Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Levi Colwill *Signed on Season-Long Loan 05/08/2022*

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Bit different when you’re in the same position and have promising players of your own?

I guess the only logical explanation is Potter hates all our youth players, Tony Bloom has lost the plot and is stealing all the Cucurella money and we are going to get relegated.

Personally and I’ve been concerned since the Ashworth news I think we are in a bit of a tailspin on the football side and this is an easy way to try and balance the ship while we settle things down

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Once again, I’m guessing (like everyone else) but my bet is we wanted to buy him but without a buy back clause. If Chelsea won’t budge on (for example) £20m fee and £40m buyback, then it’s a £20m upside vs a £20m loss if he turns out to be rubbish, gets injured etc. Maybe Tony doesn’t like those odds and would rather have him for nothing for a year while we scope other options.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I guess the only logical explanation is Potter hates all our youth players, Tony Bloom has lost the plot and is stealing all the Cucurella money and we are going to get relegated

Personally and I’ve been concerned since the Ashworth news I think we are in a bit of a tailspin on the football side and this is an easy way to try and balance the ship while we settle things down

Nope lost me, thought we were discussing merits of loan deals 😉

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The last left back loanee with a Chelsea connection did OK... :shrug:

I say get behind this Colwill fella, regardless of what terms he is here on.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Nope lost me, thought we were discussing merits of loan deals [emoji6]

The merits are - Better than what we have, can drop straight in and chance of a deal in the long term I imagine. And means we don’t need Shane Duffy near the team anymore

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
A loan for Colwill means he'll be here as long as Cucu was...

No profit for us, but no loan fee to pay - so we got him "on a free".

I see no downside, and our transfer kitty can now be spent on 2-3 players rather than 3-4.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Levi Colwill

I see no downside, and our transfer kitty can now be spent on 2-3 players rather than 3-4.

I’ll be 100% behind him if he manages to rack up any first team minutes but I’ll be praying that we don’t need to use him because we’ll have signed a couple of left footed defenders on a permanent pretty soon.

I hope that at best, his presence in our squad makes life easier for our recruitment team in that they won’t be held to ransom on a ‘it’s my client or no-one’ negotiating strategy.

Success is this lad being sent back to Chelsea in the next window because he has not had a whiff of action because we’ve not needed him.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So - Colwill is a promising youngster who has had a good season on loan in the Championship. Fine..................

Jayson Molumby has had good seasons in the Championship. Gone - Albion's price, give or take, around £1M.
Viktor Gyokeres has had good seasons in the Championship. Gone - Albion's price, give or take, around £1M.
Ryan Longman had a good loan spell in the Championship. Gone - Albion's price, give ot take, around £1M.
Leo Ostigard has had good seasons in the Championship. Gone - Albion's price, debateable .... £4.5M with add-ons that could take it to £10M as a best guess.

Levi Colwill has had a good season in the Championship - so he must be worth? ............. oh wait a minute, he's owned by Chelsea ...... and although the deals are, of course, seperate, it's not rocket science that Chelsea would really like the idea of getting Cucurella for £30M plus a young player with one good season in the Championship. Who'da thunk it - he's suddenly apparantly worth twenty times as much as young Albion players who've done well in the Championship.

Funny old game..............................

Let's take the £52.5M for Cucurella, and walk away from the Colwill deal (although somehow I think that is a scenario Chelsea won't buy).

Last edited:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
To be fair, for me it’s certainly not an ability thing, but developing another clubs player over our own. Just don’t agree with it.

Maybe its actually seen as a way of helping us develop our players. If they don't think he's quite ready, this could be freeing Van Hecke to go and play another season of regular football on loan somewhere, whilst Chelsea's player along with Duffy, who Potter has praised for his role in the squad, will be cover for Dunk, Webster and Veltman. I'd imagine that a decision will be needed about Matt Clarke, I think he has a year left on his contract and if we don't see him as what we need, or if he wants first team football, the next few weeks would be the time to cash in on him. There are mentions online of Championship clubs like Watford, WBA and Stoke waiting to hear about his availability.

AlbionInUs

Oct 11, 2019
US
So - Colwill is a promising youngster who has had a good season on loan in the Championship. Fine..................

Jayson Molumby has had good seasons in the Championship. Gone - Albion's price, give or take, around £1M.
Viktor Gyokeres has had good seasons in the Championship. Gone - Albion's price, give or take, around £1M.
Ryan Longman had a good loan spell in the Championship. Gone - Albion's price, give ot take, around £1M.
Leo Ostigard has had good seasons in the Championship. Gone - Albion's price, debateable .... £4.5M with add-ons that could take it to £10M as a best guess.

Levi Colwill has had a good season in the Championship - so he must be worth? ............. oh wait a minute, he's owned by Chelsea[/B ...... and although the deals are, of course, seperate, it's not rocket science that Chelsea would really like the idea of getting Cucurella for £30M plus a young player with one good season in the Championship. Who'da thunk it - he's suddenly apparantly worth twenty times as much as young Albion players who've done well in the Championship.

Funny old game..............................

Let's take the £52.5M for Cucurella, and walk away from the Colwill deal (although somehow I think that is a scenario Chelsea won't buy).

Colwill just turned 19 and was part of the reason Huddersfield did so well last season. Molumby, Gyokeres, Longman, and Ostigard, while all good players that performed at a level just below or similar to Colwill, all did so at the ages of 22-24. Colwill has the potential to be better, and that’s why we are in interested

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

You are on fire today :lolol: :thumbsup:

Scorchio!

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Colwill just turned 19 and was part of the reason Huddersfield did so well last season. Molumby, Gyokeres, Longman, and Ostigard, while all good players that performed at a level just below or similar to Colwill, all did so at the ages of 22-24. Colwill has the potential to be better, and that’s why we are in interested

Interested - yes. £20M so Chelsea can off-set that against the price they pay for Cucu? No.

Has any deal been confrmed yet? - NSC seems all over a £62M deal for Cucu, but can't see any confirmation anywhere (and please don't refer me to some Tw@tter account!)

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

You are wrong about the ages of our players.

Ostigard was 20 when he joined Coventry on loan and 21 when he joined Stoke.
Molumby had 3 decent loan spells in the Championship starting at Millwall when he was 20. They wanted him on perm at the end of the season but we didn’t want to sell.
Longman was 20 when he first joined Hull and hadn’t long turned 21 when they signed him permanently.
Gyökeres was 22 when he went to Coventry, although he didn’t pull up any trees in that loan spell they saw enough to sign him permanently too. With plenty of hindsight he’s looking like a real steal for Coventry now.

Sure none of them may be as good as Levi Colwill in the long term but at the moment he hasn’t achieved much more than any of those players listed above. I certainly don’t see any reason for spending £20 million on him at the moment.

AlbionInUs

Oct 11, 2019
US
Interested - yes. £20M so Chelsea can off-set that against the price they pay for Cucu? No.

Has any deal been confrmed yet? - NSC seems all over a £62M deal for Cucu, but can't see any confirmation anywhere (and please don't refer me to some Tw@tter account!)
Is £20m a lot for a player with one good season in the championship? Perhaps. But the fee isn’t entirely driven by the fact that he’s a Chelsea player. It’s a factor of his performance, and mostly, his age. I’m sure Huddersfield would be demanding similar if they had owned him outright.

AlbionInUs

Oct 11, 2019
US
You are wrong about the ages of our players.

Ostigard was 20 when he joined Coventry on loan and 21 when he joined Stoke.
Molumby had 3 decent loan spells in the Championship starting at Millwall when he was 20. They wanted him on perm at the end of the season but we didn’t want to sell.
Longman was 20 when he first joined Hull and hadn’t long turned 21 when they signed him permanently.
Gyökeres was 22 when he went to Coventry, although he didn’t pull up any trees in that loan spell they saw enough to sign him permanently too. With plenty of hindsight he’s looking like a real steal for Coventry now.

Sure none of them may be as good as Levi Colwill in the long term but at the moment he hasn’t achieved much more than any of those players listed above. I certainly don’t see any reason for spending £20 million on him at the moment.

True. My memory of the ages was a bit off, but I think my point is still relevant… Molumby & Longman, though young, we’re only proven at lower Champ clubs. Molumby was unsuccessful at Preston & West Brom. He was worth a lot more after the Millwall loan IMO. Longman was decent, and a £1m fee was a bit low, but again, his potential is far off from what Colwill could be

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here