Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Levi Colwill *Signed on Season-Long Loan 05/08/2022*

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Businesses take on contractors to fill skills gaps. Does a good job and this STH will be happy. When he stops a certain goal or heads in from a corner, doubt his ‘on loan’ status will even get a thought.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
This. Credit to [MENTION=24827]Justice[/MENTION] for calling it and getting taken to task by the NSC knowalls. We have the Cucurella hole patched up while we decide what the permanent rebuild looks like. In those circumstances a loan is ok.

Given the club by its own admission prepare well in advance for all circumstances, and given Burn left some time ago, Cucurella was likely to go, I would suggest that we must have been prepared for this. I don’t agree with loans, and with a few exceptions, don’t see them as a positive approach.

This is only our second in the PL I believe and the other one was a shocker, also a Chelsea loan via Huddersfield.

Edit also Mooy but he was loan to buy, which I hoped Levi would be.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
This. Credit to [MENTION=24827]Justice[/MENTION] for calling it and getting taken to task by the NSC knowalls. We have the Cucurella hole patched up while we decide what the permanent rebuild looks like. In those circumstances a loan is ok.

We might have a third of it patched up.

In Cucu's LCB guise ..... maybe we do have it patched up. Certainly i'd agree with you if we were getting in a proven player in that position. This is a 19 year old with no top level experience. He might turn out to be a future England international, but he'll be learning by his mistakes here. Colwill has a great chance of going to have a better career than any of the other young defenders at the club, but i'm far from convinced he's a better bet right now, for this season than Clarke at 24 and Van Hecke at 22 who've both played a lot more football.

As a Left Back. From what I hear, Colwill would be a player filling in there at best

Left Wing back. Almost certainly not

Sorry to be a knowall, but I still don't see the logic of it.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Given the club by its own admission prepare well in advance for all circumstances, and given Burn left some time ago, Cucurella was likely to go, I would suggest that we must have been prepared for this. I don’t agree with loans, and with a few exceptions, don’t see them as a positive approach.

This is only our second in the PL I believe and the other one was a shocker, also a Chelsea loan via Huddersfield.

Krul
Mooy
Brown

That’s three already plus Colwill

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Izzy Brown? We'll never really know because he had a career affecting injury before he got going.

Loans are far from ideal but I don't think anyone will ever really know the full details of this deal. It may be a loan to buy option. It may be that they were asking too much for a permie or the player wouldn't agree to it. Like I said, it's a sticking plaster and I wouldn't personally fancy starting the season with a gaping wound, as the actress said to the bishop.

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
While I would have preferred a permanent deal for this kid, welcome anyway and hopefully he helps us out this season. Does seem like he has a lot of promise for sure.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I think the club have nailed it personally.

Tried to stall a deal whilst we’ve looked at other LB alternatives that haven’t come off. Once the Cucurella deal is done every player would rise in value because they know we have the best part of £60m in our pocket.

Take a loan player as cover for the LCB position and now can explore other options in the remaining weeks for a LB without having a gun to our head.

Smart move all round I think.

Yeah I see what you’re saying, but, I find it strange how we would favour a loan over purchase with a buy back. While the buy back wouldn’t be ideal, it would at least guarantee us SOME profit if we were to lose the player. This way we are guaranteed to lose a potentially £50m player for nothing.

Honestly I’d rather develop Van Hecke.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yeah I see what you’re saying, but, I find it strange how we would favour a loan over purchase with a buy back. While the buy back wouldn’t be ideal, it would at least guarantee us SOME profit if we were to lose the player. This way we are guaranteed to lose a potentially £50m player for nothing.

If we use Ben White as a benchmark - then 1 good season Colwill is worth £50M. So we’d never agree to that. And I would bet at this point Colwill won’t want to commit at only 19

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
We might have a third of it patched up.

In Cucu's LCB guise ..... maybe we do have it patched up. Certainly i'd agree with you if we were getting in a proven player in that position. This is a 19 year old with no top level experience. He might turn out to be a future England international, but he'll be learning by his mistakes here. Colwill has a great chance of going to have a better career than any of the other young defenders at the club, but i'm far from convinced he's a better bet right now, for this season than Clarke at 24 and Van Hecke at 22 who've both played a lot more football.

As a Left Back. From what I hear, Colwill would be a player filling in there at best

Left Wing back. Almost certainly not

Sorry to be a knowall, but I still don't see the logic of it.

I don't think for a second that Colwill replaces Cucurella, whether it's loan or perm, otherwise they would just have given Colwill a squad number.

I was more talking about Justice being shouted down for saying he'd heard from the Chelsea side of things that it would be a loan, when, apparently, we don't do them.

They are a risk. But, in this specific instance, much less risky than doing nothing.

Let's see the kid play first, eh?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don't think for a second that Colwill replaces Cucurella, whether it's loan or perm, otherwise they would just have given Colwill a squad number.

I was more talking about Justice being shouted down for saying he'd heard from the Chelsea side of things that it would be a loan, when, apparently, we don't do them.

They are a risk. But, in this specific instance, much less risky than doing nothing.

Let's see the kid play first, eh?

To be fair, for me it’s certainly not an ability thing, but developing another clubs player over our own. Just don’t agree with it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
To be fair, for me it’s certainly not an ability thing, but developing another clubs player over our own. Just don’t agree with it.

I get that as well, but we get a lot of our players developed by other clubs in this way, including, famously, Ben White, so I don't think this is an argument that our top brass can use.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

Did we favour a loan ? Or did we just not come to an agreement on the buyback ? Without knowing what fee they wanted for Colwill and what fee they wanted to set regarding the buyback it’s difficult to know how viable it was. With a buyback there really has to be a good return to risk spending £20m ish on a defender with no PL experience.

A loan covers is in that we have another body in who can fill some of the positions Cucarella played and gives us bit of flexibility in the rest of the window.

I don’t think they feel Van Hecke is ready yet so another loan seems likely

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I get that as well, but we get a lot of our players developed by other clubs in this way, including, famously, Ben White, so I don't think this is an argument that our top brass can use.

But we’re massive now 😃, so it’s different….

With White we were helping a small team achieve their footballing ambition for a couple of seasons (hopefully).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Indeed - saying we’re developing Colwill is like saying Leeds developed Ben White. You can’t have it both ways.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Did we favour a loan ? Or did we just not come to an agreement on the buyback ? Without knowing what fee they wanted for Colwill and what fee they wanted to set regarding the buyback it’s difficult to know how viable it was. With a buyback there really has to be a good return to risk spending £20m ish on a defender with no PL experience.

A loan covers is in that we have another body in who can fill some of the positions Cucarella played and gives us bit of flexibility in the rest of the window.

I don’t think they feel Van Hecke is ready yet so another loan seems likely

But even with a £45m buy-back we’ve made a profit.

Given there’ll be a loan fee, I can’t see any positive. I do agree with your first para though, it might have been a number of factors.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here