Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes bonfire...?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Anyone else at Waterloo notice the fireworks going onto the crowd?

They lit the tablaus and fireworks were firing straight into the crowd! I was thinking, I'm glad I'm not standing over there!!!

Then during the main display one fired straight at me!!

Marvellous scences!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
desprateseagull said:
surely ANYWHERE in Lewes would be risky, on bonfire night?

I always drive in, due to the amount of costumes etc, but leave the car in Little East Steet car park, obviously a loose torch under the fuel tank could be risky but generally the rookies are all bang and cause little damage. Car is in need of a good wash now those, its covered in soot

tricky

Jul 7, 2003
Reigate
This was my first lewes bonfire night for 5 years and I had forgotten how much I loved going to it as a child, teenager and adult. It really is an amazing experience.
It makes me laugh how people are so health and safety conscious these days - when I went as a child, having bangers going off in front of you as the procession went through town was part of the fun.

Lewesian Seagull

Jul 13, 2003
Lewes
I had a brilliant night, escaped relatively unscathed apart from The Cliffe Fire Engine running over my foot on last procession!
Thanks Dandyman!:lolol:

If you don't like what we do, or are frightened of a few bangs don't come. Simple really isn't it.:angry:

Lewesian Seagull

Jul 13, 2003
Lewes
copperpi1.jpg

:lolol: :lolol:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I hope the Lewes Bonfire tradition long continues....Unfortunately the availability of fireworks to the general public will at some stage I fear bring an end to it...

Fireworks are now banned in Australia (other than by registered persons or organisations) due to alot of the issues above, and by some very specific things such as a chap blowing his privates off and some sick bastard inserting one in a cats bottom.

I always thought the best thing about the Lewes night was the tongue in cheek (and educated) attitude with the effigys and tributes, but given the people who wish to mix alcohol and fireworks arriving at the event, I can only see it becoming less and less enjoyable sadly...and this is the reason I've never been and enjoyed it from afar.. (ie photos and news)

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
tedebear said:
I hope the Lewes Bonfire tradition long continues....Unfortunately the availability of fireworks to the general public will at some stage I fear bring an end to it...

Fireworks are now banned in Australia (other than by registered persons or organisations) due to alot of the issues above, and by some very specific things such as a chap blowing his privates off and some sick bastard inserting one in a cats bottom.

I always thought the best thing about the Lewes night was the tongue in cheek (and educated) attitude with the effigys and tributes, but given the people who wish to mix alcohol and fireworks arriving at the event, I can only see it becoming less and less enjoyable sadly...and this is the reason I've never been and enjoyed it from afar.. (ie photos and news)

It's nothing like what people make out. I've been virtually ever year of my life. I was even there in a buggy.

It's alway worse on a Saturday especially if the weather is good like last weekend. All it means is it's a bit more crowded. The only places where it is REALLY crowded though are the war memorial and cliff bridge. If you stand at the bottom of school hill there is plenty of room.

There will obviously be pissed up people there too but there is also a decent police presence there to keep an eye on them. It's as risky as going on an away trip with the Albion IMHO. If you want to find trouble then you will. If you are there to enjoy the show then you will.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
desprateseagull said:
wtf were you doing, driving to lewes on BF night? i thought cars were banned from the area, anyays? (for crowd safety, and security issues, just as above..)

Maybe i....errrrrm......live there !!! :shootself

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here