Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes bonfire...?

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
At one point we we standing in a sort of alleyway off Cliffe High Street, that headed to a car park, and round to near where Waterloo is. All of a sudden a fracas broke out between one twat and 2 coppers. The twat put up a good fight for a short time knocking one of the coppers glasses off, and having him around the throat, before eventually he was overpowered, and no doubt got a good beating back at the station.

jonny.rainbow said:
And the people blacking up as Sioux, Apache and Zulu Warriors?

Is that affectionate aswell?
From the Lewes Bonfire Council's website:-

Commercial Square's pioneer front and society emblem were born out of protest, rather like the Bonfire tradition itself. During the late 1800s a handful of society members went to America to find their fortune helping to construct the ever-expanding railways. During their time there, they observed the dreadful treatment of the Native American population. Upset by what they saw, upon their return to Lewes, they decided to wear North American Indian costumes to raise the profile of the Native Americans' plight. This costume was so popular that it did not take long before the Indian motif became the society's leading costume and our emblem.

From time to time, the Commercial Square Bonfire Society give more information about this in their own bonfire programme.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Isnt it quaint to see middle class liberals from Lewes letting their hair down once a year, and burning the Pope, Pikies, Red Indians and Steve Irwin, but all "in tribute " of course...

:lolol:

gawd bless em

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
jonny.rainbow said:
And the people blacking up as Sioux, Apache and Zulu Warriors?

Is that affectionate aswell?

What a pethetic post. They are BLACK for f*** sake. What do you want them to do, dress up as white Zulu warriors? Sometimes this board can just be f***ing ridiculous. Maybe you should find out the facts first, before posting utter bollocks.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Smart Mart said:
Isnt it quaint to see middle class liberals from Lewes letting their hair down once a year, and burning the Pope, Pikies, Red Indians and Steve Irwin, but all "in tribute " of course...

:lolol:

gawd bless em

I think you'll find that it was going on long before all those stuck up tossers appeared.

Caveman said:
Then they set fire to him.
Actually, no tableau is EVER "set fire to".

The fireworks that it carries are ignited in a display that will last for a good period of time. The whole thing usually gets destroyed in a massive final explosion. But if a tableau simply burnt, it would be seen as a failure by the people who built it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
jevs said:
in 37 years of living in the town.

Walked home and was met by the entire commercial square procession walking up my street and i decided to try to pick a fight with them all after the cretins started letting off bangers under the cars....including mine !!!

East Street residents move their cars as they know its on the procession route ??? is your road on one then

Gazwag said:
East Street residents move their cars as they know its on the procession route ??? is your road on one then
Indeed.

Increasingly, parts of the event seem to be subject to last minute re-routing by the police (who don't seem to have much of a clue about what they are doing).

Last night, I found myself (and several hundred other bonfire society members) being sent along Southover Road, Grange Road and Rotten Row, with no-one watching and nothing but parked cars lining the route. We were all expecting to be in the High Street and I think all the car owners - mostly local residents - thought their vehicles were safely parked away from any danger.

Hey hum.

Last edited:

Gazwag said:
Well I surpose they need to do something to justify their £50k costs for policing the event
I remember - about ten years ago - spending part of the evening (about 9.30pm) in the Black Horse in the company of an OFF-DUTY local bobby.

Those were the days before anyone in authority thought it was necessary to cancel all police leave and flood the town with police and surveillance cameras.

I blame Ann de Vecchi.

:angry:

And I'm serious about that last comment.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I use to know a local lewes bobby who, because he was local, lead one of the societies every year (cant remember which society it was now although his wife (at the time) was in Cliffe). That is what is missing now I think, the use of local knowledge

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Lewes Bonfire is a disgrace, how the get away with burning an effigy of the pope is beyond belief!

f*** them!

God bless the pope!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here