorkie said:
Ouse Valley & Ringmer

Gander (Con) 910
Bowers (Lib Dem) 904
Gardiner (Lib Dem) 902
Parker (Con) 879
Small (Con) 842
Carr (Lib Dem) 813
Bassford (Seagulls) 467
Broome (Green) 278
Wilson (Ind) 143

Turnout 46%
Ed Bassford 22.8% approx of available votes

Yorkie
How does one get 22.8% of all available votes?????

Total votes cast 6,138
Total votes for Ed 467
which I make as 7.608% of all available votes

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Storer68 said:
Yorkie

Total votes cast 6,138
Total votes for Ed 467

Don't ask me. I'm quoting figures given to me.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Storer68 said:
Yorkie

Total votes cast 6,138
Total votes for Ed 467

Everyone had 3 votes, assuming all voted for 3, 22.8% of people voted for him.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Many thanks everyone!

Exhaustion is setting in fast here but yes, we will probably have a meeting next week. However, this is likely to be about "housekeeping" stuff like our expenses claims.

When we've all recovered properly, we can start talking about BIG stuff but certainly, there's no suggestion that the Seagulls Party is planning to fade away right now!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
roz said:
Many thanks everyone!

Exhaustion is setting in fast here but yes, we will probably have a meeting next week. However, this is likely to be about "housekeeping" stuff like our expenses claims.

When we've all recovered properly, we can start talking about BIG stuff but certainly, there's no suggestion that the Seagulls Party is planning to fade away right now!
Good! I'm sitting on a fair few T-shirts here still...

Bloody brilliant effort all of you. I think it's fair to say we're all very proud of you and what you have achieved. Thank you for standing up to represent all of us while conducting yourselves with dignity and pride.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Great work guys and girls!! From pretty much a standing start to get around 20% of the share is fantastic! Well done to you 4 and all that helped.

Just a shame that more people in Lewes did'nt care about a great Sussex institution being treated like shite and in doing so wasting their money. Well I suppose you get what you vote for so I hope they enjoy their leg warmers and coffee mornings and lack of vision of the future!

Im very glad I dont live in Ringmer anymore, I would find it hard not to get very wound up by those bunch of two faced Libdem jokers!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Well done for a good effort by all the candidates and everyone else involved. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

It cant be easy for any new party to poll votes because there will allways be an element of distrust among certain voters towards newbies, Lets hope the Lib Dems have had a much needed kick in the bollox today that they will take notice of. :drink:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Not many people from Lewes left living there these days. Certainly outnumbered by the "Islington Set" or wherever they're from. Lib Dem the lot of them though, c**ts.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
A fantastic and almost unbelievably good achievment by the Seagulls Party. I think people need to understand, that although the Seagulls Party wanted to win seats.....the main objective has been obtained. i.e. to let LDC know that we have a voice.....and we will use it...! For the main parties to see that a "football club" from out of the district, has attracted so many votes, will make them realise, that they have seriously over-estimated the opposition from the electorate to the football stadium at Falmer.

Just a last bit of psephology from me.

At the August by-election in Ouse Valley & Ringmer ward (when there was just one candidate to be elected), the Lib Dems won with 43.7 per cent of the vote. The Tories came second with 31.8 per cent of the vote - a Lib Dem majority of 194.

The Lib Dems therefore had great expectations that they would win all three seats in this ward this time.

What happened? The Seagulls Party mounted a very strong, well-focused campaign targeting the Lib Dems.

And what effect did this have? The Lib Dems failed to get their three candidates elected. In fact, the Tories were in first place and only failed to take all three seats by a very narrow margin. 24 more votes for the Tories would have won them a second of the three seats. 63 more votes and they would have won all three seats.

I got 30 per cent MORE votes this time than I did in August. That was nice, but the real point is that we were able to campaign vigorously and make a real difference to the Lib Dems' performance. We nearly defeated all three Lib Dem candidates in a ward that they thought last August was safe.

The point of all this is the opportunity that we took to campaign in the political arena.

Well done to EVERYONE who joined in.

Last edited:

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
This is a fantastic result considering that the party is a one issue party, i would suggest the Seagulls Party carries on and maybe takes on board other issues that may sway the people of lewes and surrounding areas to vote for them, who knows next time they may get a seat on the council, then can have a say in all things Falmer.
Once again, ecxellent work to all those involved.:clap:

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Great effort from the Seagulls party but the truth is that we made very little inroad in the wider scheme of things in Lews DC

The voters of Lewes are probably more interested in taxes, Iraq, schools etc. I am sure that Falmer barely registers on the richter scale

This is in contrast with the Valley Party who really scared Labour in the Charlton area

I guess that the Seagulls Party would have received more votes in Brighton & Hove where the trendies are now voting Green

Lord Bracknell said:
Just a last bit of psephology from me.
OK. A bit more ...

Newhaven Denton & Meeching

What happened in Newhaven is very simple. Ned got a significant proportion of the electorate to vote for him. This came as a surprise to the Lib Dems, who thought that their anti-incinerator campaign over the past few years would win them more votes than ever before.

In fact, their vote dropped, despite an increase in the turnout. The Lib Dems have won this ward comfortably for many years and it is no surprise that they won this time. But there is a lesson for them to learn from this result - the way they have dealt with the Stadium issue has not gone down well with a lot of people in Newhaven.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here